Jets, Colts Swap 1st Round Picks

CWood21

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I'm still not buying the Giants going QB at 2. There's a rush for the top four guys, but guy #5 - Lamar Jackson, the most dynamic athlete of the group - can probably be had in the late first/early 3/2nd, striking distance for the Giants outside of 1.2 and well within their grasp.

Get Barkley, move back into the late first to get Jackson, let Eli start while Jackson redshirts - 2019, Eli retires and you have a refined Jackson walking into a lineup with Barkley, Odell, Evan Engram, Sterling Shepard and an OL led by Nate Solder. 

There isn't a Rosen or Darnold led lineup that's nearly as explosive as that. 

Will somebody sign this man up as the Giants' GM??? The above sounds like more of a Plan than all this other wild speculation.

3 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Tell that to the Jags (from 3-13 to 10-6 with Fournette) or the Cowboys (3-13 to 12-4 with Elliott). Or the Rams who just had a resurgence behind the legs of Todd Gurley.

This narrative of being able to go RBBC is still holding up, but quickest bang for your buck is grabbing one of these rare guys who can transform an offense.

Cowboys have the offensive line, they did nearly the same thing with Murray. The Jags got where they were because of the defense 

5 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Cowboys have the offensive line, they did nearly the same thing with Murray. The Jags got where they were because of the defense 

The Jags were the 6th ranked scoring offense in the NFL. So, it wasn't "just" defense.

The Cowboys had guys like Murray, McFadden and Morris have big numbers behind that OL, but it's more than numbers - if you're not sold, then explain to me why the Cowboys came crashing back down to Earth the year where Zeke missed six games with his suspension.

Truth is, we're starting to see "super backs" coming back into focus. Wasn't but 10 years ago when guys like LT, Priest Holmes, Stephen Jackson and the like hit the field and completely dictated how a defense reacted. Teams got away from that with the spread, but you're seeing guys coming out that allow an offense to bring this into the spread/RPO systems in place.

Passing on Barkley is akin to passing on Randy Moss. If you don't have a clear cut #1 RB, you take Barkley - and the Giants haven't had a #1 since Tiki Barber.

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

No he doesn’t. A running back isn’t that valuable.

26 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Tell that to the Jags (from 3-13 to 10-6 with Fournette) or the Cowboys (3-13 to 12-4 with Elliott). Or the Rams who just had a resurgence behind the legs of Todd Gurley.

This narrative of being able to go RBBC is still holding up, but quickest bang for your buck is grabbing one of these rare guys who can transform an offense.

I think the point one of my league-mates applies more for those 3 situations - there is no set formula for resurgence / SB contention anymore.

1.  JAX - Fournette was a big piece - but so was adding Calais Campbell and AJ Bouye, then Marcel Dareus midseason to that D - 2 lockdown CB's, and interior pass rush and beefing up the run D to be truly elite-level D.    

2.  DAL - Elite OL...but it was there before.  Dak Prescott was great, but Romo was no slouch before.  And I think we realize Dak isn't a transcendant talent once we saw the OL have gaps this year.  On that count, I could give the nod to Zeke as the big difference-maker.

3   LAR - a huge improvement in the OL with Andrew Whitworth & John Sullivan, and of course, the emergence of Jared Goff.  Typical 1st year struggles with 2nd year progression.   Given Gurley was amazing in his rookie year, and then struggled year 2 behind a much worse OL and bad QB play, I think we can give it to Goff and better OL play.

Anyways, the 4 pieces that seem to help transform a team:

1.  Franchise QB emergence.   LA Rams, PHI, etc.

2.   Elite trench play (because elite OL also brings a great run game - the QB's best friend).   PHI's formula ...with #1.   You can argue that DAL followed this model somewhat (the rest of their D kinda sucks, but their front 4 is their biggest strength, plus Sean Lee).  

3.  The complete, elite-level D.  DEN 2015.  JAX last year. 

4.  The transcendant RB.   DAL & Zeke. 

The thing against the RB in the draft argument?   Longevity and positional devaluation.    I see that point.   But I would also agree that with the truly generational, HoF-talent RB, the difference they bring is very much worth it - but only if you have at least 1-2 of the other pieces above.  If you have none of them, then that guy is wasted.   That's probably the biggest argument against Barkley for NYG - they are so talent-poor on the OL (even with T Solder), and Eli's play is slipping so much, Barkley's impact may be muted.   Put him on a good OL and even just an average QB, though - and a big surge up in that O's production ensues.  

And to be clear - I don't think Fournette is a RB you should spend a 1st round pick on.  Not quite at the same level as Zeke or Gurley were.   To be honest, only Zeke and Gurley I'd have argued were worth top 10 picks.   But I do think that about Barkley.  He's that special.    My only concern is that on NYG, his impact will be muted on that O.   A Zeke and Gurley still need to have at least average QB play and a decent OL to let their special skills shine through.  Gurley's 2016 speaks to this.  I don't know that NYG fits the bill in either regard.

2 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Yeah, I think the football community has gone too far in terms of downplaying the importance of an elite RB. Outside of QB, an elite three down RB has the biggest impact on a team's offense. 

Just look at Jacksonville before Leonard arrived.

28 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Yeah, I think the football community has gone too far in terms of downplaying the importance of an elite RB. Outside of QB, an elite three down RB has the biggest impact on a team's offense. 

The thing is that Barkley in particular offers more than a regular running back. He is a Leveon Bell type where you can motion him out as a receiver and he'll beat whoever is covering him. He's as much of a threat in the passing game as he is in the run game. He opens up your offense. 

As a fan I wouldn't have done this . Jets are one bad season away from having Bowles fired . Teddy bridgewater is 25, if he sucks than you go next year with a new staff .

the Jets needed a lot of things . To me they where better off drafting Jackson in the second.

Good move by the colts, if Luck healthy this team can be turned around quickly .

52 minutes ago, game3525 said:

You'd think those guys would win more titles though without top QB play and/or an all time defense.

Archived