Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

3 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

Not really.  You don't have to stop the run.  You do have tomake it enticing enough that the team would consider running it on first and/or second down so that they possibly only gain 1-2 yards on those plays.  You have to stop the 15+ yard runs which actually move the ball.

At some point, you have to stop the pass to ever get off the field.  The DL's job is to make it possible to stop the run.  The rest of the team should worry about stopping the bigger threat.

https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/8791/establishing-the-run-is-a-recipe-for-losing-in-the-nfl/

From a philosophy standpoint, you're absolutely correct.

From an alignment standpoint, he's absolutely correct.

11 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

From a philosophy standpoint, you're absolutely correct.

From an alignment standpoint, he's absolutely correct.

From an alignment standpoint Capers trotted out the lightest packages of almost any DC ever, no?  He played nickle regardless, he played Dime aggressively.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

From an alignment standpoint Capers trotted out the lightest packages of almost any DC ever, no?  He played nickle regardless, he played Dime aggressively.

Not ever, but top 5 ever (which is really only saying top 5 this decade because developing league). Bob Sutton in KC runs lighter. James Bettcher formerly of the Cardinals, now with the Giants runs lighter. 

Capers pretty much matched personnel looks on 1st and 10 with very few exceptions (for pass catching backs and bad qb/blocking TEs/bad receiving back combos).

2nd and 5-9 tended to be nickel unless offensive personnel got really weird. 2nd and 10-longer tended to be pressure/coverage.

3rd and 4-long was almost always pressure/coverage.

He ran those down and distances super aggressive which was very infurating at times. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He ran those down and distances super aggressive which was very infurating at times. 

giving up a 15 yard run on 3rd and 4 is frustrating.  It's not much worse than a 9 yard pass though.

20 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

giving up a 15 yard run on 3rd and 4 is frustrating.  It's not much worse than a 9 yard pass though.

Except every offense with a veteran QB goes into the hurry up a that point and you've got 7 DBs on the field against the 11 personnel and you're getting pounded until you either call timeout or give up the TD. 

24 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You have to play fundamentally sound defense, especially against modern alignment teams who give the QB a call of run or pass at the LOS.

Pettine talked about this a bit in his interview - ( 14: 08)

He said if the QB knows the defense before the snap of the ball, you're in trouble.  Its the DCs job to create some uncertainty and doubt pre-snap and having versatile hybrid players allows that in terms of varying their assignments and confusing the identification by the opposing QB. ( 4:21)

Pettine is a former QB, he didn't get to the defensive side till later in his career

18 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Pettine talked about this a bit in his interview - ( 14: 08)

He said if the QB knows the defense before the snap of the ball, you're in trouble.  Its the DCs job to create some uncertainty and doubt pre-snap and having versatile hybrid players allows that in terms of varying their assignments and confusing the identification by the opposing QB. ( 4:21)

Pettine is a former QB, he didn't get to the defensive side till later in his career

Those were some phenomenal answers. I was really excited about this from the beginning, but that kinda sealed it for me. Answered every question perfectly.

I like Pettine don't get me wrong but I would've took Gus Bradley anyday and .......... I know I knowSan Diego/ LA  wouldn't let him come see us in interview but somebody of Bradley's stature we need......we need a 4-3 defensive guy argue all you want I know that's what we need let the hybrid 3-4 stuff go we would definitely be better that's a fact for me but argue I don't care 

1 hour ago, Deekster37 said:

I like Pettine don't get me wrong but I would've took Gus Bradley anyday and .......... I know I knowSan Diego/ LA  wouldn't let him come see us in interview but somebody of Bradley's stature we need......we need a 4-3 defensive guy argue all you want I know that's what we need let the hybrid 3-4 stuff go we would definitely be better that's a fact for me but argue I don't care 

ok

7 hours ago, Jaegybomb said:

I mean I understand shaping the defense around the players if you think Clay is a better 4-3 end but I don't think that's the case.

If we ran a 43 it would be likely a 43 under with Clay as WLB and mostly rushing, but in base we'd have Wilk and Perry on the edge and clay would be off ball. We don't have the edge personnel to run an effective 43 - they're too small

Someone prove me wrong because I'm probably wrong

37 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

If we ran a 43 it would be likely a 43 under with Clay as WLB and mostly rushing, but in base we'd have Wilk and Perry on the edge and clay would be off ball. We don't have the edge personnel to run an effective 43 - they're too small

Someone prove me wrong because I'm probably wrong

You're not wrong based on the interview with Pettine.

Pettine said he can run his defense with (2) mirror images at OLB or with 1 DE-type and 1 OLB type. Perry would seem to fit the DE-type role with the ability to put his hand in the dirt and mimic a 4-3 DE. Either way, Perry is gonna mostly be going forward - not dropping into coverage. 

It might actually be a better fit for Chris Odom too ( 6'4   265) , he seems more of a 4-3 DE than 3-4 OLB based on body type and lack of agility- and that's what ATL wanted him for when they signed him as a UDFA last year

Archived