Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

1 hour ago, Apex said:

If you say so.  Seems to me that between learning McCarthys offense and getting on the same page and gaining ARod's trust takes a season or two.

They’re re-drawing the entire offensive playbook. Everybody will have plenty to digest. 

Jennings came in as a rookie contributor. Just depends on if they can run routes. 

That's great gentlemen but the post I was responding to was saying we could get a starter potentially in the third round, I think that's highly unlikely.  I never stated that a rookie couldn't contribute just that a rookie's contributions would not be that significant. 

On 4/25/2018 at 10:04 AM, TheBitzMan said:

Don't know where you got your stats from? Week 17 v. Detroit, Gilbert had a sack and 2 tackles. Fackrell had 2 tackles. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201712310det.htm

Fackrell also played in 26 regular season games before that. All I am saying is Fackrell should not be on the field over guys with potential. You guys obviously have opposing views which is perfectly fine. If Pettine can fix him, more power to him. That would be great!

Interesting... I got my stats from Forecaster: http://www.sportsforecaster.com/nfl/roster/GB

I quit watching the the Lions game in the 1st quarter, so I don't know what stats are correct.

Anyway, this isn't an either or scenario. I hope they both bust out, I'm sure you do, too.

For Fackrell, to ignore how much better he was after the bye last year makes no sense. If he can improve a bit more and play like that for the entire 2018 season, the Packers will have a good 3rd OLB next year.

On the flip side, if Fackrell stinks it up again in preseason, he'll be cut

Anyone know if the Packers have said anything about moving Rollins to safety ? I'm starting to re=think the dirt I threw on his grave if we do. But not as a corner. At first I scoffed at the move, but maybe it could work. This has as much to do with the questions regarding Jones and Brice as anything. If Jones continues his struggles in space, maybe Rollins and his ball skills could fill that role nicely. I don't think he has a shot at a second contract (this being his last year) so he finds himself in no mans land. Don't know if there is enough time for him to make a good enough impression, but we may have a void there. This is one of the positions I thought Gute would have addressed, but he hasn't Of course this all becomes much easier if Jones can secure the spot next to HHCD. I just have lingering doubts

Initially I thought Rollins too small for the position - but he's right in there with others. We've got six guys on the roster already at Safety. I dont know how many UDFA's were signed up for the same slot. Of those already signed, all are either 2nd/3rd year guy's except HHCD. So the position's got depth to it IMO and is "protected" contractually. Did he ever play Safety?

If you look back at the Packers Super Bowl team in 2010 - they had a decent pass rush ( and great DBs)

Here's how the 2010 pass rush ( sack totals) compares vs the 2017 production grouped by position

2010    Total Sacks = 47

16 different players recorded at least 1/2 sack

LBs  - 25

DL - 19

DBs - 3

2017      Total Sacks =   37

13 different players recorded at least 1/2 sack

LBs -   23

DL - 11.5

DBs  - 3

The biggest difference is in the contribution from the DL. I realize its just one data point, but it points to bringing in sack-capable help on the DL ( like Big Mo) as one way to address the pass rush. I think GB can also expect another bump up in performance from Kenny Clark, who notched 4.5 last year

17 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

If you look back at the Packers Super Bowl team in 2010 - they had a decent pass rush ( and great DBs)

Here's how the 2010 pass rush ( sack totals) compares vs the 2017 production grouped by position

2010    Total Sacks = 47

LBs  - 25

DL - 19

DBs - 3

LBs -   23

DL - 11.5

DBs  - 3

The biggest difference is in the contribution from the DL. I realize its just one data point, but it points to bringing in sack-capable help on the DL ( like Big Mo) as one way to address the pass rush. I think GB can also expect another bump up in performance from Kenny Clark, who notched 4.5 last year

We also has 27 INTs vs 11 this year. One of the things you notice with Alexander AND Jackson is they're ball hawks - wouldn't be surprised if there was an emphasis specifically on that. 

5 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

We also has 27 INTs vs 11 this year. One of the things you notice with Alexander AND Jackson is they're ball hawks - wouldn't be surprised if there was an emphasis specifically on that. 

There was, McCarthy discussed that in a press conference. Said that that was what draw them to Alexander and Jackson. Plus you can just tell in the McCarthy era that that is a huge stat.

Give more chances to Rodgers.

On 5/4/2018 at 10:25 AM, deltarich87 said:

Damn Tramon went there

You've been spending too much time here, where it was never Capers' fault. The rest of the outside world knew better. Nothing wrong with telling the truth sometimes. Refreshing

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

You've been spending too much time here, where it was never Capers' fault. The rest of the outside world knew better. Nothing wrong with telling the truth sometimes. Refreshing

Its not that simple though. And anyone who thinks that including Tramon is wrong

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

2010    Total Sacks = 47

LBs  - 25

DL - 19

DBs - 3

LBs -   23

DL - 11.5

DBs  - 3

Good data points.

For overall context here are the league leaders in stats:

2010 - league leader: Pittsburgh with 48 sacks

2017 - league leader: Pittsburgh with 56 sacks

31 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Why do people insist this is true?  Nobody here has said Capers was without blame.  Not one person.  I knew Capers was wrong for us since the end of the 2016 season, but at the same time I'm capable of understanding that it was not his fault. 

We had Randall with a bad groin, Hyde and Gunter for the majority of 2016.  Randall, House and Hawkins for the majority of last year.  Nobody's getting it done with that lack of talent in the secondary. 

7 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Why do people insist this is true?  Nobody here has said Capers was without blame.  Not one person.  I knew Capers was wrong for us since the end of the 2016 season, but at the same time I'm capable of understanding that it was not his fault. 

We had Randall with a bad groin, Hyde and Gunter for the majority of 2016.  Randall, House and Hawkins for the majority of last year.  Nobody's getting it done with that lack of talent in the secondary. 

Respectfully, (seriously) I'm not going to open that can of worms. Of course it's not ever one thing, but IMO Capers was the main thing and I'll leave it at that.The sad thing, and the reason I'll leave it at that is I've browsed here a long time before joining and seen dozens of good posters chased out of here for having that opinion, and that is embarrassing how that went down. They were right, but the mob wouldn't allow it

Archived