Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

Here's Tramon commenting on Pettine's defense yesterday:

The veteran cornerback was extremely impressed by Pettine in 2015. “It’s very aggressive, man,” Williams said of Pettine’s scheme. “You have to be smart. It’s simple but it’s aggressive. There has to be a lot of smart guys on the field. Me being in that defense, I think I can guide some guys and teach some guys what they need to know in this defense. That’s why I think the move made sense.”

I think that's interesting in terms of signing vets like Williams and House - they buy some time to develop and smarten up the youngsters

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Here's Tramon commenting on Pettine's defense yesterday:

The veteran cornerback was extremely impressed by Pettine in 2015. “It’s very aggressive, man,” Williams said of Pettine’s scheme. “You have to be smart. It’s simple but it’s aggressive. There has to be a lot of smart guys on the field. Me being in that defense, I think I can guide some guys and teach some guys what they need to know in this defense. That’s why I think the move made sense.”

I think that's interesting in terms of signing vets like Williams and House - they buy some time to develop and smarten up the youngsters

Beat me to it :)

In addition to any new faces....Here's the Defensive Leapers that Pettine has to work with this year.

11 young defenders with some upside going into 2018

Kevin King, Josh Jones, Montravious Adams, Vince Biegel

Kenny Clark, Kyler Fackrell, Blake Martinez, Dean Lowery

Quentin Rollins, Jake Ryan

HaHa... 

1 hour ago, ugLymayNe said:

I can't wait until Gutey makes Fackrell one of the first cuts in August.

as soon as he drafts Landry he should cut Fackrell immediately... like within seconds after the 14th pick & they should have the commish announce it before the #15 pick to the crowd...

1 minute ago, driftwood said:

as soon as he drafts Landry he should cut Fackrell immediately... like within seconds after the 14th pick & they should have the commish announce it before the #15 pick to the crowd...

I really have no idea what TT was thinking with that Fackrell pick. He was basically a shot in the dark and not close to the athletic profile they covet.  

edge-justis.png

31 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

I really have no idea what TT was thinking with that Fackrell pick. He was basically a shot in the dark and not close to the athletic profile they covet.  

edge-justis.png

Let's blame Eliot Wolf

34 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

edge-justis.png

Besides Matthews and Perry we have sucked at drafting EDGE prospects yuck. The worst part is 3 of them have converted to ILB :S

39 minutes ago, driftwood said:

Yes.

However, even if Gut drafts a player at any position other than an edge in round 1, Fackrell should still be cut immediately.

And if Ward is the pick (or if another CB is drafted in rounds 1-3), Rollins should likewise be allowed to take his talents elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Besides Matthews and Perry we have sucked at drafting EDGE prospects yuck. The worst part is 3 of them have converted to ILB :S

Definitely agree but EDGE is pretty hard to find in the later rounds. The impact edge players around the league are usually 1st rounders and high first rounders at that. 

Which is why I am a pretty big advocate of going Landry at 14. 

9 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Yes.

However, even if Gut drafts a player at any position other than an edge in round 1, Fackrell should still be cut immediately.

And if Ward is the pick (or if another CB is drafted in rounds 1-3), Rollins should likewise be allowed to take his talents elsewhere.

im ok if they keep Rollins for camp/preseason battle... but Fack shouldnt be taking up a roster spot in the NFL at this point. there are future UDFA's that will serve a bigger role on a practice squad then what Fack offers

5 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Where they continued to suck at ILB.

Would love to know whose brilliant idea it was to take those who flamed out at OLB and put them at ILB over and over again the past 7 years.  

Some are so conditioned to this failed OLB to ILB model of player development that they are even entertaining the notion of Fackrell at ILB. Yuck.

Archived