Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

24 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

@raidr4life I wouldn't go after Ragland personally.  He might be better than Lee, but he's still largely unproven and still has a similar skillset.  I think we'd still get gashed by TEs and receiving backs

I know I sound like a broken record, but I wish we would go after more of a balanced LB and just had our DL do a good job of keeping them clean.

Here's  the thing I think Ragland can do some things in coverage, but this staff seems to want a run stopper first type, who can not be a liability in coverage. Going back some drafts, we were looking at Denzel Perriman, Ragland last year, and McMillian this year, and now drafting Lee. Don't forget the Lofton signing. Anyway I think our best 2 right now are Corey James and Tyrell Adams, don't know how Adam lost the starting job to Lee probably politics, but he has shown up in preseason.

47 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

@raidr4life I wouldn't go after Ragland personally.  He might be better than Lee, but he's still largely unproven and still has a similar skillset.  I think we'd still get gashed by TEs and receiving backs

I know I sound like a broken record, but I wish we would go after more of a balanced LB and just had our DL do a good job of keeping them clean.

Even as a 2 down guy, I'd want Ragland. He can erase the run between the tackles. If they want a 4th, I take it, unless his medical doesn't check out.

We probably won't have Lee in when playing nickel anyway..

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

Here's  the thing I think Ragland can do some things in coverage, but this staff seems to want a run stopper first type, who can not be a liability in coverage. Going back some drafts, we were looking at Denzel Perriman, Ragland last year, and McMillian this year, and now drafting Lee. Don't forget the Lofton signing. Anyway I think our best 2 right now are Corey James and Tyrell Adams, don't know how Adam lost the starting job to Lee probably politics, but he has shown up in preseason.

I guess I'm just skeptical of Ragland's movement and coverage abilities.  I have similar concerns for those guys as well.  If he covers as well as you think he can, no complaints here.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Even as a 2 down guy, I'd want Ragland. He can erase the run between the tackles. If they want a 4th, I take it, unless his medical doesn't check out.

We probably won't have Lee in when playing nickel anyway..

Not sure I'd throw a 4th at it considering he hasn't played a down and missed all of last year with a knee.  Specifically when he wasn't a burner to begin with. The bold is a good point though.  James and Jenkins/Adams/Obi? might be the nickel guys.  I'd offer a 5th (yes I'm that pedantic lol).

4 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I guess I'm just skeptical of Ragland's movement and coverage abilities.  I have similar concerns for those guys as well.  If he covers as well as you think he can, no complaints here.

Not sure I'd throw a 4th at it considering he hasn't played a down and missed all of last year with a knee.  Specifically when he wasn't a burner to begin with. The bold is a good point though.  James and Jenkins/Adams/Obi? might be the nickel guys.  I'd offer a 5th (yes I'm that pedantic lol).

He will probably be waived and we could try to get him for free. But there is no way he is worth a 5th IMO. Whether it's his injury or other guys just out plying him, he isn't where his team needs him to be. And he doesn't fit our scheme. What makes him worth a mid round pick again?

We traded Moore for a 6th and he actually had some production under his belt, just didn't fit our lockerroom to shine a light on value.

What I do not get is why are we trying to run a seattle style D but not willing to draft high/spend on LBs and DTs.  If you look at Seattles D they draft high on at least one player on every level on the Defense then suppliment the unit on the cheap.  We spend high picks and money on outside players only.  Also Seattle has drafted all of their starting LBs and DBs execept one and has gone thru FA for the front four.  We have done almost the complete oppisite.  We are not the most talented defense but there is no way we should be as weak as we are.  We ranked 26th in yards but the difference between us and 30th is only 125 for the season.  We were 20th in points allowed but that was mostly because we were second in takeaways.  We had 30 on the year but the league average was 22.  If we were closer to average and we assume roughly a three point difference per turnover, league average, we would have ranked 28th in points allowed.  This seems like a random idea, I picked the right thread for this, but if you look at takeaways they vary substantially from year to year for most teams.  2016 +16, 2015 +1, 2014 -15.  Maybe we are just getting better but it is something to keep an eye on.

11 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

He will probably be waived and we could try to get him for free. But there is no way he is worth a 5th IMO. Whether it's his injury or other guys just out plying him, he isn't where his team needs him to be. And he doesn't fit our scheme. What makes him worth a mid round pick again?

We traded Moore for a 6th and he actually had some production under his belt, just didn't fit our lockerroom to shine a light on value.

Yeah now that I think about it, I'd rather offer a 7th if we wanted him.  He wouldn't get to us on waivers.  But how much of an upgrade (if at all) would he be over Lee?  Lee has had the whole offseason learning our defense and Ragland has super low value right now.

25 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Yeah now that I think about it, I'd rather offer a 7th if we wanted him.  He wouldn't get to us on waivers.  But how much of an upgrade (if at all) would he be over Lee?  Lee has had the whole offseason learning our defense and Ragland has super low value right now.

Super low value, but super high ability.

4 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

The Bills don't seem to think so...

Cheap rebuttal but it felt like a layup. Sorry

McDermott explained that Hodges deserved the second-team reps he took behind starter Preston Brown, but that’s not necessarily an indictment on how Ragland is doing.

Reggie’s a young player who’s coming off of an injury and is only going to continue to get better. He’s working extremely hard. I thought he did some good things in the game tonight. Played downhill, played physical, so that will be a fun position to watch moving forward.”

Warning: Completely pointless hypothetical question!!!!!

There's been absolutely zero reports of Leonard Williams wanting out of NY, but we all know how massive of a Raider fan he is. There's no denying he wanted to be a Raider a couple years ago. Fast forward to today and the Jets realistically might field one of the worst rosters the NFL has ever seen. They have very little talent throughout their roser, with the exception of a few young guys and Williams being the big one. They are truly going full tank mode.

My question to you guys is if Leonard Williams was on the trade block, what would you offer NYJ? They are in full rebuild mode so it would most likely have to be picks and/or promising young guys. He has the versatility to play both inside and out, and would be an awesome all around player to compliment Mack/MEJ/Vanderdoes/etc.

6 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

There's been absolutely zero reports of Leonard Williams wanting out of NY, but we all know how massive of a Raider fan he is. There's no denying he wanted to be a Raider a couple years ago. Fast forward to today and the Jets realistically might field one of the worst rosters the NFL has ever seen. They have very little talent throughout their roser, with the exception of a few young guys and Williams being the big one. They are truly going full tank mode.

My question to you guys is if Leonard Williams was on the trade block, what would you offer NYJ? They are in full rebuild mode so it would most likely have to be picks and/or promising young guys. He has the versatility to play both inside and out, and would be an awesome all around player to compliment Mack/MEJ/Vanderdoes/etc.

Interesting, he was the one player I rated above Cooper in that draft so I'd love to have him on board.

There would be a couple factors at play, he's been playing under his rookie contract I believe until 2018 so he's affordable now but will probably want elite level money after that which we may not be able to afford if Mario Edwards plays well, Mack get his contract and Cooper gets paid too. It could be a 2 year kind of thing, however, he was the one bright spark on the Jets last year, constantly outplaying Richardson and Wilkerson and I'd love to have him on board.

I'd offer a 2nd round pick straight up for him which probably wouldn't be enough but I'd be disinclined to trade a first for a guy we might not even have in 2019. The Jets need practically everything so they're probably not interested in a vet as part of a trade so the only guys I could see them being interested in are our top young players. Mario Edwards is the obvious target as he would replace him but hopefully Connor Cook can show a flash and maybe they go insane and take Cook and a 2nd!

Williams would make a huge difference to our whole D but I just don't see how we could get him.

7 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Our 2018 1st round pick and Sean Smith.  The last part was a joke (Seriously though, I would love for them to take his salary off our hands lol).  I would definitely trade a 1st round pick for him though.  I think L. Williams would really help out.  If we are going to beat the Steelers, Chiefs, and Patriots in the playoffs, we're going to need to apply pressure on their quarterbacks.

Archived