49ers sign jonathan Cooper Guard

49erurtaza

4 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

when with the Browns he was good in un blocking and poor in pass blocking. 

He played with Dallas fo a while recently and seemed to do ok as well. 

you could certainly do worse. 

Yeah he will compete with Joshua Garnett and laken tomlinson for the starting spots. Hopefully we are able to draft a guard early in the draft.

He seemed about as safe as an interior OL prospect could be when 'Zona took him.  What a colossal bust he was for the price paid.   The injuries must have taken away a critical amount of athleticism.

Will he even compete for a starting job?   Seems like he'd be a swing interior guy.

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

He seemed about as safe as an interior OL prospect could be when 'Zona took him.  What a colossal bust he was for the price paid.   The injuries must have taken away a critical amount of athleticism.

Will he even compete for a starting job?   Seems like he'd be a swing interior guy.

Yeah we have a bunch of bust first round guards right now. Garnett spent on IR all last year and supposedly he transformed his body but we will have too see how this works out. Hopefully Nelson falls to us or we trade back and draft Isiah Wynn.

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

As bad as Garnett and Tomlinson are, I don't think that they are that bad. I don't see how he competes for a starting job unless he has suddenly gotten better. I would assume that he's coming to camp and competing with Zane Beadles for a back up role. Beadles is owed like 3.5 million...have no idea why we would pay him that this year. He's awful (though in fairness, he provides some versatility as he can play all three line positions awfully). Or he would compete with Eric Magnusson, an undrafted free agent from last year that made the team and actually got into some games. He and beadles sort of overlap as back up centers and guards who will pay tackle if absolutely necessary, so both of them are not necessary. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

As bad as Garnett and Tomlinson are, I don't think that they are that bad. I don't see how he competes for a starting job unless he has suddenly gotten better. I would assume that he's coming to camp and competing with Zane Beadles for a back up role. Beadles is owed like 3.5 million...have no idea why we would pay him that this year. He's awful (though in fairness, he provides some versatility as he can play all three line positions awfully). Or he would compete with Eric Magnusson, an undrafted free agent from last year that made the team and actually got into some games. He and beadles sort of overlap as back up centers and guards who will pay tackle if absolutely necessary, so both of them are not necessary. 

I think Beadles is there simply because you need a backup C.   But like you said, he's an OK backup...as long as he's not on the field.

I get signing Cooper, it's a low risk move.   And bodies matter.  It's not like you can have only 5 guys who can play on your team.   DAL found that out the hard way when Tyron Smith went down, and WAS when...pretty much their entire OL went down. 

At least you guys signed someone with some upside.   We signed.....Billy Taylor.   Sigh.

Waiting to hear about the terms of the contract, but Cooper was more than serviceable for Dallas and flashed some of his old athleticism in the 2nd-level blocking that he had in UNC. He's an intelligent, great character guy but seemed to have a rough start to his career in the NFL.   He is coming off a knee surgery, though (probably not a big deal if the Niner's were confident in signing him).  

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I get signing Cooper, it's a low risk move.   And bodies matter.  It's not like you can have only 5 guys who can play on your team.   DAL found that out the hard way when Tyron Smith went down, and WAS when...pretty much their entire OL went down.

I have to go off on a tangent here:

It had everything to do with a two-part crap cocktail that was the Chaz Green scenario:

- Dallas, and us fans, saw how well Chaz stepped in for Tyron early in 2016 at the LT position and immediately thought he was the swing tackle extraordinaire from that point on. Had Dallas not have messed with it, maybe all would have been fine with Chaz. But....

- Dallas decided to get cute and utilize the "put your best 5 O-linemen" on the field (whether it's a fit or not) and had Chaz spending the entire training camp at left guard. He did "okay" there, but not great...certainly not any better than Cooper.  But still, the brain trusts at Dallas persisted with this notion that anyone that can play tackle can easily convert to guard. In short, they stunted Green's growth, clouded his head and pushed all of the marbles in that he could be an LG and, in a pinch,  swing back out to tackle. 

[Reality hits you hard, Bro!]

Whelp....Chaz ended up losing the starting LG spot to Cooper early in the season, sat the bench and when he was called-on to fill in for an injured Tyron in the Atlanta game, he made Atlanta DE Claiborne look like a pro-bowler.  That Atlanta mauling that he and Byron Bell allowed (8 sacks plus around 10 QB hits) screwed-up Dak's confidence for the rest of the season.  Had the Dallas coaches left Chaz alone and let him spend his time in training camp taking developing snaps at OT, we probably wouldn't be talking about the depth behind that O-line. The LG position with Cooper/Loonie was not a weak link. The breakdown had everything to do with the LT position and the lack of competent depth. You can't screw that position up or it will sink the ship when utilizing a stale, slow-developing 90's passing scheme like Garrett has installed. Hopefully, the Dallas FO have learned a lesson and now see that the depth behind the tackle position is too critical get cute with.   Now, if they can also apply that philosophy with other positions on the defense (DT's and Safeties)...

Archived