2017 Preseason GDT Wk 1 Browns vs. Saints

Bucketheadsdad

I like what I saw from Cadwell, Calhoon, Fleming, and Garrett on D. Big props to the secondary on run stopping as well. Williams has a good pass rush forming from what I saw as well! 

Offensively - Kizer!!!! He looked promising. Some mistakes of course, he has a lot to still learn. AND I want him to learn not get thrown to the wolves. 

What I didn't like - Brock not getting on the same page as his WRs. Maybe that is because he hasn't had too many reps with them? 

My quote from the game at 4 minutes left - A potential champion drives down the field and scores the winning touchdown. :D

That is all

Mastercheddaar

20 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

What I didn't like - Brock not getting on the same page as his WRs. Maybe that is because he hasn't had too many reps with them? 

I dont know if that is the reason or not. He looked like the same brock that was in denver and houston.  Horrible downfield accuracy and captain check down.

I was happy to see Schobert and Orchard being productive.  I hope both make the team.  Orchard especially was a beast at DE in college.  He could be great spelling both Ogbah and Garrett, and great insurance in case of injury.

I was hoping to see Crow ripping their first team for at least a few chunk gains before the starters left, a little bummed in that regard.

47 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

I was happy to see Schobert and Orchard being productive.  I hope both make the team.  Orchard especially was a beast at DE in college.  He could be great spelling both Ogbah and Garrett, and great insurance in case of injury.

I was hoping to see Crow ripping their first team for at least a few chunk gains before the starters left, a little bummed in that regard.

I loved how well Orchard disengaged from blocks. I had Tyrone Holmes a head of Orchard before the game, now I have switched it up. 

10 hours ago, buno67 said:

I dont know if that is the reason or not. He looked like the same brock that was in denver and houston.  Horrible downfield accuracy and captain check down.

I haven't watched the game yet but for timing to be to blame it still had to be really close on his misses to use that excuse. You can't think an NFL WR is going to have the speed of a peewee player or a sports car. They are all pretty quick and fast for humans. The throws should be in the neighborhood.

13 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I haven't watched the game yet but for timing to be to blame it still had to be really close on his misses to use that excuse. You can't think an NFL WR is going to have the speed of a peewee player or a sports car. They are all pretty quick and fast for humans. The throws should be in the neighborhood.

They should also be inside the boundary lines.

non-QB-related takeaways from the game:

• Myles Garrett is better than advertised.  He's like Von Miller but bigger right now, and could get better.  Scary to think about, if you're an NFL QB for any of the other 31 teams.
  • Defense showed a fierce commitment to tackle, with the exception of Tank Carder.  [People who question Chris Tabor's continued employment somehow gloss over the slowest, worst tackling linebacker in the NFL.  Parents, teach your slow, non-tackling linebacker sons to cover kicks.]  Every other player looked well coached and disciplined in the art of bringing down the ball carrier.  Hell, I even saw Calvin Pryor wrap up a guys legs.  That comes from good coaching, and it's impossible to fake.  
  • Nate Orchard showed up for two consecutive plays.  That could be good for Sashi if there's a DE needed somewhere.  At best, he's our 4th DE.  The case could be made for Holmes or Schult for that spot, who may have not had two consecutive plays, but both had excellent nights in their own right.  If Orchard has any chance of being in the top 3 of a DE rotation, it's not going to be in Cleveland.  A conditional pick seems like a good return for a player we are likely excluding from future plans, who is still under contract for two very cheap (less than $1.5M) years.
  • Duke Johnson is our 3rd best wide receiver, and he just started playing the position a mere three weeks ago.  Hue is very good at converting players to WR.
  • Cam Erving is living proof that an OL pick in round 1 is just as risky of busting as any other position.
  • Shon Coleman looked pretty decent in pass pro, and very good in run blocking.  Should be fine at RT with him there.
  • Matt Dayes is better than any day 3 RB we've ever picked.  Does all the 3rd down back things well, and then some.  The cut to get into the endzone was very choice.

1 hour ago, ditchdigger said:

To piggy back what you just posted.  I was going to post this quote and article in the Kizer thread but I saw your post and decided I'd throw it in here:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/08/browns_eager_to_see_deshone_ki.html#incart_river_index

"Lee, who's worked with the likes of Vinny Testaverde, Tony Romo, Drew Bledsoe, Chad Pennington and Tarvaris Jackson, sees instincts in Kizer that blow him away.

They were on display on the play preceding his game-winning 45-yard TD pass to Jordan Payton on fourth and 2. It was third and 24 from the 33, and Kizer cleared out a linebacker en route to a high-level 22-yard pass to Ranell Hall on a comeback route.

"It's called the ocean route where he shoulder-shrugged the flat defender and moved left and threw right behind him,'' said Lee. "That's really, really good. I hadn't taught that yet because I don't think he's ready for it yet, but that's how natural his instincts are and how good he is and can be. The timing was unbelievable. He did that on his own.''"

Archived