Bell + 1st for Beckham?

Money

Beckham's time in New York is now over. Now you focus on maximizing the return for the asset. With some of these trades where players were traded for picks, I'd say the value was skewed to the team getting the player for the pick. A player for player swap might be good for both parties. 

New York Giants give Le'Veon Bell 5 years, $75m

Pittsburgh Steelers give Odell Beckham 5 years, $100m

Beckham $20m signing bonus. $12m roster bonus. Year one salary $12m. Years 2-5 $14m salary. Year one cap hit - $16m. $2m more than Bell tag price.

There's talk Steelers need WR and this would put that to bed. Giants could use a RB because they don't have a RB. If the Browns take Barkley, I'd swap picks with the Jets, so they could take Darnold leaving Quenton Nelson or Bradley Chubb for the Giants at 3rd overall. Still get your guy and pick up a few extra picks. 

PIT trades Le'Veon Bell and 2019 conditional 2nd rd pick for Odell Beckham

*condition if Steelers win Super Bowl, becomes a 1st

Just now, Acgott said:

OBJ's time on the Giants is 100% not over. I also wouldn't make that trade.

It would seem John Mara is tired of Beckham's antics. And if Odell is saying I'm not playing without a new deal, then it would seem that this marriage will fall apart. 

6 minutes ago, Money said:

It would seem John Mara is tired of Beckham's antics. And if Odell is saying I'm not playing without a new deal, then it would seem that this marriage will fall apart. 

Him holding out was expected. Mara is just owners talk for leverage. They will get a long term deal.

4 hours ago, Money said:

Mara just said dealing OBJ "Is not a scenario I would like to see happen,"  today. So I don't know where you heard that

17 hours ago, Money said:

Co-owner Steve Tisch explicitly said that it has not gotten to the point where the distractions are too much. You're projecting and falling for the media narrative. 

19 hours ago, Money said:

@Money- Just a wild guess- you're a Pittsburgh Steelers fan, and this is something you are hoping will happen?

21 hours ago, Money said:

Beckham's time in New York is now over. Now you focus on maximizing the return for the asset. With some of these trades where players were traded for picks, I'd say the value was skewed to the team getting the player for the pick. A player for player swap might be good for both parties. 

Beckham $20m signing bonus. $12m roster bonus. Year one salary $12m. Years 2-5 $14m salary. Year one cap hit - $16m. $2m more than Bell tag price.

There's talk Steelers need WR and this would put that to bed. Giants could use a RB because they don't have a RB. If the Browns take Barkley, I'd swap picks with the Jets, so they could take Darnold leaving Quenton Nelson or Bradley Chubb for the Giants at 3rd overall. Still get your guy and pick up a few extra picks. 

i stopped reading after the first sentence. 

On 3/27/2018 at 2:41 PM, mattbags2313 said:

i stopped reading after the first sentence. 

This is just classic tears of losing a great player. Noooo they won't trade him. As for today, they said they want two 1st rd picks, but they aren't shopping him. Isn't that shopping him? They won't get that, which is why Bell is much better value than two unknowns

1 hour ago, Money said:

This is just classic tears of losing a great player. Noooo they won't trade him. As for today, they said they want two 1st rd picks, but they aren't shopping him. Isn't that shopping him? They won't get that, which is why Bell is much better value than two unknowns

Nope your proposal is just stupid. Bell is a RB, meaning he has accumulated a lot mileage. Those are reports, it’s nothing concrete. Schefter also said that he thinks the Giants will let him go for less than the reported asking price

1 hour ago, Money said:

Yes because replying to someone asking about a players value is shopping him.

I'd rather have Barkley than Bell at this point. Bell has far less tread on his tires these days and Barkley would be far less "expensive" not having to give up OBJ. I hate playing in these ridiculous hypotheticals for the most part but since this story won't go away, I was thinking about it and I would actually consider the following:

CLE receives:

Odell Beckham Jr. 

NYG receive:

2018 1st Round Pick (No. 4)

2018 4rd Round Pick

2019 1st Round Pick 

It's a lot for Cleveland to give up and you could easily call them crazy if they did this but at some point they have to cash in the picks they are accumulating and hit on talent. This would set Cleveland up to still take the QB of their choosing at #1 and have OBJ and Landry for him to throw to and sets us up to take a QB at #2 and Barkley at #4. If the Jets change their plan and go Barkley at #3, we still take Chubb or Nelson #4. 

This obviously sets us up with a big void at WR1 but if you look at Shurmur's MIN offense, they turned two later rounds / undrafted guys into big time receivers. We would still have Shepard, Engram and Barkley in this situation as well as our QB of the future. Those are still pretty good weapons and all of them under control for a few more years at least. 

2 hours ago, GMENNATION said:

I'd rather have Barkley than Bell at this point. Bell has far less tread on his tires these days and Barkley would be far less "expensive" not having to give up OBJ. I hate playing in these ridiculous hypotheticals for the most part but since this story won't go away, I was thinking about it and I would actually consider the following:

CLE receives:

Odell Beckham Jr. 

NYG receive:

2018 1st Round Pick (No. 4)

2018 4rd Round Pick

2019 1st Round Pick 

It's a lot for Cleveland to give up and you could easily call them crazy if they did this but at some point they have to cash in the picks they are accumulating and hit on talent. This would set Cleveland up to still take the QB of their choosing at #1 and have OBJ and Landry for him to throw to and sets us up to take a QB at #2 and Barkley at #4. If the Jets change their plan and go Barkley at #3, we still take Chubb or Nelson #4. 

This obviously sets us up with a big void at WR1 but if you look at Shurmur's MIN offense, they turned two later rounds / undrafted guys into big time receivers. We would still have Shepard, Engram and Barkley in this situation as well as our QB of the future. Those are still pretty good weapons and all of them under control for a few more years at least. 

No offense, but there is no way in the world I would give up two first round picks (one of which is #4 overall) for a wide receiver who would cost me big money against the salary cap right away.  I will grant you that he might be worth their #4 this year, but not another (likely high) first round pick.

Another thing I wouldn't do is trade Beckham for Bell, as was proposed by the OP in this thread.  It wouldn't make any sense to do that if you can keep Beckham and then draft Barkley, who will likely be just as good or better than Bell.  Then you would have two elite players at the skill positions in your offense, with one of them on a rookie contract for the next few years.

It's not a foregone conclusion that OBJ is going, as the OP claims, but a word of caution to the Giants fans posting here; when talk gets this far along as far as a trade goes, it almost always happens. And the trading team's attitude is rarely one of , "Good riddance!", as that is counterproductive to getting the best deal. 

A few other observations:

Do the Steelers have a hole at WR that they need a high salaried, All-Pro kind of guy to fill? Did I miss something?

If the OP believes that the Maras are fed up with OBJs antics, what makes him think that the Rooneys would be more forgiving?

Nobody is paying Leveon Bell that kind of money. Nor does he have that sort of draft capital.

If OBJ gets traded anywhere, there's really only two likely possibilities, and that's the Jets or the Browns, with the Browns having more to offer in return. If something happens where they do move OBJ look for him going one of those two places. 

23 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

No offense, but there is no way in the world I would give up two first round picks (one of which is #4 overall) for a wide receiver who would cost me big money against the salary cap right away.  I will grant you that he might be worth their #4 this year, but not another (likely high) first round pick.

Another thing I wouldn't do is trade Beckham for Bell, as was proposed by the OP in this thread.  It wouldn't make any sense to do that if you can keep Beckham and then draft Barkley, who will likely be just as good or better than Bell.  Then you would have two elite players at the skill positions in your offense, with one of them on a rookie contract for the next few years.

Agreed, I probably wouldn't do it if I were the Browns. And yes, your point on Barkley is 100% why I wouldn't take Bell either.

Archived