Non-QBs projected to go high in the draft that you are not sold on

VanS

On 4/3/2018 at 8:11 AM, navysaintsfan said:

As a diehard LSU fan, I know for a fact that I wouldn't touch Arden Key. I don't care for anything about his game. Talent is there, but I don't think the kid has any heart. Nothing in his game wows me. Watching games he didn't seem to have the motor or drive you see from other big name defenders. I think the kid will bust hard.

Where were you with him in 2016? Just asking....

35 minutes ago, VanS said:

Probably athleticism related.  Quenton Nelson is not a good athlete.  So that is a knock.  I think he's a good OG prospect.  However, I don't think he's the generational talent people have made him out to be.  My NFL comp for him would be Zach Martin.  And I would take him in the same range Zach Martin ultimately went (10-15).  He's not worthy of being the top 5-10 pick people hyped him up to be early on.

Zack Martin is arguably the best offensive lineman in all of football (top 5 on a bad day). If you sit here and tell me, even with the gift of hindsight, that you would not take him top five than there just is not a single reason to discuss anything football-related with you from this point.

Zack Martin was plenty good enough of an athlete. Awful take. Literally awful.

13 minutes ago, Da_Ducktator said:

Zack Martin is arguably the best offensive lineman in all of football (top 5 on a bad day). If you sit here and tell me, even with the gift of hindsight, that you would not take him top five than there just is not a single reason to discuss anything football-related with you from this point.

Nelson has a better body than Martin, taller and heavier with bigger hands and longer arms. 

His numbers are the same, similar or better. His bench is much better for someone with longer arms. But benching doesn't really correlate. 

1 hour ago, Da_Ducktator said:

I wouldn't take Zack Martin top 5 even if I knew he was going to be as good as he is. An OG doesn't impact wins and losses unless they suck. Zack Martin doesn't get you any more wins than Kyle Long or Brandon Brooks or Trai Turner would have gotten you...unless you move him to OT and he also dominates there.

3 hours ago, VanS said:

Well I have Antonio Callaway rated as a top 5 overall player in this class so I would definitely take him much earlier than the 5th round.  With a guy of his talent level, I'm gonna take a chance on him.  Plus I don't think his off-field issues make him as much of a lost cause as most people make him out to be.  I believe he can turn it around.

What evidence do you have to support this? There's nothing in his character that would indicate this.

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

I wouldn't take Zack Martin top 5 even if I knew he was going to be as good as he is. An OG doesn't impact wins and losses unless they suck. Zack Martin doesn't get you any more wins than Kyle Long or Brandon Brooks or Trai Turner would have gotten you...unless you move him to OT and he also dominates there.

In an off-season where Andrew Norwell got paid and we have one of the best OG prospects ever who is highly likely to go top 10, we still have people who think like this.

Unbelievable.

On 3/29/2018 at 1:54 PM, Teen Girl Squad said:

Calvin Ridley. Yeah, I'm not a big believer in drafting unathletic WRs in the first round.

He ran a 4.43 40 and posted a 6.88 3CD. The guy is a smooth route runner with deep speed. I'm not sure why anyone would care about his jump numbers. That's not how he wins. It's like complaining about Peyton Manning not running a fast 40.

On 4/1/2018 at 12:54 PM, MSURacerDT55 said:

- Yeah, I just don't see him in the same class as a Myles Garrett, Khalil Mack, Von Miller, Clowney. Just a notch below, there just isn't anything extraordinary about him and his game, basically good but not great.

- Landry is a one trick pony as a pass rusher who didn't offer anything to the run game in college and won't all of the sudden be great at it in the next level. I think Shane Ray is a safe comparison for him if all goes well.

- Hurst, just because he was good in college doesn't mean he will be good on the next level, he is undersized and has physical limitations, not a good combination heading to the next level where guys are humongous, strong and have outstanding technique. His lower body is just plain insufficient in my book.

He's much more than a one trick pony, and he's a far better athlete than Ray. I'd say Junior Galette before the injuries is what Landry can be in the NFL.

4 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

In an off-season where Andrew Norwell got paid and we have one of the best OG prospects ever who is highly likely to go top 10, we still have people who think like this.

Unbelievable.

It's silly. Archaic beliefs just don't die.

11 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

I wouldn't take any guard in the top 5 of a good draft (like this one).  Not even Larry Allen.  The position is simply not important enough to waste that high a pick on.  Especially if there are good quarterbacks, pass rushers, and defensive backs available (as is the case this year).  You can find solid guards that give you close to the same value the elite guards do at a much cheaper price.

Maybe you don't take positional value into consideration when it comes to the draft.  I do.  Its really that simple.

9 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

What evidence do you have to support this? There's nothing in his character that would indicate this.

I just feel like I have a good sense when it comes to judging character.  Last year I was one of the few people on here who was very much against taking Reuben Foster in the first round given his off-field and character issues.  He just gave off a look and vibe of a guy who was always gonna be a trouble maker.  And after one year it looks like I was right.  Its possible he's suspended for most of next season given the domestic violence charge he's facing one month after getting arrested for marijuana possession.  I remember arguing with people around this time last year who thought Reuben Foster's off-field issues weren't a big deal.

Unlike Foster, Antonio Callaway doesn't give off the look or vibe of a trouble maker.  He looks like a very innocent kid to me with a good heart.  I believe his problems are largely a product of the environment he grew up in and still lives around.  I think getting away from Florida could do wonders for him.  Also, I believe he recently had a daughter so having to provide for a child could lead to some maturity as well.   I just have a good feeling about Antonio Callaway being able to turn things around.

Quenton Nelson is the prospect I came in almost wanting to be critical of as someone who had played entirely at guard and was receiving so much hype. Man, his tape is so flawless it completely won me over, he really is the perfect guard prospect.

13 hours ago, Jeezla said:

I like how to discredit Zack Martin's value to an offensive line's success, you name a players making 10M/Year, 8M/Year, and 11M/Year respectively. Andrew Norwell, just got paid more than any other offensive lineman on Per Year bases (Not including Solder). If Zach Martin hit free agency, his contract would well exceed Solder's. And you're going to tell me Elite guard play isn't necessary?

Archived