Non-QBs projected to go high in the draft that you are not sold on

VanS

15 hours ago, jebrick said:

Almost all CBs coming out of college are grabby because the rules allow it. Ward has the speed and ability to not NEED it.  Whether he can learn is another story.

True, I watched another reply of the Ohio State vs Michigan game this season.  Ward sure can blanket the hell out of WRs.  He is all over them in perfect coverage most of the time.  Easily is the most smooth cover man in the draft and with that speed could make him pretty special.  Sure would have liked some more INTs from him in college which could be an issue at the next level, because one has to have ball skills to actually get the football when you are in position.  But in terms of pure coverage he is pretty nice.  

Mackensie Alexander had that problem in college, was a great cover man, not as athletic as Ward but also did not get any INTs in college and that lack of ball skills has followed him at the next level.  Even though most has to do with length but also ability to jump routes and anticipate instead of just shadow guys all the time.  Lattimore for example showed a lot more ball skills that RS SOPH year than Ward ever has, but Ward is more smooth in shadow type coverage.  

13 hours ago, Jeezla said:

I wouldn't take Zack Martin top 5 even if I knew he was going to be as good as he is. An OG doesn't impact wins and losses unless they suck. Zack Martin doesn't get you any more wins than Kyle Long or Brandon Brooks or Trai Turner would have gotten you...unless you move him to OT and he also dominates there.

This couldn’t be more true.

44 minutes ago, YogiBiz said:

I like how to discredit Zack Martin's value to an offensive line's success, you name a players making 10M/Year, 8M/Year, and 11M/Year respectively. Andrew Norwell, just got paid more than any other offensive lineman on Per Year bases (Not including Solder). If Zach Martin hit free agency, his contract would well exceed Solder's. And you're going to tell me Elite guard play isn't necessary?

The average contract of a guard is more than that of a running back, wide receiver, tight end, linebacker (inside or outside), cornerback, and strong safety.

But somehow, guard is the least important position on the football field according to the guy who said Josh Dobbs is the next Randall Cunningham.

11 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

This is so dumb though...

It takes just one coach ( Marvin Lewis ¬¬)  with that attitude to pick him early.  He does have the talent but I would not touch Callaway until the 5th when you could balance out the risk.

53 minutes ago, YogiBiz said:

I like how to discredit Zack Martin's value to an offensive line's success, you name a players making 10M/Year, 8M/Year, and 11M/Year respectively. Andrew Norwell, just got paid more than any other offensive lineman on Per Year bases (Not including Solder). If Zach Martin hit free agency, his contract would well exceed Solder's. And you're going to tell me Elite guard play isn't necessary?

The Seahawks won a SB with JR Sweezy and James Carpenter at OG. No, elite OG's aren't necessary. If they were, the Browns would have won a game. They have the best OG duo in the NFL with Bitonio and Zeitler, and it got them jack squat. Having elite OG's is about as important as having an elite long snapper. Aka not important at all. They just need to not suck.

7 minutes ago, jebrick said:

It takes just one coach ( Marvin Lewis ¬¬)  with that attitude to pick him early.  He does have the talent but I would not touch Callaway until the 5th when you could balance out the risk.

I know and I could see him going early, but I think it's dumb to look at someone that's been a problem on multiple occasions and just say, "mehh...he seems like a nice guy." And then look at someone else and go, "that boy has the devil in him."

You can't tell if someone's a bad person based on a hunch and the look of their face. You can do it based on their character and if we're evaluating Callaway on that, he's a piece of crap.

28 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I know and I could see him going early, but I think it's dumb to look at someone that's been a problem on multiple occasions and just say, "mehh...he seems like a nice guy." And then look at someone else and go, "that boy has the devil in him."

You can't tell if someone's a bad person based on a hunch and the look of their face. You can do it based on their character and if we're evaluating Callaway on that, he's a piece of crap.

Well, if it's his 8th mug shot....

(but yes, point made lol)

43 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

The Seahawks won a SB with JR Sweezy and James Carpenter at OG. No, elite OG's aren't necessary. If they were, the Browns would have won a game. They have the best OG duo in the NFL with Bitonio and Zeitler, and it got them jack squat. Having elite OG's is about as important as having an elite long snapper. Aka not important at all. They just need to not suck.

Tell that to teams playing the Rams, Eagles, Vikings, etc

1 minute ago, BowlesDawgDX said:

When you have Fletcher Cox or Aaron Donald, the opposing OG doesn't matter. Did you see the Panthers against us? They ran for like 1 ypc behind Norwell.

1 minute ago, BowlesDawgDX said:

Yeah there is no set way to win. The Seahawks won with a bad OL, but they had good WR's, a great RB, and an elite defense. It's stupid to act like teams can just consistently overcome terrible guard play. Teams with elite guard play have also won Super Bowls. The Seahawks when they ran behind Hutchinson 99% of the time in 2004ish won the Super Bowl. If you want to run the football successfully and keep a statuesque QB upright, investing in your guards is absolutely a great idea.

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah there is no set way to win. The Seahawks won with a bad OL, but they had good WR's, a great RB, and an elite defense. It's stupid to act like teams can just consistently overcome terrible guard play. Teams with elite guard play have also won Super Bowls. The Seahawks when they ran behind Hutchinson 99% of the time in 2004ish won the Super Bowl. If you want to run the football successfully and keep a statuesque QB upright, investing in your guards is absolutely a great idea.

Terrible guard play is one thing. That means you have Danny Watkins (Turnstile 63) or Frank Omiyale (Gate 68) and your QB is taking hits right after the snap. Average guard play is good enough to win a SB with though, if you have a good all around team.

OGs are undervalued in the draft because they always have help.  Just like centers.  It will be a weak draft or an amazing prospect for OG that will go in the top 10.  I think Nelson is very much like DeCastro in all aspects.  I still think he should go in the 10-18 range.  Yes he is one of the top 5 talents in the draft but he is not going in the top 5 of the draft.

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

I need to send this post to every Broncos fan who wants us to draft Nelson at #5.

Archived