Packfanfb's "4 weeks from the Draft" Mock

packfanfb

Over the next 4 weeks, my dream scenario plays out like this: 

Packers currently around $17 million in cap

FA's added Pre-Draft: 

1. Jordan Matthews (WR) -- just makes too much sense. Guy is 26 with upside still. Immediately helps in the slot and can play outside with his size. Cobb also in the last year of his contract. Between now and April 26 we should be able to get a deal done with Matthews to bolster the WR core going into the draft. 

2. Bashaud Breeland (CB) -- he's the best CB available and in fact was in my top-5 CBs available when FA first started. If GB would have landed him in week 1 of FA I would have been stoked and now you possibly get him at a discount. Moreover, unlike DRC, House, or Breaux, Breeland is not simply a stop-gap. He's 26 and has a future yet. Has to show he's going to fully recover of course from the injury, but landing Breeland now gives you a solid starter opposite King on the boundary and lessens the need to go CB in the first couple rounds of the draft. 

Draft: 

RD 1 (14) – Marcus Davenport (EDGE) – Texas-San Antonio -- At this pick it's really between Landry and Davenport for me (with LVE right there as well). I've mocked both Landry and Davenport before, this one is Davenport. I'd be happy either way. 

RD 2 – TRADE – Packers move up to Pick 36 (Indy)

Packers trade Picks 45 and 101 (Points = 546)

Packers get Pick 36 (Points = 540)

(36) Lorenzo Carter (ILB/EDGE) – Georgia -- Packers have 12 picks and don't see 12 roster spots. As a SB-aspiring team, I'd like to see a trade-up or two to target some potentially special players. Carter is one of them. We miss out on Edmunds and LVE and Carter is next in line as a "freak" hybrid type player who can play inside and out, sideline to sideline. Pettine gets two front seven toys right from the start which instantly improves our pass rush, our speed up front and allows for more flexibility in moving around Clay. 

RD 3 (76) – Michael Gallup (WR) – Colorado St. -- I like Gallup. He's not a speed demon but I saw a Crabtree comparison and I agree. He's tough, has enough burst to separate and uses his body and hands well. We all know that Packers WR's have to be able to catch in traffic, use body position and catch the back-shoulder. Gallup can do those things. 

RD 4 – TRADE – Packers move up to Pick 116 (Dallas)

Packers trade picks 133 and 174 (Points = 60.4)

Packers get Pick 116 (Points – 62)

(116) Taron Johnson (CB) – Weber St. -- Packers seize another opportunity to go get a player rather than sitting on too many day-3 picks. They move up to get a CB, which after signing Breeland is no longer a position of "dire" need, but one of needed depth. Johnson is a little slender at only 180 lbs or so but he's tough and strong (17 reps) and fast enough (4.5). Instant slot defender who reminds me a bit of Hayward. 

RD 5 (138) – Troy Fumagalli (TE) – Wisconsin -- Fumagalli isn't an athletic beast, but he does everything pretty well and is a steady player. Good compliment to Graham and Kendricks who are different types of players versus the more balanced, well-rounded Fumagalli. 

RD 5 (172) – Madison Cole (OL) – Washington St. -- Versatile OL who played a lot tackle in college but is probably a better guard in the pros. Pretty much Packers' style. 

RD 6 (186) – Natrell Jamerson (S) – Wisconsin -- Disclaimer: I'm not a UW fan, just happened to double-down on Badgers. Jamerson could go earlier than this because he ran a 4.4 at the combine and had 25 reps on the bench. He strikes me a jack-of-all-trades kind of guy with average size for a safety, but fast/quick enough to play in the slot. Likely a very solid ST guy as well. 

RD 6 (207) – Brett Toth (OT) – Army -- Hopefully Alejandro Villanueva part deux. 

RD 7 (232) – Bilal Nichols (DE/DT) -- Delaware -- Add a body on a pretty deep DL. Nichols is 6'4", 305 lbs, good body type for our defense, who had 10.5 sacks the last two years at Delaware. 

RD 7 (239) – Trey Quinn (WR) -- SMU -- Jeff Janis replacement on ST's who could be a crafty slot receiver in the future. 

After the draft....

1. Hopefully reach an extension with Rodgers and free up some additional cap after the Matthews/Breeland signings. 

2. See if either Reid/Vaccaro are still available. If they are, consider adding one of them to complete the re-build of the secondary. 

3. Consider resigning one or two guys like Jahri Evans (if he wants to come back), Richard Rodgers (not a bad No. 3 guy), etc. 

Then go conquer all.  

I like both Davenport and Carter but I really think one of them needs to be a CB. After the 2019 season you're down to King, Breeland, Johnson, Pipkins and Waters. Johnson really is just a slot CB and shorter than we like as well. 

Otherwise I'm a good with the rest of it.

I didn't think I would like this after I kept seeing no CBs being drafted but with the additional of both Williams and Breeland I don't think one in the first 2 rounds is needed. I actually really like this draft except I like Landry way more than Davenport. 

48 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I like both Davenport and Carter but I really think one of them needs to be a CB. After the 2019 season you're down to King, Breeland, Johnson, Pipkins and Waters. Johnson really is just a slot CB and shorter than we like as well. 

Otherwise I'm a good with the rest of it.

I get it, not ideal to wait until 4th to get a CB. But the trend the last few years in FA has been pretty solid CB pools and weak LB pools (EDGE and ILB). I'd like to have a 2nd round CB, but would I pass on one to get Carter? You're not finding Carter in FA at least in terms of athletic ability and potential. I feel like CB issues are more easily solvable through FA and we'd already be headed in the right direction with a Breeland-type signing.

21 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I didn't think I would like this after I kept seeing no CBs being drafted but with the additional of both Williams and Breeland I don't think one in the first 2 rounds is needed. I actually really like this draft except I like Landry way more than Davenport. 

agreed, I think Landry could contribute immediately.. Davenport seems like a project..

8 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I get it, not ideal to wait until 4th to get a CB. But the trend the last few years in FA has been pretty solid CB pools and weak LB pools (EDGE and ILB). I'd like to have a 2nd round CB, but would I pass on one to get Carter? You're not finding Carter in FA at least in terms of athletic ability and potential. I feel like CB issues are more easily solvable through FA and we'd already be headed in the right direction with a Breeland-type signing.

I think the CB position is deeper in this years draft then Edge.  You might be able to get a solid CB in rounds 3 and 4.  IMO!?!

5 hours ago, Kepler said:

Not picking on you specifically but more at most of these mocks that have the pack taking Fumagalli. What's the draw? 

For me, I read that the Packers are high on him and in the late rounds I could see why.

6 hours ago, Kepler said:

Not picking on you specifically but more at most of these mocks that have the pack taking Fumagalli. What's the draw? 

Fumagalli is a complete TE. Not blazing, but can get open, block, and make contested catches. IMHO perfect complement to Grahm.

Archived