Vegan talk

11sanchez11

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

No steak? No crab legs? No bacon? No lobster? No BBQ? No eggs?

No thanks.

Seafood tastes awful.  Still don't eat seafood because I hate the taste, not because I care about fish.  Don't eat any pork, but turkey bacon has a taste indistinguishable from regular bacon to me.  Hard boiled egg was a taste and texture easy to replicate with tofu in salads.  I still to this day prefer extra firm tofu salad to egg salad. 

16 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Seafood tastes awful.  Still don't eat seafood because I hate the taste, not because I care about fish.  Don't eat any pork, but turkey bacon has a taste indistinguishable from regular bacon to me.  Hard boiled egg was a taste and texture easy to replicate with tofu in salads.  I still to this day prefer extra firm tofu salad to egg salad. 

Lol I'm glad you don't like seafood but I think it's fair to say a lot of folks do.

And in no way, shape or form is turkey bacon (which is still an animal last I checked) indistinguishable from real bacon unless you're not very good at distinguishing things.

I've incorporated a lot of vegetarian ideas into my meal plans, and I've definitely priced a difference in how I feel. 

Dont get me wrong, I eat a lot of meat and a lot of food in a day. I found that instead of trying to force another chicken breast or more eggs down my throat, and balancing meat/egg protein with plant protein that I have gotten better results and I feel a lot better. 

48 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And in no way, shape or form is turkey bacon (which is still an animal last I checked) indistinguishable from real bacon unless you're not very good at distinguishing things.

Tastes the same to me, so lucky me.  Taste of bacon without the tremendous amounts of fat. 

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Tastes the same to me, so lucky me.  Taste of bacon without the tremendous amounts of fat. 

Yeah I really like turkey bacon as part of something else like a BLT or crumbled for bacon bits or something.

on its own, it's nothing to write home about but mixed in with other stuff I can hardly tell the difference.

I was vegetarian for a day when I just had an cheese omelet for breakfast, no lunch, and pasta primavera (spinach and mushrooms) for dinner. Wasn't intentional, just sort of happened. That's the best I ever did. :D

58 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I'm not, and have no plans on doing so. I don't have issues with it for that matter either.

My issues come with those who try to push it on others because of their moral stances. 

Agreed.

It's as if they assume the only reason you eat meat is out of ignorance.  "Do you know how these animals are treated? Do you know what their living conditions are like?!?!"

Yes, I know and I'm going to keep eating that poor, abused pig, it's damned delicious.

I especially love when these folks act like we're murdering these wonderful creatures.  I'm just like, you know the only reason they were bred and alive in the first place was to be eaten, right?  I think they're under some delusion these poor cows would just be living on some free open range if it weren't for us meat eaters. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Agreed.

It's as if they assume the only reason you eat meat is out of ignorance.  "Do you know how these animals are treated? Do you know what their living conditions are like?!?!"

Yes, I know and I'm going to keep eating that poor, abused pig, it's damned delicious.

I especially love when these folks act like we're murdering these wonderful creatures.  I'm just like, you know the only reason they were bred and alive in the first place was to be eaten, right?  I think they're under some delusion these poor cows would just be living on some free open range if it weren't for us meat eaters. 

Meh. I can stand peoples moral code being against killing animals, i have a much bigger problem with meat eaters who have a wierd moral compass against hunting or even slaughtering your own farm animals.

34 minutes ago, eagles101 said:

Meh. I can stand peoples moral code being against killing animals, i have a much bigger problem with meat eaters who have a wierd moral compass against hunting or even slaughtering your own farm animals.

Totally agree. Those people are just very out of touch with where their food is coming from. As a butcher I'm frequently asked which of the brands we carry are known for treating their animals humanely. I usually tell them that no animal you can buy in a chain/retail store is treated humanely. You'd need to go to a mom/pop farm or at the very least a specialty shop for that, and have your checkbooks ready.

People want animals that lived long, healthy, free lives but they don't want to pay more than $1.99 a pound for it dammit!

My wife used to think like this. One hunting trip where we killed and prepped our dinner was very eye opening for her. The grouse that we shot lived it's entire life in the wild and died instantly without realizing it was going to happen. It wasn't up to it's knees in it's own crap, with 10,000 other birds piled on top of each other in a warehouse. She cried when I killed it, but immediately it "clicked" with her and she was fine with it after that. She realized there was no suffering or inhumane treatment.

People who regularly kill their own meals are the salt of the earth, IMO. 

On 8/6/2017 at 7:29 PM, Forge said:

My girlfriend and her sister are both Vegans. I have done the "Just shy of vegan" thing a long time ago...what I mean by that is that I didn't check labels for animal byproducts (which they both do). I did that from about the time I was 14 until I was 22 and I'm 36 now (No real reason at the time - I just wanted to see how long I could go doing it). Then slowly I started re-introducing things into my diet. Now I basically just eat everything but red meat. 

I do that for a week at a time, a couple of times per year.  I'll drop some lbs doing that pretty easily.

Overall, I just eat what I want.  Sometimes it is vegan, sometimes it is vegetarian, sometimes it is a steak.

1 hour ago, Bonanza23 said:

What are you guys talking about meat comes from the grocery store. Certainly it doesn't come from an animal?

That's the best kind of meat. Animal meat.

Eventually I'm going to raise all the meat that I eat. They will all live happy lives until I eat them. 

Thats literally as close to a true vegetarian as I could get. I will be always be nice to the animal before I eat it.

Archived