BUF G Richie Incognito "unretires", released by BUF, held for psychiatric evaluation

Broncofan

Can't wait to hear HIS side of the story in Goin' Incognito: Bullying, Brawling, and Butting Heads in the NFL, his tell-all autobiography due out come September (you can pre-order a copy for $39.95). Should be a great read- don't miss it!

Image result for Richie Incognito

11 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

To casual fans? Not much. Knowledgeable ones? All the time. People here know the value of linemen. A top 15 guard retiring, unretiring, then asking to be released would be news here no matter who it was.

People even here wouldn’t talk about Incognito even a fraction as much as they do if he wasn’t wrapped up in that spat. 

And yeah people value offensive lineman on here more than most places, but let’s not act like they are talked up as often 

10 minutes ago, lancerman said:

People even here wouldn’t talk about Incognito even a fraction as much as they do if he wasn’t wrapped up in that spat. 

And yeah people value offensive lineman on here more than most places, but let’s not act like they are talked up as often 

No doubt that his public visibility and thus interest was increased by the past incidents involving him.

However, that's a far cry from the original statement I responded to in which you said if not for the Martin incident "nobody would care about him". Outside of his off-the-field problems, Richie has been a standout guard for the Rams, Dolphins, and Bills. He's a great interior offensive lineman, and Bills fans especially have to care about whether he's going to be retire, released, or whatever else he's planning to do.

I would also submit to you that he would probably be in more discussions as a top tier guard if not for the negative stigma associated wit his name. In a sense, the troubles surrounding him have overshadowed how good of a player he's actually been.

20 hours ago, lancerman said:

Richie’s a good lineman but if it wasn’t for the Martin incident (and let’s be honest, Richie was no angel there) nobody would care about him 

Not true. Cowboys fan here and I've been a follower of Ritchie since:

"In 2008, Incognito drew the ire of Rams fans, criticizing them for not knowing how to cheer or when to cheer for a team that was 2-8 at the time. After that week’s game against Chicago, Incognito taunted fans as they booed him on his way to the locker room after a 27-3 loss."

On 4/14/2018 at 6:57 PM, bzane said:

Can't wait to hear HIS side of the story in Goin' Incognito: Bullying, Brawling, and Butting Heads in the NFL, his tell-all autobiography due out come September (you can pre-order a copy for $39.95). Should be a great read- don't miss it!

Image result for Richie Incognito

Well, he's certainly not winning the Nobel Peace Prize anytime soon.

So let's go through the chain of events

-Negiotiated and Signed New Contract

-Fired Agent

-Retired... Placed on Retired List by Bills

-Unretired because he doesn't want to have to pay the bonus back

-Asked for a release so he doesn't have to pay bonus and to contact the Agents that he previously fired.

I'm so confused that I don't know what's happening here. It's clear Richie feels disrespected but he did sign the new contract. Id really like to know exactly how this new deal with his agent and Bills went to get Richie so upset. Guess today will give us some answers if he shows up for Off-season workouts

24 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

-Fired Agent

-Asked for a release so he doesn't have to pay bonus and to contact the Agents that he previously fired.

I'm so confused that I don't know what's happening here. It's clear Richie feels disrespected but he did sign the new contract. Id really like to know exactly how this new deal with his agent and Bills went to get Richie so upset. Guess today will give us some answers if he shows up for Off-season workouts

Consider me also perplexed.

20 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Consider me also perplexed.

I think he just wants to be able to retire without paying back the signing bonus. I think he would just want to be released from his contract so he can retire and have his signing bonus still.

However I don't think the Bills will do that. Not so much as a knock on Richie rather than we wouldn't want him to screw us and go sign with another team. I don't think he would but we kept Aquan Boldin contract all last year so he couldn't sign with Patriots like he wanted to. So I'm sure same thing will happen here with Incognito.

56 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

-Fired Agent

Most likely scenario:

1.  Got upset the more time went by after accepting pay cut (but also got 1M bonus upfront to take pay cut).   Likely believes he would get more on open market.  

2.   Fired agent after deciding above.   Decided to “retire” to force renegotiation.   Exaggerated or made up the liver / kidney issue (because no way it’s good enough to play 3 days later).   Not realizing that retiring voided the 1M bonus and 1.1M of his earlier signing bonus.    Good lesson on why going without an agent isn’t such a no brainer decision as portrayed.   Clearly any agent familiar with CBA would have known this was a bad idea.   

3.    Now understands that the only way to get to keep his 2.1M at risk is to report.  So then recanted on retiring.   But still upset at pay cut.   So wants BUF to release him to take him off the hook.  And let him keep the extra 1M recent bonus too. 

The ironic part is if Incognito was so against a pay cut he could have just refused and BUF would have released him - then the 1.1M bonus from his 2016 deal wouldn’t be in jeopardy.   His retirement call put that in jeopardy.   It’s hard not to blame BUF if they tell him either play for us at the deal agreed to, or stay retired and pay us back 2.1M.   Incognito only has himself to blame here.  

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Most likely scenario:

1.  Got upset the more time went by after accepting pay cut (but also got 1M bonus upfront to take pay cut).   Likely believes he would get more on open market.  

2.   Fired agent after deciding above.   Decided to “retire” to force renegotiation.   Exaggerated or made to the liver / kidney issue (because no way it’s good enough to play 3 days later).   Not realizing that retiring voided the 1M bonus and 1.1M of his earlier signing bonus.    Good lesson on why going without an agent isn’t such a no brainer decision as portrayed.   Clearly any agent familiar with CBA would have known this was a bad idea.   

3.    Now understands that the only way to get to keep his 2.1M at risk is to report.  So then recanted on retiring.   But still upset at pay cut.   So wants BUF to release him to take him off the hook.  And let him keep the extra 1M recent bonus too. 

The ironic part is if Incognito was so against a pay cut he could have just refused and BUF would have released him - then the 1.1M bonus from his 2016 deal wouldn’t be in jeopardy.   His retirement call put that in jeopardy.   It’s hard not to blame BUF if they tell him either play fit us at the deal or stay retired and pay us back 2.1M.   Incognito only has himself to blame here.  

Well I'm guessing something similar happened. I think his agent didn't tell him something about contract or failed to explain it properly so he signed the deal and when he found out the deal wasn't what he thought it was he went and fired his agent. This whole saga definitely falls back on the Agent and properly communicating the proposed deal to Richie.

37 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Most likely scenario:

2.   Fired agent after deciding above.   Decided to “retire” to force renegotiation.   Exaggerated or made up the liver / kidney issue (because no way it’s good enough to play 3 days later).   Not realizing that retiring voided the 1M bonus and 1.1M of his earlier signing bonus.    Good lesson on why going without an agent isn’t such a no brainer decision as portrayed.   Clearly any agent familiar with CBA would have known this was a bad idea.   

The ironic part is if Incognito was so against a pay cut he could have just refused and BUF would have released him - then the 1.1M bonus from his 2016 deal wouldn’t be in jeopardy.   His retirement call put that in jeopardy.   It’s hard not to blame BUF if they tell him either play for us at the deal agreed to, or stay retired and pay us back 2.1M.   Incognito only has himself to blame here.  

Why would he make up liver disease tho if he just wanted to spark another renegotiation? Being "forced to retire" wouldn't likely do that because from the Bills' perspective, even offering him more money wouldn't change the fact that he's medically unfit to keep playing...

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Why would he make up liver disease tho if he just wanted to spark another renegotiation? Being "forced to retire" wouldn't likely do that because from the Bills' perspective, even offering him more money wouldn't change the fact that he's medically unfit to keep playing...

Having liver failure as he described it wouldn’t suddenly be a reason to retire and then be able to play 3 days later.    More likely he had an elevation of liver enzymes (drugs, alcohol, post viral, etc).   But not a reason that required retirement.   Same for kidney issues.   There is no amount of kidney “failure” that suddenly is ok to play 3 days later.    He clearly exaggerated the issue or made up the failure angle - having abnormal tests doesn’t mean they are failing by themselves or needs to retire.   Pretty clear  by his subsequent actions it was a major exaggeration or made up fiction on failure to then say he can play 3 days later.  

Archived