Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I'd settle for news on our RFAs lol. It's just been too damn long since anything Devils related happened. We do have a very tightlipped front office though. Fitzy, when asked about the contract extensions, said the bare minimum as it was, so I don't think you can take much from that. Though, I think extending Palms over Gusev is the wrong decision. I get it from a leadership standpoint but I don't agree with it from an on-ice standpoint. Gusev's game is going to age like fine wine while Palms is the type that'll fall off a cliff. He's already a so-so skater. I don't want him to be our Loui Eriksson or Milan Lucic.

I feel like Palms has James Neal's career arc written all over him. His shot could keep him relevant on the power play, but his skating is going to crater and he'll be a complete liability at 5 on 5. 

I'm trying not to get too amped up about it, but it's really starting to feel possible that Sergachev could get move. Friedman mentioned us as a possible player in that, and it does seem like it's at least possible if nothing else. Tampa has already started putting out the feelers for Gourde / Johnson / Killorn. Killorn is obviously gone, but i DOn't know how anyone takes on the Gourde contract. Will be interesting on Johnson...there are teams that could use him, but that contract isn't much better, and I think he's already getting worse. Plus, both of those two guys have to waive. 

Just now, Forge said:

I feel like Palms has James Neal's career arc written all over him. His shot could keep him relevant on the power play, but his skating is going to crater and he'll be a complete liability at 5 on 5. 

I'm trying not to get too amped up about it, but it's really starting to feel possible that Sergachev could get move. Friedman mentioned us as a possible player in that, and it does seem like it's at least possible if nothing else. Tampa has already started putting out the feelers for Gourde / Johnson / Killorn. Killorn is obviously gone, but i DOn't know how anyone takes on the Gourde contract. Will be interesting on Johnson...there are teams that could use him, but that contract isn't much better, and I think he's already getting worse. Plus, both of those two guys have to waive. 

I, personally, don't think any of them will waive and it's going to put BriseBois in a serious bind. If Sergachev is attainable, we better go all out to get him. I'd do any prospect, other than Smith, along with #7 to get him.

• Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

I, personally, don't think any of them will waive and it's going to put BriseBois in a serious bind. If Sergachev is attainable, we better go all out to get him. I'd do any prospect, other than Smith, along with #7 to get him.

I'm really curious how they handle it because they can actually just go ahead and get everyone signed for the most part while in the off season. They can overrun the cap by 10%, so that gives them an extra 8 million. That plus their actual cap room gives them enough to sign all three of their guys, but will have them over the cap when the season starts, so they'll still have to shed money at some point. But wouldn't you rather get picks in this draft than next year? I feel like you're losing value if you wait until after the draft is over to make that sort of move if you're tampa. 

If they were smart, I'd trade Cirelli for a haul. I think he's the type that has major bust written all over him for another team when they expect him to move up. I think he's a quality 2 way center, but I Think he's a middle six type. I don't think you're putting him in a bigger role and he's scoring 70 for you. He's the perfect guy to sell high on in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm really curious how they handle it because they can actually just go ahead and get everyone signed for the most part while in the off season. They can overrun the cap by 10%, so that gives them an extra 8 million. That plus their actual cap room gives them enough to sign all three of their guys, but will have them over the cap when the season starts, so they'll still have to shed money at some point. But wouldn't you rather get picks in this draft than next year? I feel like you're losing value if you wait until after the draft is over to make that sort of move if you're tampa. 

That's a REALLY risky proposition though. Teams will know they are in over their heads and they'd get no value back for anyone or they'd have to put up serious value to get out from under that. I understand the Blues doing it because they have legit injuries they can bury on LTIR but Tampa would be playing with fire while holding a gas canister in their off hand. I don't think BriseBois would put himself in that position. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

If they were smart, I'd trade Cirelli for a haul. I think he's the type that has major bust written all over him for another team when they expect him to move up. I think he's a quality 2 way center, but I Think he's a middle six type. I don't think you're putting him in a bigger role and he's scoring 70 for you. He's the perfect guy to sell high on in my opinion.

100% agree. I do not see it with Cirelli. Go get a haul from Minnesota who is desperate for players who can man the dot. I see a damn good 3rd line center but I do not see this next superstar they think they have. He got bumped up with the Stamkos injury, played 20 minutes a night, and only put up 9 points in 25 playoff games. Coleman, for reference, played 17 minutes a night and potted 5 goals and had 8 assists. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

That's a REALLY risky proposition though. Teams will know they are in over their heads and they'd get no value back for anyone or they'd have to put up serious value to get out from under that. I understand the Blues doing it because they have legit injuries they can bury on LTIR but Tampa would be playing with fire while holding a gas canister in their off hand. I don't think BriseBois would put himself in that position. 

That's why I Think that they would want to move the pieces that they need to as soon as possible. I can't see them just signing their RFAs and hoping for the best from there. And wouldn't they want to do that for this draft? I suppose that they could simply refuse futures altogether so the timing wouldn't matter. Take a top notch prospect ready to play + pick and it really doesn't matter when the pick is. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's why I Think that they would want to move the pieces that they need to as soon as possible. I can't see them just signing their RFAs and hoping for the best from there. And wouldn't they want to do that for this draft? I suppose that they could simply refuse futures altogether so the timing wouldn't matter. Take a top notch prospect ready to play + pick and it really doesn't matter when the pick is. 

BriseBois is a smart guy. He'll make the moves he's able to make. I just think that he may be in a pickle because those guys may refuse to move. They signed those contracts at lower values because Florida is a tax haven. Why waive the NTC now? Especially for Johnson and Gourde, who have 4 and 5 years left. Killorn's gone, that's a guarantee as he only has a modified NTC but the other two could play serious hardball.

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

BriseBois is a smart guy. He'll make the moves he's able to make. I just think that he may be in a pickle because those guys may refuse to move. They signed those contracts at lower values because Florida is a tax haven. Why waive the NTC now? Especially for Johnson and Gourde, who have 4 and 5 years left. Killorn's gone, that's a guarantee as he only has a modified NTC but the other two could play serious hardball.

I really, really, really hope they do LOL

• Like 1

Masisak's list of players to target at 18/20 is pretty terrible tbh. I don't really feel he's very good at scouting. Feel like he's really pushing for Jeremie Poirier and I don't get it at all.

I'm kind of meh on him as a beat writer, tbh.  I may just be spoiled with the niners though

Masisak's list of players to target at 18/20 is pretty terrible tbh. I don't really feel he's very good at scouting. Feel like he's really pushing for Jeremie Poirier and I don't get it at all.

Do you think poirier goes in the first? 

Just now, Forge said:

Do you think poirier goes in the first? 

I wouldn't think so but you just never know what scouts see. All I know is I don't want him to be our problem. If we must go dman at 18/20, choose between Schneider and O'Rourke. I want no part of all offense, no defense type defensemen. Save that for the later rounds.