Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I'm hoping it's just a smokescreen into baiting Ottawa to take Askarov at #5 or for Nashville to trade up for him. But, if we're seriously considering it, we better be on the phone with Minnesota for pick #9 and their 2nd or 3rd so they can take Rossi assuming he's there.

That's what worries me. If you take Askarov, I think that you can easily trade down. Buffalo has to start winning soon...they aren't taking Askarov. Otherwise, Eichel is going to make a big stink. I suppose Minnesota could take Askarov, but I'd think that they prefer a center more. I feel like if you're taking Askarov, trade down to 9/10. Just do it. But if they want Askarov, I think that they'll be too afraid because he's the only one. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

That's what worries me. If you take Askarov, I think that you can easily trade down. Buffalo has to start winning soon...they aren't taking Askarov. Otherwise, Eichel is going to make a big stink. I suppose Minnesota could take Askarov, but I'd think that they prefer a center more. I feel like if you're taking Askarov, trade down to 9/10. Just do it. But if they want Askarov, I think that they'll be too afraid because he's the only one. 

You'd think that they'd be fine with trading down to 9/10 even if Askarov gets sniped. You're still going to get a potential 1st line forward anyways! There's nothing wrong with trading down to 9, Minnesota snipes Askarov, Buffalo takes Raymond/Rossi, you take Raymond/Jarvis. It's literally a win-win scenario.

27 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Hendrix Lapierre playing very well to start the season. He could be another guy that goes before 18 and pushes a good player down to us.

Apparently one of his concussions got re-diagnosed as a 'neck fracture'. He's one of the few that really got hurt without a combine (or unless every team talks to Arizona).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

How far is he likely to fall?

Well lets say you aren't one of the teams with multiple 1st round picks. Would you risk a 1st rounder on a prospect who has had multiple concussions and might be one bad hit away from medically retiring?

Like don't get me wrong, I like his talent but man concussions are no joke. Especially when you don't get to administer tests to him at the combine to see his aptitude or recall. I can honestly see him falling to the 2nd in this deep draft.

1 minute ago, Canadian Saint said:

Well lets say you aren't one of the teams with multiple 1st round picks. Would you risk a 1st rounder on a prospect who has had multiple concussions and might be one bad hit away from medically retiring?

Like don't get me wrong, I like his talent but man concussions are no joke. Especially when you don't get to administer tests to him at the combine to see his aptitude or recall. I can honestly see him falling to the 2nd in this deep draft.

Yeah, I was just basing that comment on his recent performance. Didn't know that he had the neck fracture. I did read that one of his concussions may have been misdiagnosed but didn't read/see much more on it. 

42 minutes ago, Forge said:

Right into the vein. Please and thank you

I know STI keeps pumping up the size thing with Ottawa but I don't think he gets passed them at all. The more I think about it, the more I'm sure we're going to land one of the dmen unless Detroit takes Sanderson at 4. Then we're probably effed there unless Anaheim effs up their pick.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I know STI keeps pumping up the size thing with Ottawa but I don't think he gets passed them at all. The more I think about it, the more I'm sure we're going to land one of the dmen unless Detroit takes Sanderson at 4. Then we're probably effed there unless Anaheim effs up their pick.

That's actually where I'm at. I think we get Drysdale / Sanderson. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

dave chappelle tyrone biggums GIF

I'm itching for some Devils news, man. Thank god the draft is 3 days away cuz I'm losing my ish over here.

If we don't do anything by the draft, i wouldn't expect us to do much of anything, tbh. we'll get the draft, maybe some very small free agent signings, but all of our trade ammo stems from this draft. I don't believe that anything from next season will be on the table. So then it will just be about when we unload the rentals. Side note - the team has apparently touched base with Palms' agent, Mac's and Bratt's, though no terms have been discussed. Interestingly, there's no word on us reaching out to Goose's agent. 

It's really driving me nuts how slow hockey is in general. Seems like they have the slowest moving front offices in all of sports. They start talking trades and it literally takes weeks to complete. I feel like they sit on trades forever even after agreed upon. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

If we don't do anything by the draft, i wouldn't expect us to do much of anything, tbh. we'll get the draft, maybe some very small free agent signings, but all of our trade ammo stems from this draft. I don't believe that anything from next season will be on the table. So then it will just be about when we unload the rentals. Side note - the team has apparently touched base with Palms' agent, Mac's and Bratt's, though no terms have been discussed. Interestingly, there's no word on us reaching out to Goose's agent. 

It's really driving me nuts how slow hockey is in general. Seems like they have the slowest moving front offices in all of sports. They start talking trades and it literally takes weeks to complete. I feel like they sit on trades forever even after agreed upon. 

I'd settle for news on our RFAs lol. It's just been too damn long since anything Devils related happened. We do have a very tightlipped front office though. Fitzy, when asked about the contract extensions, said the bare minimum as it was, so I don't think you can take much from that. Though, I think extending Palms over Gusev is the wrong decision. I get it from a leadership standpoint but I don't agree with it from an on-ice standpoint. Gusev's game is going to age like fine wine while Palms is the type that'll fall off a cliff. He's already a so-so skater. I don't want him to be our Loui Eriksson or Milan Lucic.