Around the NFL

Forge

20 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Well, I don't judge a quarterback's performance by record. Jimmy gets two years tops from me. Even if I yell and scream about him along the way. 

two years is fair. That's what I'm giving him. Also not why I'm going crazy after two starts this year. 

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Because my expectation was that Jimmy was going to look good, but it wouldn't be enough to career this lackluster of a roster in addition to how stacked the NFC is. That's all I wanted this season. For Jimmy to look like he did in the 5 games last year. If that isn't happening, then the 49ers are closer to everything else being irrelevant which is the worst case scenario. 

I feel like people really over idealized Jimmy's performance last year on the basis of one game and an undefeated record. I get it, that performance against Jax was amazing. And to go 5-0 with a 1-10 team was impressive. But the warts showed some last year too. He threw five picks in five games and probably should have had eight (three drops). He struggled in the red zone (sub  40% completion percentage inside the ten, only 55% in the red zone, overall lack of success scoring touchdowns). It wasn't all rainbows. The difference was that you could see the great things he could do. The poise. The accuracy. The mentality. The intelligence. But he's still so young in terms of experience. There was always going to be some lackluster play coming. He's not great. He has the potential to be great.  We have to let him get there

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I feel like people really over idealized Jimmy's performance last year on the basis of one game and an undefeated record. I get it, that performance against Jax was amazing. And to go 5-0 with a 1-10 team was impressive. But the warts showed some last year too. He threw five picks in five games and probably should have had eight (three drops). He struggled in the red zone (sub  40% completion percentage inside the ten, only 55% in the red zone, overall lack of success scoring touchdowns). It wasn't all rainbows. The difference was that you could see the great things he could do. The poise. The accuracy. The mentality. The intelligence. But he's still do young in terms of experience. There was always going to be some lackluster play coming. He's not great. He has the potential to be great.  We have to let him get there

It's Matt Ryan..he's still in that infantile stage. Matt Ryan had a rough first year, then blossomed in the second. I'll be much more concerned next year if he's doing the same things. But even then, one really bad game and a couple so-so's doesn't have me worried. 

I'd also add, this is going to take longer than the Atlanta team. That team had amazing talent on offense..our's..still working on it. Much better than recent teams...but still needs work

Also, Chicago is scary on defense. Seattle is also really bad.  Worst game I've seen from Wilson. 

This is just...the funniest thing:

"The Raiders’ defense is next to last in the NFL through two games of the season, with just two sacks. So what seems to be the problem?

Raiders coach Jon Gruden says great pass rushers don’t grow on trees.

“It’s hard to find a great one. It’s hard to find a good one. It’s hard to find one,” Gruden said. “College football now, they’re not really dropping back to pass and throwing footballs anymore. They’re throwing laterals and they’re throwing bubble screens and they’re throwing read options. So you’ve got to train these guys. It takes a little time to learn how to rush the passer. We’ve got some guys that are in that process right now.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/19/jon-gruden-its-hard-to-find-a-good-pass-rusher/

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

This is just...the funniest thing:

"The Raiders’ defense is next to last in the NFL through two games of the season, with just two sacks. So what seems to be the problem?

Raiders coach Jon Gruden says great pass rushers don’t grow on trees.

“It’s hard to find a great one. It’s hard to find a good one. It’s hard to find one,” Gruden said. “College football now, they’re not really dropping back to pass and throwing footballs anymore. They’re throwing laterals and they’re throwing bubble screens and they’re throwing read options. So you’ve got to train these guys. It takes a little time to learn how to rush the passer. We’ve got some guys that are in that process right now.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/19/jon-gruden-its-hard-to-find-a-good-pass-rusher/

I mean, I see what he's saying..but someone maybe needs to tell him to think about optics..just a bit. 

1 hour ago, Gravity said:

What do you mean by optics?

It looks bad to talk about how your biggest problem publicly, when you traded away the solution to that problem just weeks before. 

They had an already developed, elite passrusher and they traded him away for lottery tickets. 

I don't blame Gruden for the trade. Mark davis didn't have the money and mack was serious about the hold out. His hands were tied. It's a bad look to keep talking about it though. 

Imagine how good we would be with Mack and Marcus Peters on our team right now. Sure, we wouldn't have much in terms of draft picks next year, but goddamn that would instantly give us a top 5 defense paired with a top 10 offense. 

Peters probably wouldn't be a great scheme fit here, but that's more of a reason to change the scheme than anything else. I'm becoming less and less enamored with the deep cover three in the secondary

10 hours ago, Psychlone said:

Why the hell am I rooting for the Browns and Mayfield so much as I shouldn't give a crap about them at all. Kindred soul with candyman93 from our darkest day's maybe...

I don't know about you, but it's because I am a Sooner! Mayfield is too--even if he does call Austin home. I will always be a Mayfield fan...just cannot/will not wear that ugly orange! (need the barfing emoji!)

Archived