Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

29 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Would you recommend an even cut on the post/pedestal and then just a new pedestal, level it out, and then some quick crete?

I'll fully cop to the fact i've never really done concrete work.  I suggested it because i've seen other similar installations that have looked nice and thought it might be a good way of doing it without making it look like a repair job. 

If it were me, i'd do what you suggest.  Cut it off and make sure the metal at the cut looks good.  Then pour a footing around that...somehow.  How that's done, i've no real idea haha.  Again, not much experience with concrete.

@vike daddy may have a better suggestion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

wet is wet. any time a crawlspace gets wet it MUST be thoroughly dried out. mechanically, intentionally. not left to nature to do it over a period of a few weeks.

How many times do you suppose a crawl gets wet without the owner knowing about it, and left to dry on it's own without any repercussions?  I'm imaging it happens quite a lot, which is why i'm asking questions and making obnoxious statements.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

How many times do you suppose a crawl gets wet without the owner knowing about it, and left to dry on it's own without any repercussions?  I'm imaging it happens quite a lot, which is why i'm asking questions and making obnoxious statements.

nothing obnoxious about your view, no harm nor foul.

all i'm saying if you DO know about it, then you have the choice to do something or ignore it. i would not ignore it.

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

safety issue. someone slips on the walkway, grabs the handrail, it lets loose and they fall and get an owie... someone's getting sued.

Ok yeah i can see that.  I'm just surprised they asked for it to be fixed.  This is one of those items that people will find during an inspection, but ignore on their own house for years haha.

nothing obnoxious about your view, no harm nor foul.

all i'm saying if you DO know about it, then you have the choice to do something or ignore it. i would not ignore it.

I agree with you there.

28 minutes ago, theJ said:

Ok yeah i can see that.  I'm just surprised they asked for it to be fixed.  This is one of those items that people will find during an inspection, but ignore on their own house for years haha.

it's also the inspector going on written record that he sees it as a situation warranting a remedy, thus protecting himself from future liability.

i used to be a licensed home inspector. since we produce a written document, we know we could be called in to a courtroom some day and be required to back up what we wrote with further expert testimony.  so you go on record with it.

how many attorneys exist out there whose businesses are built on what we call "slip and fall" cases...?

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

jeeeeeez....

I bought 9 yards of "topsoil" and had it delivered to my house for improving the back yard prior to planting grass seed. the soil itself was fine but it actually had salad plate size chunks of ASPHALT in it, and of course smaller chunks as many had broken down. someone must have had scraped up the parking lot it sat on at one point, or something. raking it smooth is now a real chore, constantly picking out rocks...

what discount do you guys feel is should ask for/demand from the landscaping shop where i bought it? 50% reduction?

30 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

what discount do you guys feel is should ask for/demand from the landscaping shop where i bought it? 50% reduction?

Yes, and tell them to come get the rocks and asphalt haha.  That's pretty ridiculous.

I know it's downright impossible to pick all that crap out prior to delivery, and you should expect to pick some of that out if you're raking it.  But being full of rocks and asphalt is no bueno.  They should be able to see that sitting on the surface of their mound and sell it as fill, not topsoil.

30 minutes ago, theJ said:

They should sell it as fill, not topsoil.

that's how i see it. i mean, the dirt itself was fine (no pun intended...) but with so many large to minor rocks, what's it matter?

i thought i might gather up all the rocks and dump them on the owner's yard. when he complains, i'll tell him, "hey, that's topsoil, man!"

• Like 1

jeeeeeez....

I bought 9 yards of "topsoil" and had it delivered to my house for improving the back yard prior to planting grass seed. the soil itself was fine but it actually had salad plate size chunks of ASPHALT in it, and of course smaller chunks as many had broken down. someone must have had scraped up the parking lot it sat on at one point, or something. raking it smooth is now a real chore, constantly picking out rocks...

Eh bad loader operator I see, probably the end dump driver.

Honestly I would have them come out there and show them it. Some contractors are very embarrassed by it and will give you the load for free. 

21 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Honestly I would have them come out there and show them it. Some contractors are very embarrassed by it and will give you the load for free. 

i had vike mommy go to them with a bucket of asphalt chunks, rocks, and shards. you guys think i'm tough, ha! she can rip someone a new one before we've blinked.

they copped to it and said, "what can we do to make it right?" so that's my original question, what compensation should i ask for when i go in and discuss it with them?

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

jeeeeeez....

I'd take pictures and ask them to make it right. Chances are they will be pretty embarrassed and make it right.

11 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

see above....

I'd turn the tables on them and ask them what they'll do for you and how do they plan on making it right? If they "hrrrrm" and "haaawwww" over it, I'd ask for half of my money back or a brand new fresh load of 9 yards for free.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I'd turn the tables on them and ask them what they'll do for you and how do they plan on making it right? If they "hrrrrm" and "haaawwww" over it, I'd ask for half of my money back or a brand new fresh load of 9 yards for free.

i've been planning on asking for a 50% compensation. but lately i've been thinking the whole load cost should be forgiven. 100% free.

because i still have to spend hours raking out the rocks. what's that worth in my time?

• Like 1