Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

On 4/16/2019 at 9:24 PM, vike daddy said:

don't need to sweat copper fittings on a water heater. you use a threaded union so it can always be taken apart again, for future replacement.

or use a Sharkbite valve and flexible supply line:

t7di50.jpg

@MWil23 I absolutely would recommend these 100%!! Used a pair when installing my new water softener. Yes, they were rated for water softener installations.

• Like 1

I need to replace the main panel in the house we're moving into.  I haven't done much electrical work since i became a home owner, so i don't have a trusted electrician.  My home inspector was a licensed electrician for 35+ years and recommended someone to me.

I called this guy today, and he gave me a good price to do this work ($750).  Question is: how do i check credentials in my state (Ohio)?  According to this website, apprentices and journeymen don't need to be licensed.

Is there something i should be asking him for to make sure this on the up and up?

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Question is: how do i check credentials in my state (Ohio)?  According to this website, apprentices and journeymen don't need to be licensed.

Is there something i should be asking him for to make sure this on the up and up?

they don't need to be licensed but the work needs (should have to be legal and also to satisfy your insurance coverage) to be covered under a permit and that requires a licensed electrician. the journeyman can be working under a more experienced licensed person, but someone's name has to appear on the permit.

ask for references. but then you have one already from your inspector. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

they don't need to be licensed but the work needs (should have to be legal and also to satisfy your insurance coverage) to be covered under a permit and that requires a licensed electrician. the journeyman can be working under a more experienced licensed person, but someone's name has to appear on the permit.

ask for references. but then you have one already from your inspector. 

Thanks. I looked up local municipal code and you're basically correct. Though it doesn't mention that the contractor has to be licensed to pull the permit. I'll have to call this guy and ask more questions. 

I suspect my choices are going to be: go unpermited/uninspected with this guy OR find a company and pay 30-40% more. 

It's strange to me that any Joe schmoe can pull a permit, do the work and have it inspected. But you can't hire an unlicensed contractor to pull the permit and do the work, then follow up with an inspection. 

Sounds like a union scam to me. 

How hard are Gutters to install? mine are awful, have no pitch, leak, etc. i dont have much, just 6 runs, 2 of 34ish, 2 of 14, and 2 of 19 feet. I've never installed them before, but i looked online and doesn't seem overly difficult. i have all the tools already. most important is too use a the right sealant and then make sure the pitch is right?

2 hours ago, SimsZilla said:

How hard are Gutters to install? mine are awful, have no pitch, leak, etc. i dont have much, just 6 runs, 2 of 34ish, 2 of 14, and 2 of 19 feet. I've never installed them before, but i looked online and doesn't seem overly difficult. i have all the tools already. most important is too use a the right sealant and then make sure the pitch is right?

yes, but...

you really want seamless gutters made by a professional and sized exactly to your house's needs. anything other than that are rinky dink systems that will eventually fail and cause problems.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2019 at 11:17 PM, vike daddy said:

yes, but...

you really want seamless gutters made by a professional and sized exactly to your house's needs. anything other than that are rinky dink systems that will eventually fail and cause problems.

+1 there.  My house was done without seamless, and it's created a lot of problems.  Sagging in spots, leaking at the joints, etc.  I've had to put in a lot of those hidden hangers to keep them straight over the years.

I did put in some non-seamless new gutters on the same house, and it wasn't hard (two 12' sections, 1 seam, 1 downspout).  Took a few hours by myself, and the pitch is right and it doesn't leak...yet.  But i would go seamless if you're talking about the whole house and want this to last and look good for a long time.

• Like 1

Anyone ever put in rubber mulch for a residential playground?  Found a few sources online.  It's expensive, but i'm considering it to avoid regular mulch.  Regular mulch seems to attract all sorts of bugs, and you have to replace it every 1-2 years.  These sites suggest the rubber mulch will last 10-12 years, which would take my kids through playground age.  At which point i could remove it, and the playground.

4 minutes ago, theJ said:

Anyone ever put in rubber mulch for a residential playground?  Found a few sources online.  It's expensive, but i'm considering it to avoid regular mulch.  Regular mulch seems to attract all sorts of bugs, and you have to replace it every 1-2 years.  These sites suggest the rubber mulch will last 10-12 years, which would take my kids through playground age.  At which point i could remove it, and the playground.

i've never used it but it sounds sensible.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i've never used it but it sounds sensible.

Thanks.  Do you have a recommendation on how to prep the landing spot for the playground?  

I was thinking lay down 2-3 layers of landscape fabric directly over the existing grassy spot.  Put down 4x4's in a rectangle, and stake them into the ground.  Then put the playground in, and the rubber mulch around the playground.