Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

5 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Does anyone have any experience with PEX tubing?

I'd need to check local plumbing codes but can't imagine it wouldn't be allowed.

i use PEX all the time, but not exclusively as i still sweat copper sometimes where it's a better fit.

yes, PEX will be allowed by local inspectors, but the first thing you have to find out is whether you are allowed as the homeowner to do your own plumbing, or do you need a licensed plumber?

• Like 2

i installed a back yard catch basin and sump pump for a client yesterday who lives near a large year round creek. she was getting water standing in her crawlspace.

in digging in her back yard (the crawlspace was too shallow in height to physically allow digging there) i hit the water table 19" beneath grade. and it had been higher a week earlier during heavy rains.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

Last real project i took on wasn't really a home thing and wasn't even from the past year, but imma post it here anyway 'cause i just found the pics i took from it.  It was my parents lawn tractor that they blew the heck up.

rtQ21Y3.jpg

UnbYYW0.jpg

Wasted plenty of time tearing the motor down to see wtf had happened.  One of the cylinders was scored beyond repair...presumably from the pieces just rattling around for a while or something.

So i got to do a fun thing installing a Briggs 'n Stratton motor in a tractor that was designed to take a Kawasaki motor.   Don't actually have any photos of that, 'cause it wasn't very interesting looking.  Lots of just trying to sort out which wire goes where.  But suffice to say, it worked...and it's still going strong today.  Though apparently the rest of the tractor is still falling apart around it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

How big of a problem is ice on the roof. I have such crappy insulation in the roof that the snow melts and is making quite a bit of ice by the rain gutters. What's the best way of getting that off?

in trying to physically remove ice that is damming up at the low points of the roof you'll probably do more damage than good, and cause an eventual leak. but doing it on a 35 or 40 degree day is best. don't chip t it with a shovel or pick, you'll damage the roof. sprinkle sidewalk melting salts on it.

you can use electrical heating tape, but that takes a long time to thaw unless it's only a few degrees below freezing.

waiting until it thaws on its own might be the best bet, and then getting ahead of the problem for next winter.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2019 at 4:30 PM, vike daddy said:

i installed a back yard catch basin and sump pump for a client yesterday who lives near a large year round creek. she was getting water standing in her crawlspace.

in digging in her back yard (the crawlspace was too shallow in height to physically allow digging there) i hit the water table 19" beneath grade. and it had been higher a week earlier during heavy rains.

Must be next to a river or lake?  That's a pretty crazy high water table.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Must be next to a river or lake?  That's a pretty crazy high water table.

Eh, I surveyed out a couple places in middle of fields over in Minnesota for hog barns and was hitting water at less than two feet on test holes.

Such a wet year you didnt even have to be to be close to rivers or lakes and we were hitting just hitting water. 

On 2/26/2019 at 8:12 PM, vike daddy said:

yes, PEX will be allowed by local inspectors, but the first thing you have to find out is whether you are allowed as the homeowner to do your own plumbing, or do you need a licensed plumber?

Everything I've seen on the city website indicates I'd have to sign a Property Owner's Affidavit if I intend to do the work myself, which I would intend to do.

I'd still have to apply for the necessary permits and what not.

Time to start planning my work and working my plan.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Everything I've seen on the city website indicates I'd have to sign a Property Owner's Affidavit if I intend to do the work myself, which I would intend to do.

I'd still have to apply for the necessary permits and what not.

Time to start planning my work and working my plan.

it wouldn't surprise me that your closest Home Depot store gives free classes on basic PEX installation methods and parts. might be a good place to start learning the tricks.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 9:31 PM, vike daddy said:

it wouldn't surprise me that your closest Home Depot store gives free classes on basic PEX installation methods and parts. might be a good place to start learning the tricks.

yeah the master plumber at my store will talk/show you how to use pex for hours and hours. he's awesome

• Like 1