Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

so apparently i dont know how to count gutters because this company measured 196 feet lol. they also came back 400 dollars more. warranty also isn't as good so ill probably not do them. two more quotes friday and saturday now

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

You'll save about $1,000 doing that too. Plus you can always change your mind in the future and still do it.

Maybe more.  The company selling the virgin rubber wants $999 per ton, and i'd need probably 1.5 ton for that area.

The cost alone probably would stop me, honestly.  $1500 is pretty good motivation to just cut around the thing haha.

1 minute ago, theJ said:

Maybe more.  The company selling the virgin rubber wants $999 per ton, and i'd need probably 1.5 ton for that area.

The cost alone probably would stop me, honestly.  $1500 is pretty good motivation to just cut around the thing haha.

WOW. That's pretty steep man. Some people would do anything for their kids. Clearly, I would not. LOL

10 hours ago, SimsZilla said:

so apparently i dont know how to count gutters because this company measured 196 feet lol. they also came back 400 dollars more. warranty also isn't as good so ill probably not do them. two more quotes friday and saturday now

and the beat goes on....

40 minutes ago, SimsZilla said:

What would you consider an average price? Just curious. Literally have/had no idea how much to expect 

well, i was buying gutters from an installer the last few years in a very high priced, booming area. nothing came cheap, including my services.

and he charged me $6/ft.

Anyone here installed sod in their yard? When we bought our house, the backyard (which is pretty small, we live in an HOA community so our backyard is like maybe 50x50?) was pure dirt and I'm wondering if it's even possible for me to do all the necessary pre-work to get sod installed.

13 hours ago, vike daddy said:

yup. many times.

what are the concerns?

According to this: https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ideas/how-to-lay-sod

You need a rototiller to get 6-8 inches of soil off before doing anything. Then you need to soil test your yard and fertilize it, then completely level it? Right now I'm still trying to clear the weeds/rocks from our existing levels of dirt, and beyond that our yard isn't completely level. I'm wondering just how much of this list is necessary or if it's overkill?

40 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

According to this: https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ideas/how-to-lay-sod

You need a rototiller to get 6-8 inches of soil off before doing anything. Then you need to soil test your yard and fertilize it, then completely level it? Right now I'm still trying to clear the weeds/rocks from our existing levels of dirt, and beyond that our yard isn't completely level. I'm wondering just how much of this list is necessary or if it's overkill?

Could be coming from a point of ignorance, but I've seeded an area of about that size before and it was easy. First I killed off the weeds with a weed killer, then just used a broadcaster to lay down some seed. Then used a rake to get the seed down in the soil. Last just watered it. Total cost was <100 even if you don't have the broadcaster already. 

Is it worth it to get all the bells and whistles when you are replacing your water heater? 

Our water heater is 9 years old, and we are thinking of going tankless. The current water heater has a slow leak, and needs to be replaced. They gave us a myriad of quotes for things that include the water treatment, purification / reverse osmosis, pressure valve stuff (I didn't quite understand what he was talking about with regards to that, but apparently there isn't a valve system or something along those lines with the water heater) and all that. But the quote is extremely high - much higher than the averages I was finding online, so clearly they are upselling some stuff with the higher price quotes, and in fairness, they did give us quotes for the barebones replacement as well which also included just replacing the existing water heater with a new one (which was only about 2K for part / labor). 

Basically, the quote for all the bells and whistles and all that good stuff is about 14K. That's going tankless (which is about half the cost), water treatment system, filtration system, etc (those are the three major components to this). Typically, I don't like to do this stuff often, so when I do it, I tend to get everything and anything I can lol. So there's a part of me that's just like, screw it, lets do it. But there's also a part of me that wonders if it's really worth it overall. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Is it worth it to get all the bells and whistles when you are replacing your water heater? 

Our water heater is 9 years old, and we are thinking of going tankless. The current water heater has a slow leak, and needs to be replaced. They gave us a myriad of quotes for things that include the water treatment, purification / reverse osmosis, pressure valve stuff (I didn't quite understand what he was talking about with regards to that, but apparently there isn't a valve system or something along those lines with the water heater) and all that. But the quote is extremely high - much higher than the averages I was finding online, so clearly they are upselling some stuff with the higher price quotes, and in fairness, they did give us quotes for the barebones replacement as well which also included just replacing the existing water heater with a new one (which was only about 2K for part / labor). 

Basically, the quote for all the bells and whistles and all that good stuff is about 14K. That's going tankless (which is about half the cost), water treatment system, filtration system, etc (those are the three major components to this). Typically, I don't like to do this stuff often, so when I do it, I tend to get everything and anything I can lol. So there's a part of me that's just like, screw it, lets do it. But there's also a part of me that wonders if it's really worth it overall. 

There's a lot to break down here.  So i'll take my best shot.

1. Water purification and filtration - how is the current quality of your water?  Well or City Water?  Do you like the way it tastes?  Is it too hard or soft for your liking?  Is it so hard it turns your white clothes yellow and causes buildup on your fixtures? 
  2. Pressure valve - he could have been talking about a few different things there.  I'm thinking he's referring to the safety relief valve that your water heater should have.  I'm fairly certain those are standard and required for standard water heaters, but i've never looked at them in great detail.
    1. The reason you need a relief valve is because of simple thermodynamics and heat transfer - think of a can of pop or some other sealed can.  You throw it in a fire.  You'll watch it expand and expand until it suddenly POPS.  You water heater can also be sealed like a can of pop. If you water inlet/outlets somehow get sealed, and your heat source malfunctions and continues to pump in heat, it can explode.  (look up exploding water heater and watch some fun videos)  The relief valve is a safety device that opens up at a particular pressure to relieve that pressure and prevent the heater from exploding.
  3. Tankless - There are some benefits to this, but even without doing the math i can say pretty confidently you'll never save that 7k back in energy savings.
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think it depends on a few things:

1. How long are you anticipating living in your current home? If you're thinking of selling in the next 5 years, DO NOT go tankless.

2. As long as you have a water softener system/don't have "hard water" issues, you don't need all of the water treatment/filtration stuff, assuming that you don't live in Flint, Michigan. You only need filters on what you're drinking. The other treatments you can get with a basic water softener.

3. Tankless will save you in energy and water usage by about $22 a month for the average American household. Something to consider.