A Song of Ice and Fire

THE DUKE

24 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I wonder if the whole Rhaegar annulment thing is something GRRM told them about, or just something that Benioff and Weiss made up.  Or maybe somewhere in between where GRRM said something along the lines of "yeah, he's legitimate".

I suppose they kind of had to do it but it all just feels very forced and feels like everything works out just a little too nicely. 

I don't know if it's the first time someone's mentioned it but read a theory on reddit this morning that Rhaegar was actually Azor Ahai and Jon is Lightbringer. If prophecies aren't meant to be taken literally, there's plenty of evidence to support the theory. 

40 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

I don't know if it's the first time someone's mentioned it but read a theory on reddit this morning that Rhaegar was actually Azor Ahai and Jon is Lightbringer. If prophecies aren't meant to be taken literally, there's plenty of evidence to support the theory. 

I could see how that kind of fits.  That would make Lyanna the Nissa Nissa and Lightbringer could only be forged by the blood of Nissa Nissa, Jon being lightbringer with Lyanna dying in childbirth.  I don't think I see this being the case, but there is at least evidence to support the theory.

37 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I could see how that kind of fits.  That would make Lyanna the Nissa Nissa and Lightbringer could only be forged by the blood of Nissa Nissa, Jon being lightbringer with Lyanna dying in childbirth.  I don't think I see this being the case, but there is at least evidence to support the theory.

Yeah, I'm not going to say it's the idea I want to go with but the evidence is certainly strong enough to keep it in the back of my mind. 

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I wonder if the whole Rhaegar annulment thing is something GRRM told them about, or just something that Benioff and Weiss made up.  Or maybe somewhere in between where GRRM said something along the lines of "yeah, he's legitimate".

I can't see how it can be in the books - there's never any mention of "annulment" as a concept, that I recall. Even then, historically speaking, an anulment is possible on only 2 grounds - the marriage was never consumated, or they never had any children. Both obviously not the case with Rhaegar.

It seems likely to me that Rhaegar simply married twice - Marrying Lyanna in front of the Old Gods. Polygamy is something that the Targaryens have been known to do going back centuries. This marriage could be considered to legitimate by many because it was done in a different relgion.

That's all very complicated and mult-faceted for a show keen to simplify everything as much as possible.

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I don't think Fatty will finish the books. Looking increasingly likely that someone else is going to have to come in and do the job. Martin is now old and rich, and is focussing on other projects. :( 

He's said that won't happen. He doesn't want any other author writing stories in his universe, and definitely doesn't want them finishing the main story. For the time being, if he dies, the story does as well. Now, years down the line...when those story rights pass down to whoever, and maybe they need a little money or something? Okay, that may happen. But it'll be well after GRRM is gone. 

On 8/14/2017 at 5:11 AM, THE DUKE said:

Well one thing is for certain. I think that was a dead give away that they are setting Jon up to be King after the war. Because he is still a bastard unless they can prove he was a legitimate child of Rhaegar and Lyanna with both being married at the time of the conception.

On 8/14/2017 at 11:45 AM, Forge said:

He's said that won't happen. He doesn't want any other author writing stories in his universe, and definitely doesn't want them finishing the main story. For the time being, if he dies, the story does as well. Now, years down the line...when those story rights pass down to whoever, and maybe they need a little money or something? Okay, that may happen. But it'll be well after GRRM is gone. 

So we should kill him now so the books come out quicker? We'd probably get them faster than him actually writing them. 

• Like 2

On 8/14/2017 at 5:11 AM, THE DUKE said:

Maybe the show's version of the Harp? There's a prevailing theory that Rhaegar's harp is located within Lyanna's statue in the Winterfell crypts which would help to validate Jon's "claim".