Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

The Green Bay Packers have made a significant long-term contract offer to Aaron Rodgers that would alter the quarterback market, a source told ESPN. Terms of a potential new contract could always change, but a three- or four-year deal would help Green Bay's salary-cap situation while giving Rodgers, 38, contractual clarity well into his 40s.

Green Bay is more than $27 million over the cap just nine days before the start of the new league year. The Packers were expected to offer Rodgers a new deal at some point this offseason, with the dual intention of getting under the salary cap and also providing market-level compensation for the two-time reigning league MVP.

The Broncos also are lurking as a potential contender to land Rodgers, with a source telling ESPN that Denver is willing to compete to acquire him either through a new contract or draft-pick compensation.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33445299/aaron-rodgers-contract-offer-green-bay-packers-alter-qb-market-source-says

"Alter the market".  What does that mean, they are going to offer him an 11-year deal (1 more than what Mahomes got) with 5 years or more of void years?  Which I imagine would hurt them, as I suggested, long after he's gone.   

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

"Alter the market".  What does that mean, they are going to offer him an 11-year deal (1 more than what Mahomes got) with 5 years or more of void years?  Which I imagine would hurt them, as I suggested, long after he's gone.   

For things I’ve seen, it sounds like they might be offering him the first “percentage” based contract. 

12 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

For things I’ve seen, it sounds like they might be offering him the first “percentage” based contract. 

Well, I guess since other players have failed accomplishing that, good for him.  Kirk is one of a handful that have tried to do that (he tried in Washington).  Which means if Aaron does get that, it opens the door for Kirk to try that here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m very curious as to what the salary cap is going to jump to in 2023. 

With as fast as these contracts are rising, the cap has to go up monumentally for teams to keep pace. 

Agreed.  The structure of A-Rodg's deal will tell us a lot about that too, considering the teams generally have a pretty good idea on where the cap is going in a few years...and with the new TV/streaming deals, I imagine it will go up pretty rapidly.  Just as long as there isn't some new pandemic.  😉

Edited by swede700

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Unless Adams comes to terms on a new long term deal quickly, this will likely mean a few cuts are coming in Green Bay. 

Like in the post that @Krauser referenced on Twitter, I would expect that it probably will...and be tied directly to the same 4 years as Aaron got.