Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

@ramssuperbowl99 stated this very well in NFL News:

"The assessment of the leverage here is so off it's ridiculous. 36 year old, 1 legged Kirk Cousins got 4/$185MM. $100MM guaranteed. For all the talk about how Jordan Love has 8 games of elite level play, Kirk Cousins has played zero games at an elite level in 10+ seasons."

"The Panthers, Broncos, Saints, Giants, Seahawks, Bucs, Titans, Steelers, and Raiders would fall over themselves to give Love that same deal right now. You can add other teams like the Jets to this too, but those are absolute no-brainers."

"Love has made $20MM in his career and could get a quarter of the league to hand him $250MM today if he wasn't under the Packers' control. He'd be stupid to not hold out."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

You too! I'm certain you meant that in jest.

Yeah I'm like 50/50 joking/being serious in that Cousins was good, but was never a guy to carry a bad team all the way. He's a game manager, and I mean that in the complimentary way.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah I'm like 50/50 joking/being serious in that Cousins was good, but was never a guy to carry a bad team all the way. He's a game manager, and I mean that in the complimentary way.

what's fair to say about Cousins is that the Vikings got the best out of him. it's doubtful he'll be better in ATL.

but this is a thread about the Packers and their conundrum with Love.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He had some pretty incredible stretches of QB play, but agreed that he was never consistent enough to carry a team.

Don't want to stretch too far away from the topic at hand, I just thought that was a pretty shocking way to frame the argument.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

He had some pretty incredible stretches of QB play, but agreed that he was never consistent enough to carry a team.

Don't want to stretch too far away from the topic at hand, I just thought that was a pretty shocking way to frame the argument.

True, it has substantially less to do with Cousins specifically, and more as a response to the constant "this is a small sample, I'd want at least X years of elite play" comment that gets repeated to no end on those threads.

I disagree with the entire premise of those posts, because even a small sample of continuously, legitimately elite QB play is something that you don't see frequently. Cousins worked as an example because he's been in the league forever and is a known quantity.

If I wrote it in a more Vikings-centric area, I'd probably sub in Derek Carr. The spirit of the post is "the Dalton line guys never show what Love has already shown".

• Like 2

I find it hard to take seriously that the Packers are going to invest that much money in a guy with only one year of actual performance.  He may be okay over the long haul, but this is a bet that could go either way. 

I wouldn't ask for XX years of elite level of play, but I also can't buy the argument that he's even been elite at this point.  He's been very good for a good portion of the season, but I'm not sure "elite" is the way to describe his performance.  Some may certainly disagree, but I don't see anything all that really special out of him...to this point.  That could certainly change, but I'm not there yet.

• Like 3

Packers quarterback Jordan Love was closing in on a new deal. Before his could be finalized, the Dolphins worked out a contract with quarterback Tua Tagovailoa.

It wasn’t a coincidence. Both are represented by Athletes First. Once the Dolphins caught wind of what Love is going to get (and he’s likely to get it soon), they decided they’d better get Tua paid.

Bottom line? Look for Love to be done sooner than later. Look for him to get more than Tua’s $53.1 million per year in new money.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/with-tua-tagovailoa-deal-done-the-focus-shifts-to-jordan-love

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Packers quarterback Jordan Love was closing in on a new deal. Before his could be finalized, the Dolphins worked out a contract with quarterback Tua Tagovailoa.

It wasn’t a coincidence. Both are represented by Athletes First. Once the Dolphins caught wind of what Love is going to get (and he’s likely to get it soon), they decided they’d better get Tua paid.

Bottom line? Look for Love to be done sooner than later. Look for him to get more than Tua’s $53.1 million per year in new money.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/with-tua-tagovailoa-deal-done-the-focus-shifts-to-jordan-love

Give him:

doctor-evil-austin-powers.png

• Like 2