Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

I'm confused about why in the bleep they signed Josh Jacobs instead of just keeping Aaron Jones?  He may be younger, but he has more carries and still has less yards.  A really big head-scratcher there.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

As a rotational linebacker, I think I’d rather have Campbell than Hicks. 

But my memories of Campbell are still from a couple of years ago. I don’t know what he’s done the last couple of years. 

Unfortunately he was basically hurt and/or nowhere close to his all pro season. He looks washed but you never know

On 3/11/2024 at 6:51 PM, swede700 said:

I'm confused about why in the bleep they signed Josh Jacobs instead of just keeping Aaron Jones?  He may be younger, but he has more carries and still has less yards.  A really big head-scratcher there.

Age mixed with cost & injuries. I think this year Jones is a better RB then Jacobs but he isn't able to take a full time load at RB with his build and even splitting carries he had a tough time staying on the field last year.  Even with Jones the Packers needed a RB to split carries and this way they save on cap space, get a RB who maybe isn't as good as Jones but at least not a massive downgrade,  can handle a larger snap count, as well as be there for a number of years as the young team grows. TBH I would have rather kept Jones on a 1 year deal if he would have signed it and tried to find his replacement in the draft this year but I don't think its a head scratching move as much as a lateral move to free up space while keeping a similar talent at the position. 

The Packers seem to be trying to shore up non-premium cheaper positions in free agency to free up their numerous Day 1 & Day 2 draft picks for premium positions of need. I wouldn't be surprised if they get one of the ILBs or another safety in FA still to allow them to concentrate on the trenches (Especially OL). 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 7:58 AM, SemperFeist said:

As a rotational linebacker, I think I’d rather have Campbell than Hicks. 

But my memories of Campbell are still from a couple of years ago. I don’t know what he’s done the last couple of years. 

Campbell lost a step unfortunately and has never really lived up to that first year high. Like the guy but you would be hard pressed to find a fan that is too upset to see the football player gone. Really good person though. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Per Adam Schefter of ESPN, San Francisco is signing running back Patrick Taylor to a one-year deal.

Taylor, 25, was with the Packers for the last four seasons — though he had a short stint on the Patriots’ practice squad last year. In 11 games last season, he rushed for 141 yards on 32 carries and added 11 catches for 49 yards.

He has appeared in 34 total games — all with Green Bay — registering 322 offensive snaps and 276 special teams snaps.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/49ers-to-sign-rb-patrick-taylor

• 2 weeks later...