Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

5 minutes ago, GermanVike said:

I still don't understand the hype around Jordan Love. When I watched the game against the 49ers, I still noticed the same accuracy issues that he had leading up to the draft. His vision has improved quite a bit and the mobility is good.

He just plays within a great system and had the luck of multiple 49ers defenders falling down over the course of the game.

It's people slobbering over the history of QBs in Green Bay.  I certainly think he's playing better than I anticipated, but I still don't trust him.  I think his footwork is mediocre and he's not going to be able to continue to get away with throwing off his back foot.  He got lucky a lot later in the season playing defenses that were playing horribly with big holes that even I could hit (yes, sarcasm).  I think he will be a fine starter, but I still don't feel immensely threatened by him.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It's people slobbering over the history of QBs in Green Bay.  I certainly think he's playing better than I anticipated, but I still don't trust him.  I think his footwork is mediocre and he's not going to be able to continue to get away with throwing off his back foot.  He got lucky a lot later in the season playing defenses that were playing horribly with big holes that even I could hit (yes, sarcasm).  I think he will be a fine starter, but I still don't feel immensely threatened by him.

I’d expect him to be closer to Baker Mayfield than an upper echelon QB. There’s a lot to be excited about in Love but long term, I’m not confident hes going to be a ten year starter for GB. For someone who’s been in the league as long as Love, although he was a backup, youd think some of the fundamentals and mechanics would be further along. GB misses the playoffs if Kirk doesn’t get hurt so they did catch a break this year but it was a building year for them with their young roster. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I think his footwork is mediocre and he's not going to be able to continue to get away with throwing off his back foot.

This is the biggest thing I've noticed watching him the last few games. Sure, he's getting away with it now but will that continue to happen? MLF has also done a great job with his scheme, I've never seen so many wide-open pass catchers as I did in the Dallas and SF games.

They do have a nice group of young playmakers which is concerning.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GermanVike said:

I still don't understand the hype around Jordan Love. When I watched the game against the 49ers, I still noticed the same accuracy issues that he had leading up to the draft. His vision has improved quite a bit and the mobility is good.

He just plays within a great system and had the luck of multiple 49ers defenders falling down over the course of the game.

Because what he is doing currently is unprecedented. Find me a QB that has had similar success as Love did throwing to all rookie and 2nd yr WRs. Hell you can't turn on a sports talk show without hearing Chiefs fans constantly complain that Mahomes has no help even though he has arguably the GOAT TE. And this is in Love's 1st year starting.

He has things he needs to work on(footwork mostly) as do all young QBs. He has that "it" factor when watching him play, same feeling Rodgers gave me his 1st season starting in 2008. Regarding the SF game, he was playing good until Tom went out at RT. Then the pressure started to get to him and the last 4 drives were terrible. 

5 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I’d expect him to be closer to Baker Mayfield than an upper echelon QB. There’s a lot to be excited about in Love but long term, I’m not confident hes going to be a ten year starter for GB. For someone who’s been in the league as long as Love, although he was a backup, youd think some of the fundamentals and mechanics would be further along. GB misses the playoffs if Kirk doesn’t get hurt so they did catch a break this year but it was a building year for them with their young roster. 

Can play the what if games all day. If Bakh doesn't miss the entire season after week 1, Jones isn't hurt most of the year, Watson isn't hurt most of the year or Packers have an average defense then they probably would've been fighting for the #1 seed. 

33 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

While it kills me, I suspect Love will be a very good QB for Green Bay for a long time...dammit!!!!

I'm excited for our offense to grow together. Watson(when healthy), Reed, Wicks, Musgrave, Kraft and Tom all look like future pro bowl/all pro level players. And then you have guys like Doubs who was the best WR in the playoffs and Walker who is a 7th round 2nd player at LT who dramatically improved the 2nd half of the year and is potentially our franchise LT. 

If everyone stay's healthy, our offense should be scary next year. Add in a RB in FA(Henry or Barkley pls) and we could potentially be talking about the best offense in the league.

6 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Can play the what if games all day. If Bakh doesn't miss the entire season after week 1, Jones isn't hurt most of the year, Watson isn't hurt most of the year or Packers have an average defense then they probably would've been fighting for the #1 seed. 

I only switched one scenario and that was the Vikings losing a top 8 QB that never misses games. Your laundry list of what if scenarios is not convincing. Sorry, but the Packers are sitting out of the playoffs it Cousins doesn’t tear his Achilles. Let’s not forget Jefferson missing half the year too. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, GermanVike said:

The growth from him is something to watch. For a first year starter, I think he exceeded everyone's expectations.

With natural growth in Love's second year and their DC gone, I think Green Bay can be a darkhorse Superbowl team by next year or 2025.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

The growth from him is something to watch. For a first year starter, I think he exceeded everyone's expectations.

With natural growth in Love's second year and their DC gone, I think Green Bay can be a darkhorse Superbowl team by next year or 2025.

As long as all defenses have gaping holes in their secondary. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Because what he is doing currently is unprecedented. Find me a QB that has had similar success as Love did throwing to all rookie and 2nd yr WRs. Hell you can't turn on a sports talk show without hearing Chiefs fans constantly complain that Mahomes has no help even though he has arguably the GOAT TE. And this is in Love's 1st year starting.

He has things he needs to work on(footwork mostly) as do all young QBs. He has that "it" factor when watching him play, same feeling Rodgers gave me his 1st season starting in 2008. Regarding the SF game, he was playing good until Tom went out at RT. Then the pressure started to get to him and the last 4 drives were terrible. 

In case there was a misunderstanding: I don't think Love is a bad quarterback. I think his vision and mobility make him a good quarterback in the modern game. However, I think his accuracy issues and tendency to force off-platform throws will keep him from being a great quarterback.

Packers have signed kicker Jack Podlesny, adding competition for rookie kicker Anders Carlson who struggled this season, potentially looking to bring in another kicker during the offseason.

https://fanrecap.com/article-457996/?utm_source=green-bay-packers&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=nfl-mk&fbclid=IwAR3BdAYrF3JAfqvSCx8LNhQlMVc11LrLgvhlmXes9rMWPeNfIk6uq5U5-jc#google_vignette

we had Podlesny in training camp and cut him.

5 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Packers have signed kicker Jack Podlesny, adding competition for rookie kicker Anders Carlson who struggled this season, potentially looking to bring in another kicker during the offseason.

https://fanrecap.com/article-457996/?utm_source=green-bay-packers&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=nfl-mk&fbclid=IwAR3BdAYrF3JAfqvSCx8LNhQlMVc11LrLgvhlmXes9rMWPeNfIk6uq5U5-jc#google_vignette

we had Podlesny in training camp and cut him.

The ole podster wasn’t too bad if I remember correctly. It’s good to have competition for Carlson, but don’t give up on him too quickly. We learned that lesson with Dan. I believe Anders will get this kicking deal straightened out (pun intended). 

• Like 2