Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

LaFleur: “If I thought that was the best solution today [firing Barry], then we’d make that decision. But when you’re having basic communication problems and you’re supposed to be in a certain coverage or a certain rotation and we’re not getting that communication, that’s what’s so disappointing to me is the fact that it was poor communication. And it always starts with us. It starts with myself, and it goes to all our assistant coaches. So obviously the coaching wasn’t up to the standard and our performance on the field definitely showed that as well.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/matt-lafleur-doesnt-think-firing-dc-joe-barry-is-best-solution-for-team

hmmm... not sure that's the best "explanation" to make the next day. throwing the coaches under the bus....

• 2 weeks later...

They're still a mid team. They are who I thought they were, a team who will be stuck in mediocrity for the next decade, and I'm going to enjoy watching it! I chuckled when I read about why Alexander was suspended. When one of your leaders does what he did, it says a lot about their locker room and culture.

It's funny how far their standards have fallen in regards to QB. Last year, everybody was ready to move on from Rodgers because of his play (rightfully so), but with comparable play from Love, they think he should reset the market (which I hope they do). I would not be happy with his play if he were the future of the Vikings. Honestly, I don't know who I'd choose between him and Fields right now. Kirk would still be first (by far), then Goff, and then it's really a toss up. Really haven't seen him do anything that someone like Minshew or Fitzpatrick couldn't or hasn't done. He has a ton or work to do, and considering this is his 4th year, I'm not sure he'll ever be more than mid-tier. Sucks for him because he seems like a good kid, but great for the Vikings!

I hope the Bears win this weekend either in some sort of controversial way or a good old fashioned face stomping.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

I was admittedly shocked to see Love in 3rd place for TD passes in the league. His bulk stats look pretty solid but his footwork on some passes last night was mind-boggling, both good and bad instances.

Aren’t like half the leagues starting QBs on IR? Might be a bit dramatic there but I know the list is long. 

6 hours ago, sparkyjoe1 said:

It's funny how far their standards have fallen in regards to QB. Last year, everybody was ready to move on from Rodgers because of his play (rightfully so), but with comparable play from Love, they think he should reset the market (which I hope they do). I would not be happy with his play if he were the future of the Vikings. Honestly, I don't know who I'd choose between him and Fields right now. Kirk would still be first (by far), then Goff, and then it's really a toss up. Really haven't seen him do anything that someone like Minshew or Fitzpatrick couldn't or hasn't done. He has a ton or work to do, and considering this is his 4th year, I'm not sure he'll ever be more than mid-tier. Sucks for him because he seems like a good kid, but great for the Vikings!

Imagine, just imagine you put your bias away and look at the bigger picture as a whole.  He's 5th in TD%, 12th in AY/A, 11th in QB Rating, and 11th in ANY/A.  You compare him to Garner Mishnew and Ryan Fitzpatrick.  He's outplaying guys like Patrick Mahomes, Jalen Hurts, and Justin Herbert.  But yeah, he's clearly just a journeymen QB.  And if you can't spot the difference between Justin Fields and Jordan Love, then you don't know football.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Aren’t like half the leagues starting QBs on IR? Might be a bit dramatic there but I know the list is long. 

Other than Kirk Cousins and Aaron Rodgers, is there?  Personally, I prefer TD% over passing TD since it normalizes teams that pass more than others.  Brock Purdy leads it at 7%, but Jordan Love checks in at 5th at 5.5%.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Imagine, just imagine you put your bias away and look at the bigger picture as a whole.  He's 5th in TD%, 12th in AY/A, 11th in QB Rating, and 11th in ANY/A.  You compare him to Garner Mishnew and Ryan Fitzpatrick.  He's outplaying guys like Patrick Mahomes, Jalen Hurts, and Justin Herbert.  But yeah, he's clearly just a journeymen QB.  And if you can't spot the difference between Justin Fields and Jordan Love, then you don't know football.

Is he doing things that Minshew or Fitzpatrick haven't done? He makes a few great throws a game, a few nice throws a game, a few poor throws a game, and a few throw the remote at the tv throws a game. That is a mid tier qb, which is where I would put him. Not sure how that is biased... Do you think that you are underselling the impact your skill positions are making and contributing that to Love's prowess? I believe your receivers are making Love look better, not the other way around. Comparing him to Mahomes, Hurts, or Herbert is just asinine and if you can't see that, then you don't know football.

Imagine, just imagine you put your bias away and look at the bigger picture regarding Fields. He was not put in to a position to succeed from the beginning. His biggest issue is consistency and poor coaching. If he had good coaching from the beginning, he'd be a top qb right now. I don't think he's broken yet, but he needs the right coach. Right now, both Love and Fields are inconsistent. Love has had competent coaching and was able to sit and learn behind one if the best (spits the vomit out of my mouth) for 3 years, and is inconsistent. Fields was thrown into the fire in his rookie season after getting to sit behind Andy Dalton for 1 game. Love plays for one of the most stable franchises (again with the vomit, I hate your ownership group), while Fields has been playing for a dumpster fire of a franchise. Love has been a professional qb for 4 years, Fields for 3. You know what, you're right. I see the difference between Love and Fields after all. One was given every opportunity to find success, but has been inconsistent, while the other was set up to fail from the onset, and has been inconsistent. Silly me. 

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Other than Kirk Cousins and Aaron Rodgers, is there?  Personally, I prefer TD% over passing TD since it normalizes teams that pass more than others.  Brock Purdy leads it at 7%, but Jordan Love checks in at 5th at 5.5%.

Herbert and Burrow. Thought there was more, maybe not. 

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

His first half of the season was atrocious. The 2nd half has been outstanding. I think the first half was to be expected from him given the circumstances.

I'm interested to see how Love continues to progress. I think with some of these young guys around him getting more experience, we should see more consistent results. Maybe not peak Rodgers level of play, but if Love turns out to be a consistent top 10, there won't be a single Packers fan complaining...maybe lol

• Like 1