Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

13 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I wish more teams would just roll the dice with rookie QBs. 49ers and Giants kind of lucked into these complete unknowns at QB by taking a chance and letting them play. 

They didn't really "take a chance."  They were ultimately left no choice due to injury.  Purdy had to wait for Jimmy G and Trey Lance to get injured to get the opportunity to play.  The same goes with DeVito...Jones and Taylor had to suffer injuries for him to play.  The only other option for either of those teams was to bring in someone off the street and that's not generally a viable option.  

15 minutes ago, swede700 said:

They didn't really "take a chance."  They were ultimately left no choice due to injury.  Purdy had to wait for Jimmy G and Trey Lance to get injured to get the opportunity to play.  The same goes with DeVito...Jones and Taylor had to suffer injuries for him to play.  The only other option for either of those teams was to bring in someone off the street and that's not generally a viable option.  

We brought Dobbs in off the street, well a trade. Sure we had Mullens but I don’t think you can say with any confidence that you can ride him far into the playoffs. So take a chance.

1 hour ago, Captain Relax said:

I feel the opposite. I think the success of rookie QB'S is very dependent of talent and/or a good, creative offensive schemer who can maximize the rookies strength. Purdy has elite offensive talent around him and a very good coaching situation. Yes, he's a good QB, but he would be more average if he played for the Panthers.  DeVito has a decent and creative coach and Saquon Barkley. 

I think more rookies need to be sitting and learning than starting. Unfortunately, I think teams are pressured into starting rookies for contract/cap reasons...especially higher picks. We are witnessing the desentagration of Bryce Young.  CJ Stroud has looked more ordinary the last three games.  

The Vikes have borderline elite offensive talent. You don’t get much better than Jefferson, Hock and Addison as a trio assuming Jefferson is good to go. Osborn and Powell also can do some good things. RB is bad, sure. But a great set of Tackles and a solid IOL, you’re not going to find much better situations for a rookie QB to walk into than MN. So why’s it ok for SF to do it but not Mn. Both teams also have head coaches who are viewed as having strong offensive minds. 

17 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

We brought Dobbs in off the street, well a trade. Sure we had Mullens but I don’t think you can say with any confidence that you can ride him far into the playoffs. So take a chance.

If Mullens hadn't been injured, Dobbs would likely still be in Arizona.  Yes, there's no certainty you could ride him far into the playoffs, but there's no way to say they couldn't either.  Hell, the NFC Championship Game in 2017-18 matched up Nick Foles and Case Keenum.

And if Hall hadn't gotten concussed in the first quarter of the first game, he might still be the starting QB right now (ahead of Mullens and Dobbs).  So, I'd say that they did "take a chance" under your definition, but it just wasn't meant to be.  Circumstances have changed the outcome thus far. 

Mullens, with his experience (and actually having been on a playoff team), is the best option at this point to get them to the playoffs, which is now the goal.  I do believe that Hall should be the primary backup though, because he's more suited to the offensive scheme than Dobbs is in the event of an injury to Mullens.  With them seeing him in practice every day, I have trust that they know, outside of injury, that Hall's not the better option at this point.   

• Like 1

Everyone thinks that because the 49ers got a starter in Brock Purdy and that Tom Brady is the GOAT, that every backup QB might be their diamond in the rough. They aren't. Purdy and Brady are, without a doubt, the outliers. For every Brock Purdy, there's 1000 Kellen Monds. 

The NFL is a business. A competetive business, where the goal is to win, put fans in the seats, and win championships. Coaches coach to keep their jobs. Players play to win and improve their chances at a more lucrative contract. Coaches want to put their best chance of winning on the field. If the Vikings thought that Hall was that guy, he'd be there now. If Mullens hadn't been injured, Hall wouldn't have started and Dobbs wouldn't be a Viking. It really is that simple.

Imagine how crappy the NFL would be to watch if every team started throwing their 7th round rookie QB's out there the last half of the season just to "see what they've got." It's simply not going to happen.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 10:46 AM, wcblack34 said:

Everyone thinks that because the 49ers got a starter in Brock Purdy and that Tom Brady is the GOAT, that every backup QB might be their diamond in the rough. They aren't. Purdy and Brady are, without a doubt, the outliers. For every Brock Purdy, there's 1000 Kellen Monds. 

The NFL is a business. A competetive business, where the goal is to win, put fans in the seats, and win championships. Coaches coach to keep their jobs. Players play to win and improve their chances at a more lucrative contract. Coaches want to put their best chance of winning on the field. If the Vikings thought that Hall was that guy, he'd be there now. If Mullens hadn't been injured, Hall wouldn't have started and Dobbs wouldn't be a Viking. It really is that simple.

Imagine how crappy the NFL would be to watch if every team started throwing their 7th round rookie QB's out there the last half of the season just to "see what they've got." It's simply not going to happen.

I just watched Mullens throw what should have been what 5 interceptions. It can’t get much worse than that, can it?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Green Bay should play 3D chess next week and lose to Carolina. 

This takes on the assumption that Matt LaFleur knows what he's doing, when he's shown time after time that he doesn't.

The fact that they kept Joe Barry is the biggest red flag against him and the front office.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

It can. It definitely can.

I'm sure it can.  Watching Dobbs, I almost gasped every time he threw the ball thinking it was an interceptable ball.  Really, we've all just been spoiled by Kirko Chainz.

But, on topic...how 'bout dem Packers?  Finding a way to lose during their easiest stretch of the season. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

I'm sure it can.  Watching Dobbs, I almost gasped every time he threw the ball thinking it was an interceptable ball.  Really, we've all just been spoiled by Kirko Chainz.

But, on topic...how 'bout dem Packers?  Finding a way to lose during their easiest stretch of the season. 

Yes, we’ve been spoiled with Cousins. Hopefully they can work something out. 

• Like 2