Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

On 7/22/2024 at 5:41 AM, CWood21 said:

Seems highly unlikely he ends up being the highest paid QB.

According to multiple reports, Jordan Love has agreed to a four-year extension with the Packers that will make him the highest-paid quarterback in league history.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jordan-love-packers-agree-to-four-year-contract-extension

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

According to multiple reports, Jordan Love has agreed to a four-year extension with the Packers that will make him the highest-paid quarterback in league history.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jordan-love-packers-agree-to-four-year-contract-extension

I was wrong.  Won't last long but I can admit when I'm wrong.

• Like 2

Imagine if the Packers didn't win a ton of one score games at the end of last season. They'd be in Dak Prescott territory, trying to justify a massive overpay for a QB who only had an 8 game stretch of strong play.

That'd be like us making Case Keenum the highest paid QB ever after his 2017 season. 

How ridiculous.

These contracts aren’t being given out because of what the players have accomplished, they’re being given for what the team expects from these players moving forward. 

Out of all of the extensions handed out, the Packers’ contract for Love is easily the biggest gamble. If he plays the next 5 years at the level he played the last 8 or so games, then it’ll be money well spent. If he doesn’t, then it’s a “career ender” decision for the GM. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 4:01 AM, SteelKing728 said:

Imagine if the Packers didn't win a ton of one score games at the end of last season. They'd be in Dak Prescott territory, trying to justify a massive overpay for a QB who only had an 8 game stretch of strong play.

That'd be like us making Case Keenum the highest paid QB ever after his 2017 season. 

How ridiculous.

And if my aunt had a **** she'd be my uncle.

Love led Packers to the playoffs and a playoff win during a rebuild year with the youngest team in the league. He has same amount of playoff wins in one season starting as Kirk Cousins did his entire tenure with the Vikings when you backed up the brinks truck for him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

It's many, many years ago
When I was twenty-three
I was married to a widow
Who was pretty as can be
This widow had a grown-up daughter
Who's hair was red
My father fell in love with her
And soon these two were wed

This made dad my son-in-law
And changed my very life
My daughter was my mother
'Cause she was my father's wife
To complicate the situation
Though it brought me joy
I soon became the father
Of a bouncing baby boy

This little baby then became
A brother-in-law to Dad
That made him my uncle
Though it made me kinda sad
Cause if he was my uncle
Then he also was a brother
To the widow's grown-up daughter
Who of course was my step-mother

My father's wife then had a son
Who kept him on the run
He became my grandchild
Because he was my daughter's son
My wife is now my mother's mother
And that makes me blue
Because although she is my wife
She's my grandmother too

And if my wife is my grandmother
Then I'm her grandchild
And every time I think of that
It nearly drives me wild
Now I have become
The strangest case you ever saw
As husband to my grandmother
I am my own grandpa

Well I'm my own grandpa
I'm my own grandpa
That may sound funny I know
But it really is so
I'm my own grandpa

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Love led Packers to the playoffs and a playoff win during a rebuild year with the youngest team in the league. He has same amount of playoff wins in one season starting as Kirk Cousins did his entire tenure with the Vikings when you backed up the brinks truck for him. 

Yes, it happened...but, also if Kirk Cousins hadn't gotten injured, Jordan Love likely wouldn't have even made the playoffs. 

I congratulate him for cashing in when his turn came up, but this kind of nonsense isn't really necessary.  Just say you're glad you got him signed and move on. There's no real comparison to be made between the Vikings' situation and the Packers.  I understand being upset at the OP's response, but it should also be noted that it's coming from a Vikings fan.  Just as you wish Justin Jefferson's hands would turn to steel, we wish your team to cry into your limburger queso while peeing into your sink.     

• Like 2

On 7/29/2024 at 6:25 AM, swede700 said:

Yes, it happened...but, also if Kirk Cousins hadn't gotten injured, Jordan Love likely wouldn't have even made the playoffs. 

I congratulate him for cashing in when his turn came up, but this kind of nonsense isn't really necessary.  Just say you're glad you got him signed and move on. There's no real comparison to be made between the Vikings' situation and the Packers.  I understand being upset at the OP's response, but it should also be noted that it's coming from a Vikings fan.  Just as you wish Justin Jefferson's hands would turn to steel, we wish your team to cry into your limburger queso while peeing into your sink.     

Not upset, just think it's dumb to play hypothetical as if it's black and white. For exampe, if:

-David Bakhtiari doesn't get hurt week 1 and forces us to start a 2nd yr former 7th round pick

-Christian Watson doesn't miss half the season

-Aaron Jones isn't injured half the season

Then a few of those losses most likely become wins. End of the day, Jordan Love carried the youngest team in the league who were ravaged with injuries to key players, to the playoffs when no one expected them to make it much less win a playoff game. Not to mention 25% of our cap was dead cap(57.1m) last year. 

Edited by Mdpackfan22

Packers rookie running back MarShawn Lloyd can’t stay healthy. Lloyd, the 88th overall pick this spring, began camp rehabbing a hip injury before finally practicing July 30. He left Saturday’s preseason game with a hamstring injury.

LaFleur: “I think he had two touches, and then he goes out. That is disappointing. He’s going to have to get healthy, because we’ve seen what he’s capable of doing in practice but you’d just like to see it in a real game.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/packers-rookie-rb-marshawn-lloyd-injures-hamstring

On 8/10/2024 at 10:37 PM, vike daddy said:

Packers rookie running back MarShawn Lloyd can’t stay healthy. Lloyd, the 88th overall pick this spring, began camp rehabbing a hip injury before finally practicing July 30. He left Saturday’s preseason game with a hamstring injury.

LaFleur: “I think he had two touches, and then he goes out. That is disappointing. He’s going to have to get healthy, because we’ve seen what he’s capable of doing in practice but you’d just like to see it in a real game.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/packers-rookie-rb-marshawn-lloyd-injures-hamstring

Been a real bummer between him and the young safeties I was really curious to see in the preseason games. Bullard & Williams both look like ballers so far at safety which is great and Lloyds one touch was actually really decent but  doesn't matter if he can't stay healthy. It also doesn't help that behind Jacobs the Packers have experience in Dillon and a young explosive guy in Emmanuel Wilson who has shown out in camp and in the preseason game. He may find himself #4 on the depth chart. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2024 at 8:25 AM, swede700 said:

That's an interesting hypothetical you've got going on there.  Not sure I follow your train of logic though.  They were 3-4 going into that game against Green Bay and 4-4 after it.  They proceeded to go 3-6 down the remaining 9 games.  They were -2 in close wins/losses, so something closer to the average seems possible.  But that was a 8-10 win team max IMO.  The Vikings in 2023 were the exact opposite of what they were in 2022.