Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

Just now, vike daddy said:

i am auditioning a new vike mommy and she looks to be exceptional. ¬¬

Is she a hair stylist?

I'd say it would be great for you too, but I'm not sure you have much hair on the top of your head you have these days.

9_9

I'm sure she could touch up and give ya a little color on the sides tho!

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Didn't several years ago the Vikings run a "similar" situation?  How did that work?

thatsthejoke.gif

Vikings TOA was Childress as HC, Fran Foley and later Rob Brzezinski as the numbers guy, and Spielman as the personnel guy.

Under the TOA (started in 2006), Vikings were built mostly through expensive veterans, in house and through FA, which seemed (to me at the time) to reflect the win-now timeframe of the head coach. Probably McCarthy would have a similar tendency if he gets as much influence over the Packers as Childress had in Minnesota, more understandably in GB’s case since they’re looking at a finite window (5 more years?) of HOF quality QB play.  The 2006 Vikings had no such excuse — they had some very good veteran pieces like the Williams wall, Hutchinson and Winfield, but not really a SB quality core until they traded for Allen, drafted Peterson, Rice and Harvin, and signed Favre. 

Childress was fired after the TOA built team collapsed in 2010. Frazier was hired by ownership and joined the TOA as a supposedly equal partner. The 2011 draft was bad (Ponder) and the season was worse (McNabb, probably the worst WRs in the league). Spielman was promoted to GM in 2012, a move that was widely criticized at the time, since the bad teams of 2010-11 were held to be mostly his fault.

Vikings drafting improved considerably after 2012, with Spielman now solely in charge of it. They stuck mostly to a slow rebuild schedule, drafting and developing and holding on to their own depth.

They had one good season thanks to Adrian Peterson breaking records, but the 2013 season was another disappointment as the defense (Frazier’s hallmark) was worst in the league despite what looks in retrospect like legitimate talent (Allen, Robison, Griffen, Floyd, KWilliams, Guion, Greenway, Hodges, Smith, Sendejo, Rhodes). They lost numerous games by giving up TD drives in the last 2 minutes. Spielman got permission to fire Frazier and hire his own coach.

Zimmer was chosen in part because they wanted to build a defense that could stop the competition in the QB heavy NFCN (Rodgers, Stafford, Cutler at the time). Vikings defense went from 32nd in points allowed in 2013, to 11th in 2014, then 5th, 6th, and now 1st. They’re 39-25 under Zimmer, same record as GB since 2014, and have matched them head to head (4-4) and in division titles (2 each). 

Packers situation is different, as long as Rodgers is Rodgers, and an all-in approach to try to get back ahead of the Vikings seems reasonable enough. I’m not too optimistic on their behalf that that’s going to work, as I think the roster mostly lacks elite talent outside QB1 (Bakhtiari’s the only guy with even an argument for All Pro) and Rodgers has not been as good since 2015 as he was at his peak. Maybe he’ll have a late 30s Brady-like renaissance, but anything less than that probably leaves GB as a very good team (10 wins, usually in the playoffs) but not the dominant team they were at their best from 2010-14. 

I do give them credit for recognizing the current setup had come to the end of the road. I wrote a few posts at the old FF site arguing that the Packers peak was built on a number of great players being drafted outside the top 20 (Rodgers, Jennings, Nelson, Sitton, Lang, Matthews, Collins), plus some remarkable success with UDFAs (two quality starting CBs in Tramon and Shields) and older FAs (Woodson and Peppers).

I didn’t think that kind of draft success was sustainable, and while Thompson continued to hit on some later draft picks (Bakhtiari, Daniels, Martinez, Linsley) and had at least decent success for his draft position with some of his earlier picks (Clark, Adams), the overall quality of their roster has declined appreciably, especially on defense and at WR with the aging of Matthews and Nelson, the regression of Cobb, and the inability of Perry to stay healthy or produce consistently. A number of their best players on defense are more good than great right now (HHCD, Randall, Burnett, Matthews, even Daniels in a down year this year), and aren’t really game changers. Couple that with Rodgers dropping slightly from God level to merely HOF level and the result is a Packers team that isn’t as good as it used to be. 

I thought they might opt to hold the course and hope that more of the same would start to work better for them. Instead, they’re cleaning house, and kudos for that. No guarantee the new Packers management model will do better, but I think it gives them a much better chance to rebuild effectively while Rodgers is still young enough to win another ring. 

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Rodgers simply has to hold out. He’s under contract, but the guaranteed portion of the contract is up, he’s underpaid by positional standards, and he pretty much holds all the leverage. 

If Rodgers truly wanted out, like Carson Palmer in Cincinnati, he could get out. 

There is also the whole "IR-play this week-back to IR next week" issue that there were rumblings about.  It may not have any legs, but Rodgers could always threaten to leak something that would give it legs and force them to just cut him.  That could "make the cheese more binding."    

2 hours ago, perrynoid said:

This was my thinking also.  He could simply retire if he so chose.  He certainly has enough money (and you wonder why your Allstate premiums have gone up so much lol).  Where I see the irony in this situation is how much it reminds me of the friction between GB and Favre several years ago, and how disastrously that all played out.  In my best possible scenario, he  grows tired of football (i.e. retires), re-unites with Olivia Munn, and they star in several X-Men movies together (what would his mutant super-power be?).

Arrogance

• Like 2

Just now, vike daddy said:

the Pack will never just cut Rodgers and get no compensation for him, if it comes to that.

Sorry, my sentence wasn't worded very well.  I meant that he could threaten to get the whole thing going which would force them to cut him.  You're right that they would never cut him on their own. 

7 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

they'll still never just cut him from the roster, Buck, regardless of the circumstances forcing it.

he has trade value, HIGH trade value. their FO would never just throw that away.

Actually, with the IR debacle that went on. If there isn't a new injury they can't IR a player twice in a row like they did, instead they are supposed to cut him to add another player to the 53 man roster.

If Rodgers would come out saying he wasn't injured, and the Packers lied and put him on the IR to add another piece to the roster and "tank".  There could be a chance the NFL would force them to cut him.

It would be HIGHLY doubtful that would ever happen. I'm not sure how that would even actually work, because he would have to clear waivers to even pick his own team. He isn't going to clear waivers. So that plan might actually work against him if he ended up a Brown.

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

It would be HIGHLY doubtful that would ever happen. I'm not sure how that would even actually work, because he would have to clear waivers to even pick his own team. He isn't going to clear waivers. So that plan might actually work against him if he ended up a Brown.

exactly. even with Favre, they negotiated with him as to what team he would agree to be traded to.

little known fact - Favre and Thompson/McCarthy, in their divorce settlement, agreed that the Pack would trade Favre to the Tampa Bay Bucs. Favre even said something like, "good, GB plays the Bucs this coming year, I'll whip your asss." Favre then left the facility and flew home to Mississippi, and when getting off the plane found out GB  had traded him to the Jets instead. he decided not to fight it.

• Like 1