Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

From Bob McGinn, longtime Packers beat reporter:

The Packers gave director of player personnel Brian Gutekunst the title of general manager to replace Ted Thompson, whose title was executive vice president, general manager and director of football operations.

Russ Ball, the vice president of football administration/player finance, coveted the GM job. When Ball was passed over, he decided to remain working for the team with the title of executive vice president and director of football operations.

Now coach Mike McCarthy, Gutekunst and Ball will report directly to Murphy, the 62-year-old president and chief executive officer entering his 10th season atop the corporation. In the past, McCarthy reported to Thompson.

When Wolf fired Lindy Infante in 1991, hired Mike Holmgren in 1992, hired Ray Rhodes in 1999, fired Rhodes in 1999 and hired Mike Sherman in 2000, he kept Harlan abreast of developments but made the decision himself.

Gutekunst, however, no longer can fire McCarthy or hire his successor. He’ll be involved in decisions involving the coach, but Murphy said the decision now would be his.

“I think there are 13 teams in the league where the head coach reports directly to the owner,” said Murphy. “I realize I’m not an owner, but I represent the shareholders.”

Sounds like the Packers version of the Triangle.

“Our model is the trapezoid...”

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Good for them.

He actually was a good DC back in the day. I mean he wasn't the lead guy.....Rex Ryan. His defenses have worked well of late...

Who knows, we found some luck from a Ex-Browns Head Coach.

You look at how his defenses finished and the results were pretty good. I really don't know who the right guy is. Fangio is the hot name, and I like his results, but there is a real possibility Pettine is a better coach.

Like you said, you found a lot of success in an old Browns coach. Speaks volumes to the dysfunction of that franchise. It's easy to laugh at the Browns and call everything associated with them a failure, but there are diamonds in the rough there. The Vikings found one, maybe Pettine is another?

• Like 1