Official Pistons Thread: Offseason

1King

5 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

So Killian Hayes is not by far the worst player in the NBA anymore it seems.  He has had a solid stretch including shooting from behind the arc even.  Hope he can keep it up to be at least a trade chip or a true piece of the team next year.  

it's truly a wild development. 36.5% from 3 overall as a starter and 37.5% catch and shoot. still the only good poa defender on the roster and the only healthy willing passer. seems like the perfect tyus jones-ish backup pg and if the shooting is real it really opens up some different lineup combinations when cade is healthy

saddiq on the other hand

5abb9e6a3216741c008b462d?width=700

• Like 2

On 1/14/2023 at 10:16 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

Don’t look now but Killian is averaging double digits now. He’s at 10.0 exactly.

He has averaged 13 over the last 30 days and 15 the last 15 days.  Along with 8 assists per game and almost two 3's per game.  I'm all about seeing his development now as long as it keeps us in the bottom 3 for lottery purposes.  Ivey has been playing well too and hopefully Duren gets back soon and continues to develop.  Those three along with Cade and a top 3 pick should be our core for the next few years.  I am still iffy on Bey and Stewarts long term fit but if they are depth they would be very good depth.  Bey has been solid the last few games as well going for 20+ points and 5 rebs. 

Not having any bigs seems to really be hurting right now. On Sunday Stewart played 29 mins and he was the tallest player who played.  Livers had 39 mins but those two against Mitchell Robinson and Randle is not a good matchup as seen by Randle's 42 points and 15 rebounds.  

Progress is being made for sure.  Still annoying being a rebuilding team for the 20th straight season but there is hope on the horizon.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, catcheryea said:

this is interesting and i'm not sure if it's more good than bad or vice versa

FmsDa-FXwAc8a7f?format=jpg&name=small

I think in basketball when you’re that type of prospect, this seems to make sense and doesn’t really worry me. In high school he was playing to be the #1 overall recruit. After that, he played his one season and was focused on becoming the #1 overall pick. After that, he’s focused on trying to live up to the #1 pick expectations. It would make sense that he would put this on the back burner until now, as before now, there really wasn’t a chance for a long rehab without it getting in the way. He can take his time now and should get to 100%.  It’s hard to remember, but high school for him was less than 4 years ago. 

54 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm generally pretty optimistic about things like that. It seemed like a fairly normal surgery so hopefully it got it all straightened out. 

18 minutes ago, winitall said:

I think in basketball when you’re that type of prospect, this seems to make sense and doesn’t really worry me. In high school he was playing to be the #1 overall recruit. After that, he played his one season and was focused on becoming the #1 overall pick. After that, he’s focused on trying to live up to the #1 pick expectations. It would make sense that he would put this on the back burner until now, as before now, there really wasn’t a chance for a long rehab without it getting in the way. He can take his time now and should get to 100%.  It’s hard to remember, but high school for him was less than 4 years ago. 

i tend to agree with both of you that it's probably pretty straightforward and that hopefully the surgery and recovery and the time off let him get back to being healthy for the first time in years. and i remember reading that these types of injuries usually don't reoccur if they go the surgery route, but there's like 5% of me that's curious/concerned how it first happened and if it could become a chronic thing under a full nba schedule

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 3:06 PM, catcheryea said:

i tend to agree with both of you that it's probably pretty straightforward and that hopefully the surgery and recovery and the time off let him get back to being healthy for the first time in years. and i remember reading that these types of injuries usually don't reoccur if they go the surgery route, but there's like 5% of me that's curious/concerned how it first happened and if it could become a chronic thing under a full nba schedule

I read that there are complications/recurring issues in a decently high number of patients (high for medical world anyways) at like 10% after surgery.  That may not be with professional level athlete and medical care but still a concern that it could linger.  If he had a stress fracture in his shin since HS, thats crazy he played on it and never got it taken care of or looked at.  Its too bad because the same article mentions it typically doesn't need surgery and if he would have rested for a few months back then, he may have avoided it getting this bad.  

• 2 weeks later...

when you start bey and bogdanovich together and they shoot 10/28 and 2/13 from 3, why are they both on floor to end the game? neither one plays defense, they can't rebound, they're the two worst and least willing passers on the roster. what are they offering you besides scoring? and if they aren't scoring, what are they offering the team? we saw this consistently in the first two months of the year, casey finally made a lineup change that worked, and now they've gone back to it for seemingly no reason other than he wants to play stewart exclusively as a center

why are we in year 5(?) of casey not recognizing what guys are good at and what guys suck at?

killian has looked like a legitimate nba player for the first time in his career after moving to the starting lineup, and he gets benched and has his minutes and role reduced because he was bad in paris or something?

Edited by catcheryea

16 hours ago, catcheryea said:

it's kinda crazy that killian gets moved back to the bench and immediately is terrible again after being solid for 2 full months

definitely not an encouraging sign for the future

Yeah, definitely not a great development. He’s going to have to learn to play off the bench because he’s most likely never going to be starter material.

It seems like the Pistons are going to be relatively quiet at the deadline, at least if the rumors are accurate.  With that being said, I think trading Bey is going to happen.  Hopefully they can get a decent return for him, maybe that Dallas 2029 1st from the Nets?  I have no idea if that value makes sense, but it seems the Nets still want to go for it a bit and the Pistons get an unprotected 1st like they wanted.