Official Pistons Thread: Offseason

1King

47 minutes ago, winitall said:

It seems like the Pistons are going to be relatively quiet at the deadline, at least if the rumors are accurate.  With that being said, I think trading Bey is going to happen.  Hopefully they can get a decent return for him, maybe that Dallas 2029 1st from the Nets?  I have no idea if that value makes sense, but it seems the Nets still want to go for it a bit and the Pistons get an unprotected 1st like they wanted.  

i know they say they want to keep burks and bojan because they want to actually "compete" next year and honestly i'm sort of okay with that. but if you want to keep bojan you have to move bey and if you'd rather keep bey then you have to move bojan. you can't expect to "compete" when both of those guys are playing 50+ minutes a night and you're also playing ivey 30+ and bagley 15-20. at some point they need to realize there's a second end of the floor and you don't need 6 guys in your rotation who think they're a primary option and only care about getting buckets

5 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

i know they say they want to keep burks and bojan because they want to actually "compete" next year and honestly i'm sort of okay with that. but if you want to keep bojan you have to move bey and if you'd rather keep bey then you have to move bojan. you can't expect to "compete" when both of those guys are playing 50+ minutes a night and you're also playing ivey 30+ and bagley 15-20. at some point they need to realize there's a second end of the floor and you don't need 6 guys in your rotation who think they're a primary option and only care about getting buckets

I completely agree.  I would prefer they keep none of them, but I'm not in charge.  I think they have to move at least one, and I feel like based on the tea leaves, it seems like Bey is the most likely.  I'm really curious what ends up happening with this team overall though, as they could really use some wings and the top of the draft isn't wing heavy it seems.

1 hour ago, winitall said:

I completely agree.  I would prefer they keep none of them, but I'm not in charge.  I think they have to move at least one, and I feel like based on the tea leaves, it seems like Bey is the most likely.  I'm really curious what ends up happening with this team overall though, as they could really use some wings and the top of the draft isn't wing heavy it seems.

there's actually a bunch of wings in the 3-15ish range but a lot of them have pretty big questions about their games, which makes sense i guess or they would've separated themselves by now

jarace walker is basically already what the coaches are hoping stewart can become as a 4 but is a much better athlete and has shown the ability to process quickly and make good decisions out of the short roll including showing nice touch when he decides to take a dribble and a quick floater. he also might be the best and most versatile defender in the draft sans wemby. i think he'd fit in nearly seamlessly from day one

taylor hendricks is another guy who's pretty intriguing. really good vertical athlete and finisher. averaging almost 2 blocks a game and shooting 79% from the line and 38.5% from 3 on 4.5 attempts. not sure if he can move with 3s or if he basically locked into being a 4 and i'm not sure how he's looked as a self creator but again, if you're playing with cade and ivey you don't need or want everybody on the floor to create their own shots all the time

brandon miller, the thompsons, cam whitmore are all ranked higher than those two if you look around (walker is in the mix with them) but i feel like i have more questions than answers for them right now and kind of question their fits

• Like 1

15 hours ago, winitall said:

I'm good for flipping them and Noel as well but also they do need some veterans in the building to help show the young guys what and how to do things.  If they move those guys, they will have room for a max deal but not sure there is a free agent worth paying a max deal to but would have room to trade for one.  Middleton would be helpful but not sure he leaves and at his age isnt a long term option. 

The rumors of a Bey for Reddish plus are not exciting to me.  Bey should have more value than Reddish at this point and second round picks are meh.  

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2023/2/8/23588302/nba-trade-rumors-bojan-bogdanovic-espn-trade-machine-warriors-lakers-heat-draft-picks-salaries

Would love that deal from the Warriors but it seems absolutely ridiculous that they would give up that much for Bojan.  

The Heat deal would be nice pick wise but not sure thats worth taking on Robinson's salary the next three years.  

I doubt that Lakers deal would happen but the picks would be nice.  

Likely none of these will happen but fun to look at.  

I don’t watch as much basketball as some of y’all, but could this be setting up a bigger deal in the offseason?  I know Weaver loves his reclamation bigs, but you can only play so many. The 2nd round picks just seem a lot more attractive unless they’re trying to have a piece they can move later. Maybe they could use Wiseman plus some other pieces to try and do a sign-and-trade for Cameron Johnson come summer?  

1 hour ago, winitall said:

I don’t watch as much basketball as some of y’all, but could this be setting up a bigger deal in the offseason?  I know Weaver loves his reclamation bigs, but you can only play so many. The 2nd round picks just seem a lot more attractive unless they’re trying to have a piece they can move later. Maybe they could use Wiseman plus some other pieces to try and do a sign-and-trade for Cameron Johnson come summer?  

i have no idea what this does to their plans for the future but my gut feeling is that yeah they'll try to sign some vets and try to be the 8 seed next year. i don't know why weaver thinks wiseman is the catalyst for that but here we are. i'm not sure what cam johnson is hoping to get in free agency but there really isn't any need for a sign and trade since detroit will still have plenty of cap space assuming they don't get even crazier and accept noel's options

i guess there's a small chance he deals bojan during the draft for a pick but nothing about how today went makes me think he's willing to do that and risk another sub 25 win season

i can't even process this

and this is from the athletic, pretty damning

Bey’s value around the league wasn’t very high to begin with. Multiple league executives whose teams inquired about Bey told The Athletic in recent weeks that Detroit’s asking price for Bey was too high leading up to the deadline when factoring in his inconsistencies on offense and defensive deficiencies. None who spoke to The Athletic were willing to give up anything of significance to land Bey. Additionally, per league sources, Bey, who has one year left on his rookie deal after this season, was seeking a decent contract extension.

On the floor, Bey’s style of play was starting to wear on some in Detroit’s organization. He did have the ability to score in bunches, and did so often, but his shot selection and, at times, tunnel vision went against what the team wanted to see from him as a player. The Pistons wanted Bey to do more by doing less. Bey was interested in expanding his game. Bey’s most efficient season came his rookie year when he was primarily a catch-and-shoot weapon. Since then, when he’s dabbled in self-creation more, his efficiency has dropped significantly. Bey hasn’t had an effective-field-goal percentage greater than 50 since his rookie year.

While this move, on the surface, might not signal that the Pistons have aspirations of turning a corner in the win-loss column next season, it does in the bigger picture — as of now at least. The efficient-scoring Bojan Bogdanović, who the Pistons traded for before the season, remains in Detroit past the deadline despite heavy interest. Additionally, this move opens up a bigger role for second-year forward Isaiah Livers, who possesses the 3-and-D qualities Detroit is seeking from that role…

…With that said, the Pistons’ biggest moves were always likely going to come this offseason. Detroit still remains one of the league’s top cap-space teams for the summer of 2023 and is destined for a top-5 pick in the stacked 2023 NBA Draft.

1 hour ago, catcheryea said:

i have no idea what this does to their plans for the future but my gut feeling is that yeah they'll try to sign some vets and try to be the 8 seed next year. i don't know why weaver thinks wiseman is the catalyst for that but here we are. i'm not sure what cam johnson is hoping to get in free agency but there really isn't any need for a sign and trade since detroit will still have plenty of cap space assuming they don't get even crazier and accept noel's options

i guess there's a small chance he deals bojan during the draft for a pick but nothing about how today went makes me think he's willing to do that and risk another sub 25 win season

i can't even process this

and this is from the athletic, pretty damning

I guess my thought process from a sign-and-trade standpoint was that I think he'll be a restricted FA, and I'm not sure Brooklyn would just let him go without getting anything in return.  I know the team needs vets if they want to compete, but I hope they're smart about it.  I would much rather wait or take a chance on a Cam Johnson, rather than overpay for a name.  

As far as Wiseman starting, that makes zero sense to me.  Duren has been pretty good as a starter, why bench him for a question mark?  At the very least, they could have let Wiseman practice with the team for a bit to try and show he is the better player or something.

13 minutes ago, winitall said:

I guess my thought process from a sign-and-trade standpoint was that I think he'll be a restricted FA, and I'm not sure Brooklyn would just let him go without getting anything in return.  I know the team needs vets if they want to compete, but I hope they're smart about it.  I would much rather wait or take a chance on a Cam Johnson, rather than overpay for a name.  

As far as Wiseman starting, that makes zero sense to me.  Duren has been pretty good as a starter, why bench him for a question mark?  At the very least, they could have let Wiseman practice with the team for a bit to try and show he is the better player or something.

holy **** i didn't even realize johnson was still on his rookie deal. it feels like he's been in the league 8 years. he'd be a great guy to go after but he would be great on a lot of teams and i don't think ever 2 months of even really good james wiseman is moving the needle for brooklyn compared to what else could be out there. if there was really no one else interested they'd probably just force him to sign the offer sheet and match

11 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

man i think koby altman broke troy's brain

FonJMQOXEAIQuG9?format=jpg&name=large

lol, trade a bad defender for a guy with no production at all and who does not fit with any of those guys on the court that you mentioned.  I think its time for Weaver to go along with Casey.  There is no direction to his moves and the pieces just dont fit together.  Taking shots on failed top picks has failed.  None of them have turned out to be anything other than bad contracts.  If you look at those teams at the top they are big but they are also athletic.  They are good because they have elite players and solid role players around them.  Weaver is pretty much Al Avila at this point.