MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

4 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

I would assume so, but wouldn't surprise me either if Conor's meeting him at 145. It would be the perfect set up to challenge Max for the belt (if Conor was to beat Aldo).

Aldo is done imo.  He may very well continue to fight, but it's hard envisioning him being able to compete at an elite level as he once did.  He's 3-4 in his last 7 fights, and yes, those were mostly against elite fighters, but he is not getting any younger.  I don't want to see that fight.

Conor is another enigma right now.  He made 100 million in his fight against Mayweather.  He capitalized on his brand by getting in the whiskey business, which I am guessing is making him a ton of cash.  I don't know where his motivation is coming from in regards to fighting.

I think that at 145, Max punishes Conor.

26 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Aldo is done imo.  He may very well continue to fight, but it's hard envisioning him being able to compete at an elite level as he once did.  He's 3-4 in his last 7 fights, and yes, those were mostly against elite fighters, but he is not getting any younger.  I don't want to see that fight.

I think that's extremely short-sighted. Those four losses are to Conor/Max (two hall of famers) and Volkanovski, who is 20-1 and about to fight for the title. No reason to put a fork in him after a run like this.

Plus, in that time he's soundly beaten 34 year old Frankie Edgar, he put away both Moicano and Stephens in savage fashion, and despite getting stopped both times you could argue he pushed Max as much as anyone has at 145.

I wouldn't take what seemed to be an off night against Volkanovski as him being done.

32 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

I think that's extremely short-sighted. Those four losses are to Conor/Max (two hall of famers) and Volkanovski, who is 20-1 and about to fight for the title. No reason to put a fork in him after a run like this.

Plus, in that time he's soundly beaten 34 year old Frankie Edgar, he put away both Moicano and Stephens in savage fashion, and despite getting stopped both times you could argue he pushed Max as much as anyone has at 145.

I wouldn't take what seemed to be an off night against Volkanovski as him being done.

3-4 is 3-4.  You can call it short-sighted, but, if you wanna praise him in his defeats, you must also scrutinize his wins.  He could easily have lost against Stephens (who is not elite and lost against Magomedshapirov subsequently) and was pushed against the up n coming Moicano ( who lost to the Korean Zombie subsequently)  Are you saying given a 3rd shot, he could beat Max?  I say no.

• Like 1

^the crazy thing I see on Aldo is that he's been in the fight game for such a long time but he's ONLY 32 years old but I agree with @big poppa pump Aldo is done. He's still good enough but to me he's probably nothing more than a Gate Guardian now. Someone who the UFC will put up against a hot talent to see if the hot talent is good enough.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

It might have been an off night but he flat out looked like he didn't want to even be there. Was a very strange performance

10 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

Are you saying given a 3rd shot, he could beat Max?  I say no.

No I'm not, not at all.

But if we're talking him vs Conor again, I think it's a great matchup. Let's not forget if you're going to use this reasoning about Aldo, Conor is 2-2 in his last four fights, including 1-1 against the 19-11 Nate Diaz. Conor and Jose match up quite well for where they are both at right now.

4 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

I don't really think Max dominated the way a 50-45 scorecard would suggest. It was pretty competitive but Max just did a little more each round. Tho I think you could have given Frankie a round or two.

The only round Frankie had a case for was the 1st. That's really it.

34 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

The only round Frankie had a case for was the 1st. That's really it.

I've seen some mma people say 1st, 3rd, and 4th. 

When I watching I wasn't really scoring but the rounds mostly seemed pretty close to me. I think both dudes were pretty good defensively, both were missing a lot, and no one was really hurt. I think Max connected on the least amount of punches he has ever in a 5 round fight and he even connected more in both Aldo fights, which only went 3 rounds. 

I think the 1st and the 4th I would be ok w/ giving Frankie iirc. Whatever round Frankie got the TD (R3?) some people gave to Frankie but iirc I had that one def going to Max.

On 7/30/2019 at 2:09 AM, Buckrock101 said:

I would assume so, but wouldn't surprise me either if Conor's meeting him at 145. It would be the perfect set up to challenge Max for the belt (if Conor was to beat Aldo).

Conor looked like he was on the verge of death the last time he cut to 145 and that was 3.5 years ago. I think there's a better chance that he fights again at 170 before he cuts to 145 again, especially because he's a lot older now. 

FWIW Dana was basically hinting that Conor hasn't taken a fight because he wants to step in if Porier or Khabib pull out.

On 7/30/2019 at 6:42 AM, big poppa pump said:

Conor is another enigma right now.  He made 100 million in his fight against Mayweather.  He capitalized on his brand by getting in the whiskey business, which I am guessing is making him a ton of cash.  I don't know where his motivation is coming from in regards to fighting.

Dana said that Conor is waiting to see what happens with Poirier/Khabib before he takes another fight. I see him pursuing one of the following routes: 

• Poirier pulls out and he steps in to fight Khabib at 242 for the LW belt.

• Khabib pulls out and he steps in to fight Poirier at 242 for the ILW belt. 

• Poirier beats Khabib and then he fights Khabib late this year or early next year.

• Khabib beats Poirier and then he takes a fight later this year to get back into title contention ASAP.

13 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I don't know if any of you guys have watched it or given it a go, but how much longer do you guys give BKFC?

Not much longer. Their biggest event was two of Conor's sparring partners and it will be hard for them to keep putting on high profile cards. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Conor looked like he was on the verge of death the last time he cut to 145 and that was 3.5 years ago. I think there's a better chance that he fights again at 170 before he cuts to 145 again, especially because he's a lot older now. 

FWIW Dana was basically hinting that Conor hasn't taken a fight because he wants to step in if Porier or Khabib pull out.

lots of fighters do. it didn't seem to deplete him much come fight time, and in the weigh ins it's not like he looked miserable about it. he just looked kinda... holocaust-y. Max sorta does too.

• Like 1