All Things Wrestling Thread

steelcurtain29

3 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

The triple threat was pretty much predictable months ago. That match alone would be bigger than any male main event they could have at this point.

wonder what HHH was saying to Rousey on the way to the ring.

A lot of things are predictable - for as much as people love to opine for the days of the AE, a lot of ME's that would end up at Big 4 PPV's were predictable then too (it just means you're actually doing a proper build).  At this point, a Gargano/Ciampa TakeOver main event on Mania weekend is extremely predictable, but that's because they've been building to that for the better part of a year.  I'm not trying to know you or anything, but when people go on and on about wanting storylines that make sense then part and parcel with that is getting some predictable main events and payoffs, it's just how it works.

They don't appear to be ready to flip Ronda all-out heel yet (it's where her future lies - and they'd be wise to take her the Rollins route as the Chosen One of the Authority) so they needed a heel in this match otherwise Ronda gets booed out of the building for two-plus months on sheer virtue of how over Becky is right now as a fan-favorite.  It makes sense to put Charlotte in this.

Also, I actually don't think we see Nia sent over to Smackdown to face Asuka as some are predicting... at least not for Mania.  I think we're probably getting Wrestlemania XXX: The Female Redux.  Becky will work double-duty to earn her way into the Triple Threat Main Event, having to go through Nia at the top of the card the same way Bryan had to go through Triple H to win his way into facing Batista and Orton.  Again, predictable, but if people get the finish they want they really aren't going to care.

19 hours ago, The LBC said:

I actually have no clue.  But I did see people in-the-know speculating a rough over/under of 45 minutes before they sold out on presale alone.  I mean, granted it was a way smaller capacity venue, I tried to get tickets the the second New Japan show in Long Beach last year and it legitimately sold out in under 5 minutes.

You can probably find some resale tickets from resale vendors who purposefully just bought up blocks of tickets figuring they could mark them up following the sellout, but you're probably looking at Coachella or similar music festival prices.

I mean, I was in a waiting room for 40 minutes before it told me it was sold out. Just have no idea why you'd put the entire arena on sale for a presale, or send out a presale code to everyone who signed up essentially. We had 3 presale codes. Just seems like poor logic but whatever, they made their money on it and can't be held responsible for whatever the secondary market does. Just sours me on wrestling and humanity a bit. 

1 minute ago, Troy Brown said:

I mean, I was in a waiting room for 40 minutes before it told me it was sold out. Just have no idea why you'd put the entire arena on sale for a presale, or send out a presale code to everyone who signed up essentially. We had 3 presale codes. Just seems like poor logic but whatever, they made their money on it and can't be held responsible for whatever the secondary market does. Just sours me on wrestling and humanity a bit. 

At the same time, these are the kind of logistics stuffs where I can see AEW having those growing pains because this show, unlike All-In, doesn't have the ROH folks handling a lot of the logistics, production, etc.  These are the sorts of things in running a wrestling promotion that a lot of folks take for granted when thinking, "Well, yeah, I could run an outfit if I wanted to."

Kind of goes back to that line from Jimmy Fallon's character in "Almost Famous" where he talks about not getting charged for the ice under the floorboards of Chicago Stadium and whatnot.

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

At the same time, these are the kind of logistics stuffs where I can see AEW having those growing pains because this show, unlike All-In, doesn't have the ROH folks handling a lot of the logistics, production, etc.  These are the sorts of things in running a wrestling promotion that a lot of folks take for granted when thinking, "Well, yeah, I could run an outfit if I wanted to."

Kind of goes back to that line from Jimmy Fallon's character in "Almost Famous" where he talks about not getting charged for the ice under the floorboards of Chicago Stadium and whatnot.

For sure, it's just a shame that the entire show is essentially on the secondary market for triple whatever the face value was. Good on them for making tickets extremely affordable but the whole thing was such a bummer.

Still, Omega, Rhodes, Bucks, Brandi are 4 smart people. Collectively, you'd think one of them would have stood up and said "Maybe we shouldn't do a presale for the entire show???"

Who knows if that's the case, apparently that's the word from Meltzer, but they seem to be doubling down on the fact there's still tickets left. I'm also probably just going to be a total baby ***** and buy tickets anyway because it's been a long year dammit 

1 minute ago, Troy Brown said:

For sure, it's just a shame that the entire show is essentially on the secondary market for triple whatever the face value was. Good on them for making tickets extremely affordable but the whole thing was such a bummer.

Still, Omega, Rhodes, Bucks, Brandi are 4 smart people. Collectively, you'd think one of them would have stood up and said "Maybe we shouldn't do a presale for the entire show???"

Who knows if that's the case, apparently that's the word from Meltzer, but they seem to be doubling down on the fact there's still tickets left. I'm also probably just going to be a total baby ***** and buy tickets anyway because it's been a long year dammit 

There are a lot of smart people in the wrestling business, but it takes a specific type of smarts (and more often than not experience or mentoring) to learn the logistics.  Those are safeguarded things that allow established people in the industry to keep the mud shows (using my Corny-ism here) from impinging on their venues and markets.

I also get the feeling that Cody knows a good amount about the business that he learned from the boys, but I don't feel like he got a ton of mentoring from his dad (at least not the level to which Dustin got after he broke in) because Dusty the booker and Dusty the trainer were two wholly different entities.  I've talked firsthand with Kevin Sullivan and he said that's why he's always preferred to just freelance himself out as a booking consultant and talent coordinator as opposed to trying to operate a fed of his own (IIRC his exact words were something close to "it's too much of a [expletive] headache," otherwise).

3 minutes ago, The LBC said:

There are a lot of smart people in the wrestling business, but it takes a specific type of smarts (and more often than not experience or mentoring) to learn the logistics.  Those are safeguarded things that allow established people in the industry to keep the mud shows (using my Corny-ism here) from impinging on their venues and markets.

I also get the feeling that Cody knows a good amount about the business that he learned from the boys, but I don't feel like he got a ton of mentoring from his dad (at least not the level to which Dustin got after he broke in) because Dusty the booker and Dusty the trainer were two wholly different entities.  I've talked firsthand with Kevin Sullivan and he said that's why he's always preferred to just freelance himself out as a booking consultant and talent coordinator as opposed to trying to operate a fed of his own (IIRC his exact words were something close to "it's too much of a [expletive] headache," otherwise).

Even then, I think we're absolutely uncharted territory here... the technology/don't think there's ever been a hotter start-up/the legitimate thirst for this product. I can't blame them because just by looking at the prices originally, it certainly seems like they were thinking from a fan perspective. I have to believe the way that Matt Jackson tweeted "I think you'll all be pleased with the prices after we've considered the prices of travel/hotels/etc etc," that they themselves are also disappointed with the outcome even if they are guaranteed what they aimed for. I am imagining they've agreed amongst themselves that it's better to not comment on how this has unfolded with the secondary market being so outrageous. Literally tickets being sold for 5k! They are not to blame and do not deserve to be blamed for it but I would like to imagine that they are feeling some type of bitter sweet

Archived