All Things Wrestling Thread

steelcurtain29

If someone wasn’t getting a lot of attention on the roster, and could get comparable money, why wouldn’t they switch? There’s a good 20 guys who could all find better success if they left for AEW, just because they’re buried on the current roster. 

Now that Shad Khan has been announced as the backer of AEW, I could really see that they have the ability to offer WWE like contracts. I'm also curious if they land a TV deal on a TBS or TNT. they need to be on an easily accessible channel for this to work. POPTV and AXS are on a lot of cable providers lists but no one know them for anything. TBS and TNT are household names with prior wrestling pasts with WCW.

It's going to be interesting to see in the coming months how this develops. Overall if they can get WWE type production value with PG-13 storylines in a normal timeslot on a TBS or TNT, you're going to see a successful product that doesnt need to fully compete on a WWE level or has to.

I've been complaining for years that we need a PG-13 level wrestling program with a 2 hour time limit that only has 4-6 PPVs a year. Hopefully AEW is that answer because WWE hasnt been consistently great since the late 90s to mid 00s IMO.

15 hours ago, pwny said:

If someone wasn’t getting a lot of attention on the roster, and could get comparable money, why wouldn’t they switch? There’s a good 20 guys who could all find better success if they left for AEW, just because they’re buried on the current roster. 

These 2 would do well there. Ryder commented about not being on a Raw all year.

37905883_1812414022128053_50070955725789

18 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

I just don't understand ROH distancing itself from AEW

It's called Sinclair broadcasting.  The own ROH now and with AEW seeking its own network deal, Sinclair isn't going to be all buddy-buddy with a direct competitor.

3 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

Wouldnt alot of the guys who would switch over just be in the same position on AEW? Unless they keep their roster small theres always going to be underused talent wasting away. 

They could, for sure. That’s certainly a risk. But there’s also going to be guys who are able to rise to new heights once given a new opportunity.

Cody wouldn’t have ended up where he is now if he stayed in WWE. Lots of guys have benefitted from defecting to the other brand, whether that be WCW, TNA, NJPW, or hopefully AEW. Some guys don’t, but it’s worth risking - especially if the money is finally the same again. 

A couple of things to note from the AEW Rally:

- Pac has been confirmed as joining AEW. Assume he'll get to continue to work with Dragon Gate too.

- Chris Jericho appeared at the rally.

Two great additions to the roster. 

Honestly pretty disappointed. 48 year old Y2J is the one big name they have. I understand Kenny can't show up yet but without him or Punk being there it felt flat. Now, still lots of time to build up the roster and what not plus WWE guys jumping ship could make it interesting. Going off of what we know right now, it's a big meh for me.

36 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Honestly pretty disappointed. 48 year old Y2J is the one big name they have. I understand Kenny can't show up yet but without him or Punk being there it felt flat. Now, still lots of time to build up the roster and what not plus WWE guys jumping ship could make it interesting. Going off of what we know right now, it's a big meh for me.

Honestly if they did more than what they did, there would be serious reason to question their ability to run the company successfully. This was a rally to go over the direction of the company and plans. There was no reason to make some massive reveal.

CM Punk coming back to wrestling is a PPV (or at least “first ever show”) reveal. If they blew that at a rally, it would show they were in well above their heads when it comes to booking. Even guys like Goldberg are guys you wait to reveal until you need to push the excitement up a level.

5 minutes ago, pwny said:

Honestly if they did more than what they did, there would be serious reason to question their ability to run the company successfully. This was a rally to go over the direction of the company and plans. There was no reason to make some massive reveal.

CM Punk coming back to wrestling is a PPV (or at least “first ever show”) reveal. If they blew that at a rally, it would show they were in well above their heads when it comes to booking. Even guys like Goldberg are guys you wait to reveal until you need to push the excitement up a level.

That's fair. Unless they end up landing multiple big names (Omega, Punk, AJ, etc.) it's going to continue to be meh for me though.

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

That's fair. Unless they end up landing multiple big names (Omega, Punk, AJ, etc.) it's going to continue to be meh for me though.

Depends on what you consider "Big Names" though.
Brian Cage seems like hes interested. Kushida is headed for someplace in America, hopefully there. Lucha Bros (Pentagon Jr, Phoenix) have a bidding war going on for their services between Impact and AEW.

To me. Those are big potential names.

Archived