All Things Wrestling Thread

steelcurtain29

7 hours ago, tom cody said:

No surprise to see Revival ask for their release. I expected a lot more from them than what has been delivered from them. 

well **** how many tag matches have been good in wwe all year? maybe 5? dolph/drew vs ambrose/rollins and whatever new day/uso match you want to pick. they just don't know how to book tags anymore. 

On 1/17/2019 at 11:31 AM, The LBC said:

Maria seems to disagree with that.  Too many newz sites out there.  If it's not coming from Alvarez or Meltzer, or a few other select reporters to know by name, most internet wrestling news is just conjecture at this point.  And it's going to be a popular story to grab a lot of clicks right now to report that any underused WWE midcard talent is "asking for their release."

Reality is, if they think they're going to get a WrestleMania check (and anyone who appears in, at minimum, the Andre BR will get one), guys are going to stick it out through there because AEW doesn't have anything scheduled until Double or Nothing - which is, not-so-obscurely, booked on the safe-side of the no-compete period for the post-Mania let-go's (which is probably the soonest Vince would let them have their releases anyway).

that said, let's say mike and maria head to aew.... it would be an incredible coup, imo. 

7 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I do wonder if Styles will leave as well... If the money is right/same and the schedule is lighter with AEW wouldn't he leave?

The money won't be the same though.  Yes, the Khans are billionaires.  There's no disputing that.  Vince was getting guys $1-3MM payouts from working just the one card in Saudi Arabia - my own personal feelings on working for that royal family aside.

1 hour ago, bcb1213 said:

I think Mike needs the e at the moment with their rehab and wellness program 

apparently according to maria, it's not like he ever took any time off anyway, perhaps at one point he did, but he's seemed to have turned a new leaf from their personal comments. 

6 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

Unless they get the viewers, they're not getting deals close to what wwe wrestlers get.

Do WWE wrestlers still have to play for the flights, rentals, lodging and all else when on the road?

If so. They really wouldnt need a deal but so close to come out ahead.

37 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Do WWE wrestlers still have to play for the flights, rentals, lodging and all else when on the road?

If so. They really wouldnt need a deal but so close to come out ahead.

Yes most wrestlers still have to pay for everything themselves. Some do ge lucky and dont have to. (Lesnar)

Will AEW be in just one city or will they be traveling around the U.S also?

3 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

Yes most wrestlers still have to pay for everything themselves. Some do ge lucky and dont have to. (Lesnar)

Will AEW be in just one city or will they be traveling around the U.S also?

To the last bit, it really depends.  It sounds like, according to the Bucks, that they want to do a house show circuit as well, but I'm not sure how feasible that is unless they do co-branded stuff similar to what The Crash and some of the other larger indy promotions do.  If they don't get someone who has experience in the behind the scenes stuff, like a Jim Ross or Bruce Prichard, they're really in danger of trying to go too fast too soon and ending up putting the cart before the horse.  I think a lot of people take for granted exactly how much of the logistics for All-in were handled for them by ROH's folks.  And for all the crap that Vince (deservedly) gets, he's one of the best in the history of the business and coordinating and delegating what he cannot do himself these bookings - in large part because his father was phenomenal at it.

And I do believe that WWE does cover a lot of the travel expenses (in terms of reimbursements or stipends) and lodging for talent: Rental cars, hotels, gym rates in the towns they're staying in, commercial plane tickets, etc.  It's the trips home that sometimes aren't covered.  And some talent are picky or specific about how they travel or where they stay and in those cases that's usually on their dime or they get credited a certain amount in reimbursement (pretty sure, before he went over to a part-time schedule, Cena was pretty adamant about staying at a Four Seasons or similar tier of hotel).  But there have been "talent hotels" (where the talent were booked to stay unless they made other arrangements) since the Attitude Era, as has been detailed by numerous guys with podcasts from that era (Stone Cold, Bubba Dudley, Taz).

22 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

I think Mike needs the e at the moment with their rehab and wellness program 

Also, and this is in no way meant to be a slight on Mike Bennett, but I'm not sure if I'd call getting him a "huge get."  In terms of what he's capable of doing in the ring?  Sure.  In terms of drawing fans on name recognition?  No way.  Here's a guy that didn't even have the benefit of an NXT run to build semi-mainstream notoriety before being put on the main roster - so he doesn't even have that going for him.  His time in Impact (when they were really struggling for viewership) is very largely forgettable.  So you're basically going back to his ROH days - when they were still in syndication and Sinclair Broadcasting wasn't in near the amount of households that it is now - and his time in The Kingdom (and second-fiddle to Adam Cole) for anything actually memorable... and that's going on 4 years old.

Also, I hate to say it, but Maria's the one calling the shots in that family - and probably the one who WWE is more concerned with holding onto - not only because she's the one with the origin in WWE, but because she actually is capable (and may have already for all we know) of doing A LOT of different jobs behind the scenes (and has experience doing it).  She would be the more valuable get for AEW because of her experience in doing so much and her ability to write and produce.  Plus, if WWE puts her with her own show on the Network or their original YouTube content, similar to stuff like UUDD or that cooking show they've got going, that gives her something to do and earn on while enabling her to stay close to home and their infant daughter.

Archived