All Things Wrestling Thread

steelcurtain29

Cruiserweight Championship -- Buddy Murphy (c) vs. Kalisto vs. Akira Towaza vs. Hideo Itami

- I feel really good about this too, because why the heck is Kenta sticking around if he's not being given some kind of assurances at more PPV checks and what not.  If - and yes, this is probable, but I don't want to automatically assume it's the case - they're doing some booking to give guys they're worried could be poached or could ask for a release post-Mania to go to AEW, it would make sense to finally pull the trigger on Itami.

United States Championship -- Rusev (c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura

- This is on the pre-show, isn't it?  Nakamura's about to go from WWE Championship match one Mania to Andre Battle Royal the next, isn't he?

SmackDown Tag Team Championship -- The Bar (c) vs. The Miz & Shane McMahon

- Evidently, "Shane must have a Mania match" so this is the easiest way to get around it.  I just hope they bring back the Bludgeon Brothers (they've been cleared to return) post-Rumble and let those guys be the ones to walk out of Mania with the titles.

SmackDown Women's Championship -- Asuka (c) vs. Becky Lynch*

- This one really depends on placement in the show for me, but I'm actually pretty confident Asuka wins, I'm just pretty sure it's not a clean win - which sucks because Vince is doing that thing about where he's so focused on building to one particular Mania feud/match that he ends up making one of his other champions look weak as hell on the way to get there.

Raw Women's Championship -- Ronda Rousey (c) vs. Sasha Banks

- The lock of the night.  Ronda's rumored (and it's from Meltzer so there's some legs here) to be wrapping up her full-time stuff after Mania and going to a part-time appearance (probably good because she's gotten overexposed and it hasn't helped her) which means she likely drops the title at Mania.

WWE Championship -- Daniel Bryan (c) vs. AJ Styles

-  This one is tough because I struggle to identify the Mania opponent for either that isn't the other - and they've done this match to death of late so I'm not sure how this carries to anything new come Mania.  They're building up Joe again to look like a legit monster heel, but they did Joe/AJ to death through most of last year (and honestly, I'm really hoping they just continue this build on Joe and slap the MITB case on him).  What other babyface do they have on Smackdown right now to face Bryan if he carries the title into Mania?  Except maybe Orton - who is a babyface again?  I don't know; but he was actually who I had pegged as AJ's opponent.  Because of this, I'm sticking with maintaining the status quo (champion retains) and let them develop on The Road.

Universal Championship -- Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Finn Balor

Some of this is "to be different" (Vince's personal involvement in this may be the only reason I think it could actually happen).  I'm 99% sure we're getting Brock/Braun at Mania, the only question is whether it's for the title or not.  Either way Finn is the "winner" of this match, it's just a matter to me of whether he wins this via DQ and doesn't win the title (i.e. Braun interferes) or he actually wins the title.  If Lesnar wins, it's Braun - not Seth - that's winning the Rumble.  Braun was pulled from this match because they (Vince) didn't want him losing another match to Lesnar.  The question becomes whether that was because the payoff Vince wants is Braun winning the title at Mania or if it was just Braun/Lesnar at Mania with Braun going over.  Even if Finn wins the belt, I don't see him holding it past Mania.

Women's Rumble - Charlotte Flair

Here's the kicker, I think they actually do put Becky in the Rumble... and I think Charlotte eliminates her (if they book it right, they're the last two).  The money is in Becky chasing and scratching and clawing and finally getting the payoff at Mania.  So you need Charlotte ragging on her for a solid month about how "The Man" couldn't get it done when it mattered against "The Woman."  Then Becky snaps a la Austin and goads Charlotte into putting her title shot up against her (maybe career, I don't know; everyone wants and knows the likely main event is a triple threat so going a little predictable and putting Becky's career on the line knowing she's not going to lose; other way to do it would be "Loser Leaves Smackdown" or Becky's "contract/job" is on the line and if she loses, she's "signed" by RAW and the McMahon's book her in a match wherein she wins her way into facing Ronda/Charlotte) and wins.  They could go the Bret/Luger route, but that's really really hard to execute.

Men's Rumble - Seth Rollins

It's one of 3 guys for me: Seth, Braun, or McIntyre; and I've faded Drew heavily of later because I think he's going to end up sliding into the slot that Lars was supposed to get of going against (and over) Cena at Mania - thus setting him up as the ready-made contender for the new babyface champion.  And yes, I realize that predicting this means I'm predicting a Seth/Finn title match at Mania - which makes sense if you think about it.  1) It's like the AJ/Nakamura match (where hopefully they learn their lesson and don't force a needless heel turn again), except they've already matched up before so you can greenlight them to tear the house down.  It gives you your high-profile workhorse match at Mania that's come to be expected.  It's also a match that can be placed under the Womens' Triple Threat because while it is for THE Universal Championship, it doesn't have the level of long-term storyline build that the Womens' match has.  Meanwhile, it also ensures (barring stupid decision-making) that you're getting a babyface champion coming out of Mania.  If this happens, you put Seth over at Mania, after letting them put on a damn show, and then (because we've already established on RAW that championship rematches are not automatic) you move Finn (with him coming off this rebuild) to Smackdown where they're likely to put more emphasis on presenting it more like athletic showcase for the FOX network folks.

Also, calling my shot: Seth shoots the moon and wins from either the #1 or #2 spot.

7 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Also, calling my shot: Seth shoots the moon and wins from either the #1 or #2 spot.

I think he's #2 in, hence why I picked #2 for the pool. I think they  keep #1 a bit more sacred for some reason in terms of person being the first and surviving to the end, even though there's no difference.

17 hours ago, The LBC said:

Cruiserweight Championship -- Buddy Murphy (c) vs. Kalisto vs. Akira Towaza vs. Hideo Itami

- I feel really good about this too, because why the heck is Kenta sticking around if he's not being given some kind of assurances at more PPV checks and what not.  If - and yes, this is probable, but I don't want to automatically assume it's the case - they're doing some booking to give guys they're worried could be poached or could ask for a release post-Mania to go to AEW, it would make sense to finally pull the trigger on Itami.

United States Championship -- Rusev (c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura

- This is on the pre-show, isn't it?  Nakamura's about to go from WWE Championship match one Mania to Andre Battle Royal the next, isn't he?

SmackDown Tag Team Championship -- The Bar (c) vs. The Miz & Shane McMahon

- Evidently, "Shane must have a Mania match" so this is the easiest way to get around it.  I just hope they bring back the Bludgeon Brothers (they've been cleared to return) post-Rumble and let those guys be the ones to walk out of Mania with the titles.

SmackDown Women's Championship -- Asuka (c) vs. Becky Lynch*

- This one really depends on placement in the show for me, but I'm actually pretty confident Asuka wins, I'm just pretty sure it's not a clean win - which sucks because Vince is doing that thing about where he's so focused on building to one particular Mania feud/match that he ends up making one of his other champions look weak as hell on the way to get there.

Raw Women's Championship -- Ronda Rousey (c) vs. Sasha Banks

- The lock of the night.  Ronda's rumored (and it's from Meltzer so there's some legs here) to be wrapping up her full-time stuff after Mania and going to a part-time appearance (probably good because she's gotten overexposed and it hasn't helped her) which means she likely drops the title at Mania.

WWE Championship -- Daniel Bryan (c) vs. AJ Styles

-  This one is tough because I struggle to identify the Mania opponent for either that isn't the other - and they've done this match to death of late so I'm not sure how this carries to anything new come Mania.  They're building up Joe again to look like a legit monster heel, but they did Joe/AJ to death through most of last year (and honestly, I'm really hoping they just continue this build on Joe and slap the MITB case on him).  What other babyface do they have on Smackdown right now to face Bryan if he carries the title into Mania?  Except maybe Orton - who is a babyface again?  I don't know; but he was actually who I had pegged as AJ's opponent.  Because of this, I'm sticking with maintaining the status quo (champion retains) and let them develop on The Road.

Universal Championship -- Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Finn Balor

Some of this is "to be different" (Vince's personal involvement in this may be the only reason I think it could actually happen).  I'm 99% sure we're getting Brock/Braun at Mania, the only question is whether it's for the title or not.  Either way Finn is the "winner" of this match, it's just a matter to me of whether he wins this via DQ and doesn't win the title (i.e. Braun interferes) or he actually wins the title.  If Lesnar wins, it's Braun - not Seth - that's winning the Rumble.  Braun was pulled from this match because they (Vince) didn't want him losing another match to Lesnar.  The question becomes whether that was because the payoff Vince wants is Braun winning the title at Mania or if it was just Braun/Lesnar at Mania with Braun going over.  Even if Finn wins the belt, I don't see him holding it past Mania.

Women's Rumble - Charlotte Flair

Here's the kicker, I think they actually do put Becky in the Rumble... and I think Charlotte eliminates her (if they book it right, they're the last two).  The money is in Becky chasing and scratching and clawing and finally getting the payoff at Mania.  So you need Charlotte ragging on her for a solid month about how "The Man" couldn't get it done when it mattered against "The Woman."  Then Becky snaps a la Austin and goads Charlotte into putting her title shot up against her (maybe career, I don't know; everyone wants and knows the likely main event is a triple threat so going a little predictable and putting Becky's career on the line knowing she's not going to lose; other way to do it would be "Loser Leaves Smackdown" or Becky's "contract/job" is on the line and if she loses, she's "signed" by RAW and the McMahon's book her in a match wherein she wins her way into facing Ronda/Charlotte) and wins.  They could go the Bret/Luger route, but that's really really hard to execute.

Men's Rumble - Seth Rollins

It's one of 3 guys for me: Seth, Braun, or McIntyre; and I've faded Drew heavily of later because I think he's going to end up sliding into the slot that Lars was supposed to get of going against (and over) Cena at Mania - thus setting him up as the ready-made contender for the new babyface champion.  And yes, I realize that predicting this means I'm predicting a Seth/Finn title match at Mania - which makes sense if you think about it.  1) It's like the AJ/Nakamura match (where hopefully they learn their lesson and don't force a needless heel turn again), except they've already matched up before so you can greenlight them to tear the house down.  It gives you your high-profile workhorse match at Mania that's come to be expected.  It's also a match that can be placed under the Womens' Triple Threat because while it is for THE Universal Championship, it doesn't have the level of long-term storyline build that the Womens' match has.  Meanwhile, it also ensures (barring stupid decision-making) that you're getting a babyface champion coming out of Mania.  If this happens, you put Seth over at Mania, after letting them put on a damn show, and then (because we've already established on RAW that championship rematches are not automatic) you move Finn (with him coming off this rebuild) to Smackdown where they're likely to put more emphasis on presenting it more like athletic showcase for the FOX network folks.

I was thinking with Matt Hardy is ready for a ring return, will they set up woken/broke Matt Hardy and brother nero vs Shane and the miz? I don't how it will all work out but on paper I think this would be a good Mania match.

Rumor was Rey was in line for a US title shot at mania? So nakamura winning the belt back this sunday would go in line with this.

I like your Becky/Charlotte idea. Although initially I did wonder if they would go the Bret/Luger route where there's two winners. They both show up on Raw and Ronda tells them both that she'll face them both at mania? 

I agreed with your take on DB/Styles. I really don't know how this one will play out. I actually thought this feud was over after their last match but it isn't. With Vince involved, I do wonder will there a a double turn/another screwjob? I think its unlikely as DB has been killing it as a heel but I do prefer Heel Styles. 

As for the rumble, I agree Seth should be winning. However I thought I heard that the winner can challenger either champion? I know this was the "rule" in year's past but thought it was winner could only challenge their show's champion in recent years? So maybe Seth wins but instead he challenges DB instead? 

29 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

As for the rumble, I agree Seth should be winning. However I thought I heard that the winner can challenger either champion? I know this was the "rule" in year's past but thought it was winner could only challenge their show's champion in recent years? So maybe Seth wins but instead he challenges DB instead? 

With the number of times Charlotte said that she could challenge either champion on the last Smackdown, I'm going with that case. But they really do seem to be setting up Rollins/Lesnar.

I fleshed out my story idea for Adam Cole entering the Rumble and winning it. I would want him to enter at 26-29 range without a ton of guys in there, but enough to keep the ring fairly full. He mainly keeps out of the way, getting an elimination or two. Then as we get down to 29, that's when Drew McIntyre comes in and cleans out three people quickly and you have Drew, Seth, Adam Cole, and Big E. R-Truth comes in at 30, everyone brawls for a minute or two until R-Truth is kicked out, then there's the normal pause where everyone takes stock of everyone else. Everyone starts brawling again, and Seth who has been in since #1 or #2 gets knocked down by Cole. Drew has Big E up against the ropes and Adam Cole comes in and gives them a push from behind sending both of them toppling out. Seth and Adam Cole fight for a little bit before Adam Cole gets hit by Seth's knee finisher and is staggering next to the ropes. Seth goes for a big move to get him out, Adam Cole ducks, pulling the rope down, and Seth goes over the top rope. Adam Cole then challenges Daniel Bryan so we can still get Seth/Lesnar for Mania.

In the Women's Rumble, the IIconics both enter in late, probably Peyton Royce in the early 20's and Billie Kay in the late 20's. They team up and are clearing people out, somewhat. Or mainly just avoiding being cleared out themselves. Do goofy things like them high fiving the person who eliminated someone and then almost getting eliminated themselves. It comes down to it at the end of the match, you have Nia Jax, Charlotte Flair, and Carmella plus the IIconics in the ring. Charlotte and Carmella go after Nia while the IIconics stay back watching. When Nia is finally dumped out, the IIconics run up behind Charlotte and Carmella who are both teetering over the ropes and each of them pushes one of them over. The IIconics then ask for a mic and declare that they are going to take on the winner of the Elimination Chamber match for the Women's Tag Titles at Wrestle Mania and that they are co-winners.

37 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

With the number of times Charlotte said that she could challenge either champion on the last Smackdown, I'm going with that case. But they really do seem to be setting up Rollins/Lesnar.

I fleshed out my story idea for Adam Cole entering the Rumble and winning it. I would want him to enter at 26-29 range without a ton of guys in there, but enough to keep the ring fairly full. He mainly keeps out of the way, getting an elimination or two. Then as we get down to 29, that's when Drew McIntyre comes in and cleans out three people quickly and you have Drew, Seth, Adam Cole, and Big E. R-Truth comes in at 30, everyone brawls for a minute or two until R-Truth is kicked out, then there's the normal pause where everyone takes stock of everyone else. Everyone starts brawling again, and Seth who has been in since #1 or #2 gets knocked down by Cole. Drew has Big E up against the ropes and Adam Cole comes in and gives them a push from behind sending both of them toppling out. Seth and Adam Cole fight for a little bit before Adam Cole gets hit by Seth's knee finisher and is staggering next to the ropes. Seth goes for a big move to get him out, Adam Cole ducks, pulling the rope down, and Seth goes over the top rope. Adam Cole then challenges Daniel Bryan so we can still get Seth/Lesnar for Mania.

In the Women's Rumble, the IIconics both enter in late, probably Peyton Royce in the early 20's and Billie Kay in the late 20's. They team up and are clearing people out, somewhat. Or mainly just avoiding being cleared out themselves. Do goofy things like them high fiving the person who eliminated someone and then almost getting eliminated themselves. It comes down to it at the end of the match, you have Nia Jax, Charlotte Flair, and Carmella plus the IIconics in the ring. Charlotte and Carmella go after Nia while the IIconics stay back watching. When Nia is finally dumped out, the IIconics run up behind Charlotte and Carmella who are both teetering over the ropes and each of them pushes one of them over. The IIconics then ask for a mic and declare that they are going to take on the winner of the Elimination Chamber match for the Women's Tag Titles at Wrestle Mania and that they are co-winners.

I like this Adam Cole idea! come to think of it he isn't on the card for Saturday..................

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I like this Adam Cole idea! come to think of it he isn't on the card for Saturday..................

i think it might be velveteen, i know he's not on the card for saturday

as far as winner picking the champ, yes they get to pick.  Why asuka stood in between charlotte and bliss last year with both holding the belts up before ronda showed up

nakamura called his shot that night if i recal

1 hour ago, Fresh Prince said:

I wouldnt mind having balor lose to Lesnar, then having him when the rumble. Announcing he will be facing Lesnar but this time as the demon.

Putting on paint didnt make Dink not a midget.

Finn is FAR too boring of a personality to be entrusted with the Post-Mania viewership boost. Hes more a "Give it to him during football season to keep his tweener based fans happy while ratings are bad anyway" type of guy.

5 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Putting on paint didnt make Dink not a midget.

Finn is FAR too boring of a personality to be entrusted with the Post-Mania viewership boost. Hes more a "Give it to him during football season to keep his tweener based fans happy while ratings are bad anyway" type of guy.

That's WWEs fault with having him just smile all the time. Heel balor would be great. 

Archived