Official Broncos Forum Draft Thread

AnAngryAmerican

2 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

In the 4thhh??

Read the post again - 3.7 or 3.99.   That's the round to go RB/WR in all likelihood, the Big Board will have RB & WR's galore then.  

If we play the Big Board, it's Goedert/Landry/CB/OL at 2.40.   We will have at least 2 of those RB's at 3.7, and maybe even 3.99.   RB is just that devalued.   

EDIT:  Sure, 4.106 might work too.  At some point, we'll  need to address ILB, but I think 106-113 we can get 1 of the Jewell/Leonard/Jefferson/Griffin tier.  Either way, we can re-evaluate the big board as 3.99 nears, with 99/106/113, we should let the Board work for us.  This is where Elway has failed miserably...2.40 will be  HUGE test to see if he's really going back to overall BPA, Big Board style like he says he's going to do.  Chubb at 1.5 is an encouraging sign.

Elway just needs to sit tight at #40 and go BPA.  There are 3 OL on the board with pro bowl potential.  2 workhorse RBs.  A couple quality WRs and TEs.  A couple quality CBs.  Hell even a terrific pass rusher.  There likely will be a team that makes a pick that throws us off in the next 7 picks as well.

At #40 there will be an impact player.  No need to get cute.  Sit there and take the best guy on the board.  I wouldn’t even complain if it’s Harold Landry.

1 minute ago, germ-x said:

Elway just needs to sit tight at #40 and go BPA.  There are 3 OL on the board with pro bowl potential.  2 workhorse RBs.  A couple quality WRs and TEs.  A couple quality CBs.  Hell even a terrific pass rusher.  There likely will be a team that makes a pick that throws us off in the next 7 picks as well.

At #40 there will be an impact player.  No need to get cute.  Sit there and take the best guy on the board.  I wouldn’t even complain if it’s Harold Landry.

I’m all for BPA as a concept but I think Landry is probably overkill. Even with the Chubb pick I’m thinking one of Barrett and Ray probably get traded now and if Landry came in we probably trade both. 

20 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Elway better not botch another second round pick 

The Chubb pick shows he is going to go BPA. Or let's hope. Pass rusher/DE was not a huge, immediately pressing need for us, at least not to the same level as some other positions. Von, Shaq, Ray, Wolfe, Gotsis, Walker, we're okay on the outside of the front seven. We're at least as good there as we are at QB (does anyone here really think Case is a franchise QB?). But what did Elway do, he trusted the board he and his staff put together (didn't like Rosen or Allen, didn't like the trade down options) and thus took an elite talent at a position Elway has said time and again he deems critical. 

Let's just hope the same holds true tomorrow and Saturday. Elway treated the first round of this draft like it was 2011, not 2016, and we should pray that continues. 

4 minutes ago, germ-x said:

The  Big Board has to factor in - I'll argue that we should pass at RB, given the depth that's there.   Rd3 John Kelly I would do cartwheels.   WR is less certain, but I'll hitch my wagon to Anthony Miller/Gallup.  Let Kubiak get one Ram if Miller goes, lol.

2 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I’m all for BPA as a concept but I think Landry is probably overkill. Even with the Chubb pick I’m thinking one of Barrett and Ray probably get traded now and if Landry came in we probably trade both. 

If Landry is as good as we think he might be, we can deal Ray/Barrett and worry about the rest.

I don't think we should trade up for him - I would be SHOCKED if Landry was still there at 2.40.   I would have taken him ahead of Davenport, TBH.

1 minute ago, paul-mac said:

What's rays trade value id be intrigued if we could get a second and go geseki late from pennstate.

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Read the post again - 3.7 or 3.99.   That's the round to go RB/WR in all likelihood, the Big Board will have RB & WR's galore then.  

If we play the Big Board, it's Goedert/Landry/CB/OL at 2.40.   We will have at least 2 of those RB's at 3.7, and maybe even 3.99.   RB is just that devalued.   

EDIT:  Sure, 4.106 might work too.  At some point, we'll  need to address ILB, but I think 106-113 we can get 1 of the Jewell/Leonard/Jefferson/Griffin tier.  Either way, we can re-evaluate the big board as 3.99 nears, with 99/106/113, we should let the Board work for us.  This is where Elway has failed miserably...2.40 will be  HUGE test to see if he's really going back to overall BPA, Big Board style like he says he's going to do.  Chubb at 1.5 is an encouraging sign.

I can dig this. 

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

What's rays trade value id be intrigued if we could get a second and go geseki late from pennstate.

Ray has very little trade value now.   He'll have more in the offseason if he rehabilitates his image.  I think he'll bounce back nicely from injury.   

When I say deal Ray/Landry - I'm talking before the season, or in-season, or next offseason (for Ray).   Doubtful we get anything now that we'd fall in love with.   Teams are SO invested in getting their flavor of the week rookie.

Is it just me or does Lamar Jackson come across as an almost moron?

The guy is an incredible athletic talent and by all means seems like a great guy but to seem that ... oafish, I guess, in an interview when you've been in the major spotlight before (Heisman winner, etc.) how can you present yourself that poorly? It's the draft and Deion Sanders is interviewing you, it's not election night sitting across the table from Tim Russert. 

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Barrett has more value in my opinion. He’s cheaper and is, at very worst, and equal player, but I think he’s actually better than Shane Ray. I would value Shaq at a second round pick and Shane Ray at a fourth rounder. 

9 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Is it just me or does Lamar Jackson come across as an almost moron?

The guy is an incredible athletic talent and by all means seems like a great guy but to seem that ... oafish, I guess, in an interview when you've been in the major spotlight before (Heisman winner, etc.) how can you present yourself that poorly? It's the draft and Deion Sanders is interviewing you, it's not election night sitting across the table from Tim Russert. 

I'm going to give him a MAJOR pass here.  Why?  Because....he made the unwise decision to let his mother be his agent.   

Agents for meh talent rookies make little difference - but an agent for a potential first rounder makes a HUGE difference.   Arranging visits, talking with GM's, staying in touch.  Instead, Jackson refused to book meetings, workouts, didn't run at the Combine, and his mom was hard to reach, by all GM accounts.   It's exactly how you DON'T prepare for a draft.   So, it comes as no shock he wasn't prepped for tonight.  

Hiring his mom probably cost him at least 8-10 spots on the board.  He's lucky BAL moved up for him - it was less about him than it was about that 5th year option being so affordable if he's even just an average QB. 

It was unwise to let his mom be his agent - but that also explains the complete lack of polish tonight. I give him a full pass there.

3 minutes ago, Counselor said:

If we take Rudolph at 40 >:(

It would undo everything Elway's set us up for.  I would lose all my good mojo in a heartbeat.

FWIW, I think QB's will fall hard now.   Might not see Rudolph go until the 50's in Rd2.    There is just so much value there now.   Some teams are going to wake up and be sick about what's left on the board.   The beauty is we don't really need to make a push to move up - just sit there at 2.40, and go BPA.  Hernandez/Williams or Daniels.   Goedert.   Landry will go before us (EDGE is that valued, and I think he's better than Davenport).   Oliver or Jackson at CB.

Other than Darnold falling to us, this couldn't have gone any better for us IMO so far.  Just don't screw it up with a reach/mancrush pick, Elway.  And skill position is NOT where the value is at - be patient, wait for Rd3, then take advantage.

RE: QB, if the value is this good, I'm fine with waiting until Day 3 to take another shot at QB.     We need to add difference-making talent to our roster across the board.  The way the picks are flying, we could get 3-4 Year 1 starters.   Just...don't reach for a specific guy Elway (No Chark, no Chark, no Chark).

Archived