2018 Draft Day(s) Thread

NewAge

6 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Good post, I agree, with everything you posted. Next years FA period & draft are all about getting first class players for Darnold.  No more projects we have enough of them on the roster now.

Sign Fowler or a pass rusher in FA then load up on skill positions in the draft.

Outside edge we should be done spending any quality picks on defense for awhile. Focus for the next several years should be to add talent around Darnold along the OL as well as give him some weapons. We have money to spend next off season but not a lot of skill position talent is expected to be available. Diggs might be the only WR that could hit the market.

40 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Outside edge we should be done spending any quality picks on defense for awhile. Focus for the next several years should be to add talent around Darnold along the OL as well as give him some weapons. We have money to spend next off season but not a lot of skill position talent is expected to be available. Diggs might be the only WR that could hit the market.

This is like us to keep adding vets at WR unless Anderson and Q come up big this year. Next year should be completely focused on building up the OL

10 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

This is like us to keep adding vets at WR unless Anderson and Q come up big this year. Next year should be completely focused on building up the OL

Yeah Doc,that O line is not far down the list to be fixed with younger players. Shell is the only young player on the line

How could Shell & Winters, be the same age. They both are 26 years old. Shell has only been in the league two years, Winters 5 years. I got to check these ages with another roster site. But Maye has only been in the league 1 year and he is 25 already.

Draft grade from PFF   https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-all-32-nfl-teams-2018-nfl-draft-grades

NYJ-Jets-Header.png

IMG_28042018_161345_0.png

1 (3) Sam Darnold, QB, USC, 83.6
3 (72) Nathan Shepherd, DI, Fort Hays State, n/a
4 (107) Christopher Herndon IV, TE, Miami (Fla.), 81.8
6 (179) Parry Nickerson, CB, Tulane, 85.1
6 (180) Folorunso Fatukasi, Edge, Connecticut, 83.2
6 (204) Trenton Cannon, RB, Virginia State, n/a

Day 1: The Jets should be ecstatic that Darnold was still on the board at No. 3 overall. Our No. 2 player on the PFF Draft Board, Darnold has shown exceptional high-end play, throwing with the accuracy and anticipation desired from an NFL quarterback. He has two strong years of grading under his belt, and while last year was not as good as anticipated, Darnold was still the No. 3-graded quarterback in the nation outside of his four poor games. He must cut back on the bad decisions and fumbles that marred that four-game stretch, as he finished with the fifth-highest percentage of turnover-worthy plays in the draft class last season, but it’s the big-time throws that make him a potentially special prospect as he ranked second. Darnold has shown well in crunch time, whether at the end of the half or with the game on the line, and his ability to make plays both inside and outside the pocket will lead to memorable moments for Jets fans.

Day 2: With only a third-round selection on Day 2, the Jets add athletic defensive lineman Nathan Shepherd to the mix, a small-school player who looked strong during his limited reps at the Senior Bowl. He has outstanding size and athleticism, and he could develop into a good all-around player given his measurables.

Day 3: Christopher Herndon showed strong big-play ability last season, forcing nine missed tackles on only 40 receptions and averaging 9.3 yards after the catch per reception. Parry Nickerson could become a steal in the sixth round as he has three outstanding years of production to go with 4.32 speed. He allowed a passer rating of only 41.7 in 2017 and 32.5 when targeted in 2016. Folorunso Fatukasi is an outstanding run defender, grading between 82.8 and 86.1 in all four years at UConn, though he provided little as a pass-rusher, including a 3.1 pass-rush productivity last year that ranked 131st in the draft class.

Overall grade: Elite

Think this is the 1st time they ever liked one of our drafts

The draft isn't what we wanted, but the prospects are interesting. Parry & Shepherd look like hits. Our sexy secondary doesn't mean anything if teams can beat us by running the ball. Fatukasi was a need, so I'm not going to doubt him already. I have to do more research on Cannon and Herndon. Cannon need to add about 20lbs but his 10 yard speed clocked in at 1.49. That's crazy knowing that Parry ended with 1.50 after running a 4.32. 

I’m gonna guess or week 1 Depth chart is gonna be

QB: McCown, Darnold, Teddy

RB: Powell/Crowell, McGuire, Cannon

FB: Flowers

WR: Q, Anderson, Kearse, Pryor, Hansen, Stewart

TE: Tomlinson, Legget, Herndon

LT: Beachum, Ijalana

LG: Carp, Swanson

C: Long, Harrison

RG: Winters, Doizer

RT: Shell, Qvale

DE: Leo, Foley

NT: Pennel, McLendon

DT: Anderson, Shepherd

SAM: Jenkins, Donahue

MIKE: Williamson, Hewitt

WILL: Lee, KPL

RUSH Martin, Mauldin

CB: Tru, Mo, Buster, Roberts, Nickerson, Jones or Clark

FS: Maye, Brooks

SS: Adams, Miles

K: Santos

P: Edwards

RS: Cannon/Nickerson

3 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

The draft isn't what we wanted, but the prospects are interesting. Parry & Shepherd look like hits. Our sexy secondary doesn't mean anything if teams can beat us by running the ball. Fatukasi was a need, so I'm not going to doubt him already. I have to do more research on Cannon and Herndon. Cannon need to add about 20lbs but his 10 yard speed clocked in at 1.49. That's crazy knowing that Parry ended with 1.50 after running a 4.32. 

Herndon is nice probably our most complete TE tbh even though he’s raw as a route runner he’s a good Blocker and can move around the formation

4 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Herndon is nice probably our most complete TE tbh even though he’s raw as a route runner he’s a good Blocker and can move around the formation

I hope so, I did like what I see when he has the ball in his hand. I liked what we had, but hopefully he can be the man. Having someone in short range for Darnold can be huge. We have the WR's, but no one that he can really dump the ball off to. 

The battles at TE, CB, and WR are interesting this summer. 

9 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Listening to various podcast and most are ranking our draft class high. Lots of praise being thrown our way.

I really think it’s only bc of Darnold though.

Chris Simms is the only guy I’ve heard not really really like the pick.

Archived