2018 Draft Day(s) Thread

NewAge

27 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

Maudlin is a lost cause guys.

I think that’s a bit harsh. Fact is he’s probably our best pass rusher from an edge spot since we didn’t address the position in FA or the draft. So he will get opportunities. I do remember in his 2nd year he looked to start grasping things and then got hurt last season. We will see what he can offer. If we can get 5-10 sacks out of him I’ll be happy.

49 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I agree guys have to step up but it takes reps and opportunity. The inconsistency has been in both the players and their playing time because we’ve been bet heavy. 

Lee, Mauldin can both be good players at Will and Rush. They’ve shown flashes now it’s time to put it together. 

And I think Revis in 2011.

Yeah I’m hopeful this year will be a good year for a lot of the younger guys. You imagine with a franchise qb in place and a huge cash haul for next years FA we will be active so it’s up to the young guys to make sure we don’t target their position and instead step up as good starters this year. 

2011..Wow it’s been a long time. Hopefully that will change real soon.

22 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think that’s being very generous to him. I think he might just be one of those guys that looked good in college but doesn’t at the next level. Trust me I hope he becomes our athletic LB that we all want. But he shows no consistency and his instincts are a step behind. He’s had 2 of the best leaders we’ve ever had at ILB to teach him in Harris and Davis, if he couldn’t learn with their help he won’t with anyone’s imo.

I mean it’s just the truth. At tOSU that’s how he played. Down hill and fast to the ball. Here he’s got more responsibility and that’s new to a guy who is entering just his his 5th year as a LB and really his 3rd year playing it this way. 

There were times he was late on a play and he’d speak on how if he was just a step closer pre-Snap he makes the right play. That’s little stuff that hurts the team but it’s understandable. 

Maybe he won’t figure it out completely but I’m just the type to look at why things are going well rather than “He sucks” “He’s no good”

Agreed with above. I don’t think he will ever have elite instincts but I believe he can develop good enough instincts. I mentioned it earlier but he was absolutely lost in rookie season. If you go back to last season he was someone who was just a tick late or a foot off. If he is able to make another jump this season I think he takes a major step forward. Only time will tell.

As far as Mauldin goes, he just can’t stay healthy. Sure he flashed a little but he lacks the athleticism to be a difference maker. He’s going to get cut sooner then later. He’s a mediocre pass rusher who’s useless in base.

Accordingly to the way the draft went I can't help but think if the Jets stayed at #6 the Jets could of had Josh Rosen at 6.   With the two second round picks the Jets had Harold Landry available and then Derrius Guice later on in the draft.  Well its all water under the bridge.   The Jets came away with their Franchise QB regardless.  Overall I like the players drafted.   This is going to be a fun year for the Jets.

8 minutes ago, famousj said:

Accordingly to the way the draft went I can't help but think if the Jets stayed at #6 the Jets could of had Josh Rosen at 6.   With the two second round picks the Jets had Harold Landry available and then Derrius Guice later on in the draft.  Well its all water under the bridge.   The Jets came away with their Franchise QB regardless.  Overall I like the players drafted.   This is going to be a fun year for the Jets.

Can't do this hindsite thing.  If we didn't trade up to 3 the Bills would have, they were already trying too.  They probably still would have taken Allen because they are dumb and had been linked to him forever.  During the draft the Bronco's tried to trade up to #2 once Darnold fell there but the Giants weren't interested.  If Darnold fell to 4 I think the Bronco's would have traded up to 4 to block us from moving there and the Browns would take that since they know it is only moving back 1 spot and not losing a player they would be taking.  Then Rosen is there at 5 and the Cards know they have to come up ahead of us.  It would be a bidding war to move to 5, and while we might win it we would still end up trading away picks to get a guy who is a lesser player imo.

6 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Can't do this hindsite thing.  If we didn't trade up to 3 the Bills would have, they were already trying too.  They probably still would have taken Allen because they are dumb and had been linked to him forever.  During the draft the Bronco's tried to trade up to #2 once Darnold fell there but the Giants weren't interested.  If Darnold fell to 4 I think the Bronco's would have traded up to 4 to block us from moving there and the Browns would take that since they know it is only moving back 1 spot and not losing a player they would be taking.  Then Rosen is there at 5 and the Cards know they have to come up ahead of us.  It would be a bidding war to move to 5, and while we might win it we would still end up trading away picks to get a guy who is a lesser player imo.

Cards didn't have ammo to move into top 5 from 15, Bills did but refused to give up both 1st Round Picks.

If we stay at 6 we get Rosen + our 2nd rounders but ultimately I'm happy with knowing we got our #1 QB with huge upside. But yeah we could have stayed at 6 and watched the board fall in our favor.

37 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Cards didn't have ammo to move into top 5 from 15, Bills did but refused to give up both 1st Round Picks.

If we stay at 6 we get Rosen + our 2nd rounders but ultimately I'm happy with knowing we got our #1 QB with huge upside. But yeah we could have stayed at 6 and watched the board fall in our favor.

We also couldn't have known for sure that the Giants would pass on Darnold.  At that point only 1 team needs to make it ahead of us to pick Rosen then we are left with Allen which is a nightmare.  Honestly I barely believed that the Giants would pass on Darnold at #2, I was shocked when they called Barkley's name.  Every trade in a draft can be picked apart, but I think this trade to 3 was huge.  

24 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

We also couldn't have known for sure that the Giants would pass on Darnold.  At that point only 1 team needs to make it ahead of us to pick Rosen then we are left with Allen which is a nightmare.  Honestly I barely believed that the Giants would pass on Darnold at #2, I was shocked when they called Barkley's name.  Every trade in a draft can be picked apart, but I think this trade to 3 was huge.  

We're basing the hindsight off of what happened though. Giants passed on Darnold, Browns stayed at 4, Broncos would probably have taken Darnold IMO since Indy would have taken Chubb. But I agree, hindsight or no hindsight the trade to 3 was huge and the right move. I would do it 10/10 times.

11 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

Can't second guess the trade.  It was a great move by Macc knowing we would either get Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield.  Brilliant and we still have our 1st next year..... WOW

Thats the great part, having next year's 1st at our disposal to either move back and accumulate some picks or take a top tier EDGE or OL.

Showed well against the run?? I must have watched a different guy because he got washed out about every snap.  He's one of those guys who jumps on the pile late and celebrates like he made the play.

I've hated Lee for the Jets since before he was drafted.  Such a bad fit.  Has nothing to do with him being All-Pro or not.  

1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

We're basing the hindsight off of what happened though. Giants passed on Darnold, Browns stayed at 4, Broncos would probably have taken Darnold IMO since Indy would have taken Chubb. But I agree, hindsight or no hindsight the trade to 3 was huge and the right move. I would do it 10/10 times.

It was rumored during the draft that the Broncos were trying to move to number 2 after Mayfield went first. No doubt the Broncos would have taking Darnold. Also, we can't assume Allen was number 1 on Bills board. They could have had Darnold at the top and Allen number 2. Giving how the draft went we possibly could have had Rosen at 6. But we don't know how much Arizona would have paid to get to number 5. They could have sold the house. Who knows? The Broncos, like the Giants, weren't moving once Chubb fell to them. So, there's a strong possibility Rosen would have been there. But we don't know how the Jets had Allen and Rosen ranked. We could be talking about drafting Allen at 6 for all we know.

We all have house insurance/car insurance/health insurance etc. We have it not because we want to make a claim but for the peace of mind and to protect ourselves.

That’s what we did with this trade. We got in a position to guarantee a top 3 qb (peace of mind) and to stop one or possible two teams trading in front of us to snag those QBs (protecting ourselves).

It was a genius move up in my opinion. The rest of the draft I wasn’t over thrilled by. But the draftingvof Darnold will change this franchise as long as we put the pieces around him to succeed. 

Archived