Eagles Draft Thread - When you're here, you're Champions! ™

Kiltman

17 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

They might be on the roster, but they probably won't be playing much outside the preseason

Probably not. I mean its not like Maddox played a ton in the slot in college and we can expect him to man that spot.

Sweat is on the roster that is deepest in the league at EDGE, so him not playing a ton his rookie year isn't really a knock. He'll still see snaps since we like to rotate though.

17 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I understand the hope with Sweat and Maddox, because they are super athletic, but I doubt they manage to transcend bench status

It's more than just athleticism. Sweat is a good run defender and can easily transcend bench status.

He would've been taken higher than Goedert if not for that knee injury in HS. He's been getting more comfortable with his knee and if he's put in a scheme which utilizes his athletic traits more than Florida State did which will be the case in Schwartz's defense, then the dude can wreck some havoc.

And, who cares if the rugby guy pans out? He's a lottery ticket. You don't expect him to.

Edit: If you're talking about transcending bench status as a rookie than I guess I could agree, but if you're talking for Sweat's career, then I definitely disagree.

You can't expect a ton out of our 2nd smallest draft class in Eagles history, especially when we had no day 1 selection and 4 of the 5 players were selected on day 3 including one which has never played football a day in his life. If Goedert turns into a really good TE and Sweat turns into a good DE opposite Barnett, then this is a successful draft class for the amount of picks we had. Then, the other guys contributing is icing, especially Mailata (rugby guy) lol.

21 minutes ago, Phire said:

I think this scouting department deserves the benefit of doubt.

meh they have been in place for only two years now. All their picks have to prove it still and they did draft donnel pumphrey. 

45 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

meh they have been in place for only two years now. All their picks have to prove it still and they did draft donnel pumphrey. 

Got a ring, don't care.

1 hour ago, Phire said:

I think this scouting department deserves the benefit of doubt.

Because they are good at trading for other teams good players? 

Howie hits on top 10 picks, I'll give him that.  Outside of the top 10 in the first round, not so much. Recent history is better than reid/chip days,  but let's not pretend free agents and trades weren't 75 percent of this sb trophy. The other 25 was guys we drafted in the top 10, plus kelce.

3 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Because they are good at trading for other teams good players? 

Howie hits on top 10 picks, I'll give him that.  Outside of the top 10 in the first round, not so much. 

howie took over in 2012 right? 

So he has taken Cox, johnson, marcus smith, carson wentz and derek barnett.

4 out of 5 aint bad with 3 being all pros 

5 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

howie took over in 2012 right? 

So he has taken Cox, johnson, marcus smith, carson wentz and derek barnett.

4 out of 5 aint bad with 3 being all pros 

Yea we do great with top 10/15 picks. It's the ones taken pick 20ish and later that concern me.

4 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

well howie himself usually admits there are only like 20 guys worth taking in the first any given year 

And that's nifty, I'm just saying our udfas tend to end up as good or better than guys Howie has drafted in rounds 2-7. 

Just now, Jeezla said:

And that's nifty, I'm just saying our udfas tend to end upas good or better than guys Howie has drafted in rounds 2-7

well we also get more udfas every year then drafted guys it's s numbers game.

2 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

well we also get more udfas every year then drafted guys it's s numbers game.

I want stud mid round picks. Guys like Parry Nickerson or DJ Reed or Dane Cruikshank instead of Maddox. Kalen Ballage or Micah Kiser or Andrew Brown or Siran Neal or Daurice Fountain instead of Sweat. Desmond Harrison instead of a rugby player. Equanimeous or Ade Aruna instead of Matt Pryor. 

Just now, Jeezla said:

I want stud mid round picks. Guys like Parry Nickerson or DJ Reed or Dane Cruikshank instead of Maddox. Kalen Ballage or Micah Kiser or Andrew Brown or Siran Neal or Daurice Fountain instead of Sweat. Desmond Harrison instead of a rugby player. Equanimeous or Ade Aruna instead of Matt Pryor. 

sweat was probably the best value pick in the entire draft. you are just hard to please. 

Archived