2018 NFL DRAFT DISCUSSION

Thaiphoon

4 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Just a great pick and amazing draft. @CharleyCasserly called the Redskins draft his favorite of the draft!

This is so awesome. It’s so much fun to have young talented defensive players again to root for rather an older vets who are slow or players that are back up quality that are forced to have key roles for our D.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Just a great pick and amazing draft. @CharleyCasserly called the Redskins draft his favorite of the draft!

This is so awesome. It’s so much fun to have young talented defensive players again to root for rather an older vets who are slow or players that are back up quality that are forced to have key roles for our D.

Yeah.  DJ loves it too.

18 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

I think he played at a higher weight.  Probably lost weight after the injuries.  His player comp is actually Martell Spaight, who weirdly led the league in run stop % last year.

Really, I didn’t know that. Spaight does fly around a lot but he doesn’t always fly around in the right gaps. Hopefully these two can develop into our future at the ILB position.

I know @footy_29 likes Spaight a lot and I trust his judgement on the evaluation of players as much as anyone.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Really, I didn’t know that. Spaight does fly around a lot but he doesn’t always fly around in the right gaps. Hopefully these two can develop into our future at the ILB position.

I know @footy_29 likes Spaight a lot and I trust his judgement on the evaluation of players as much as anyone.

Yup.

5 minutes ago, Woz said:

Wasn't expecting a day three guy as an immediate starter (especially after they went for Apke at 109), but the Redskins are hurting for viable depth on the offensive line. The guys they are either only signed through this year or former UDFAs/futures picks who are iffy to make the roster at all even this year. Maybe they get some value out of the collection of Orlando Franklin, Tony Bergstrom, Demetrius Rhaney, Kyle Kalis, Tyler Catalina, and Arie Kouandjio, but that feels like walking on thin ice.

I don’t think Orlando Franklin is an “iffy” player, just my opinion from what he was for most of his career. 

I could totally see him winning the starting LG position over Nsekhe and Kouandjio. Franklin has too talent - has played both RT & OG in his career - and is an extremely strong and experienced guard.

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

Wasn't expecting a day three guy as an immediate starter (especially after they went for Apke at 109), but the Redskins are hurting for viable depth on the offensive line. The guys they are either only signed through this year or former UDFAs/futures picks who are iffy to make the roster at all even this year. Maybe they get some value out of the collection of Orlando Franklin, Tony Bergstrom, Demetrius Rhaney, Kyle Kalis, Tyler Catalina, and Arie Kouandjio, but that feels like walking on thin ice.

Very thin ice, no doubt. I see nothing there that I’m comfortable with, although I actually don’t hate Catalina (and maybe Bergstrom) as guy to keep developing as a versatile backup.  

Really hoping they’ve got a plan for that spot. Crossing fingers for Nsekhe is all well and good, but they really need at least a veteran “safety net” guy in the event that the Nsekhe thing doesn’t work out. 

2 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Yup.

Nice, thanks man. No wonder @footy_29 likes him so much. I’ve always liked Spaight’s potential but it always seemed when he got his shot to start and take that starting position over and hold on to it, that he never could do it. 

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

Very thin ice, no doubt. I see nothing there that I’m comfortable with, although I actually don’t hate Catalina (and maybe Bergstrom) as guy to keep developing as a versatile backup.  

Really hoping they’ve got a plan for that spot. Crossing fingers for Nsekhe is all well and good, but they really need at least a veteran “safety net” guy in the event that the Nsekhe thing doesn’t work out. 

You don’t like Orlando Franklin as a stop gap?

Just now, turtle28 said:

Nice, thanks man. No wonder @footy_29 likes him so much. I’ve always liked Spaight’s potential but it always seemed when he got his shot to start and take that starting position over and hold on to it, that he never could do it. 

Yeah, that Panthers game from a couple years ago just sticks in my head when it comes to him.  To be fair, I think it was his first ever start in the NFL, but man, he was abused all game.  Cam and J. Stewart just went after him over and over and over.  I'm sure he's greatly improved since then though, I just haven't really noticed it.

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t think Orlando Franklin is an “iffy” player, just my opinion from what he was for most of his career. 

I could totally see him winning the starting LG position over Nsekhe and Kouandjio. Franklin has too talent - has played both RT & OG in his career - and is an extremely strong and experienced guard.

Yes, but he's only here for a year.

2 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Yeah, that Panthers game from a couple years ago just sticks in my head when it comes to him.  To be fair, I think it was his first ever start in the NFL, but man, he was abused all game.  Cam and J. Stewart just went after him over and over and over.  I'm sure he's greatly improved since then though, I just haven't really noticed it.

Well in fairness to Spaight, our DL has leaked like a sieve since before we drafted him. He wasn’t great last year vs the Chiefs either, but that may have been more coverage mistakes rather than run game mistakes if I remember correctly.

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Yes, but he's only here for a year.

That’s true, I have to believe though that if he wins the starting job that they’ll do what they did with Foster and Hood in previous years and sign him to a 2 year deal to keep him around as a stop gap until we find our long term starter.

4 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Weathersby, Welsh, McFadden, Scarborough, Tolliver. Auden Tate. The WR from Indiana. Ton of talent left

side note. Had a feeling Berrios would end up in New England. Good for the kid

Simone Cobbs is still available? I want that dude. He has to be the pick! 

Of course so McFadden would be a grey choice at this point and Auden Tate too. A big WR for the redzone is always a need.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Simone Cobbs is still available? I want that dude. He has to be the pick! 

Of course so McFadden would be a grey choice at this point and Auden Tate too. A big WR for the redzone is always a need.

Tate would give Doctson a kick in the rear too. Cobbs is no monster  but he works hard and runs decent routes. McFadden is a corner from Florida State so he has to be good. 

Archived