2018 NFL DRAFT DISCUSSION

Thaiphoon

We’ve really added a lot of talent. You never know if these guys will hit, but I have to say I’m impressed with how the FO navigated through this draft. 

Can’t remember a time where I’ve been this excited for a rookie class. 

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Still better than the alternative imo. The alternative was probably having very little hope of even having a winning record.

Imo all they’ve done is improved from 6-10 to a 9-7 ceiling with one and done in the playoffs.

9 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I mean that’s essentially where we’ve been at for 3 years.

I like this draft, but we didn’t do much in free agency and I feel like we took a step back at the QB position.

Talentwise maybe. Leadership and Clutchwise I definitely think we are better at the QB position. I trust Alex a lot more than I did Kirk to win the big games and to lead game winning drives.

I can't count how many times, when the game was on the line, that I knew Kirk wasn't going to get the job done.

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Imo all they’ve done is improved from 6-10 to a 9-7 ceiling with one and done in the playoffs.

How do you become worse than you were last year before the season even starts?

We start the season with a blank slate, everyone is 0-0 or in reality we were 7-9 last season, we start off as a 7-9 team, not a 6-10 team.

Youre probably right in that we are going to still be around .500 or slightly above again. This is where most teams are though, I don’t think it’s a bad thing - the biggest keys are if our running game and defense are improved and it appears they should be. If our defense and running game are improved it gives us a chance to win closer games that we used to lose because everyone knew we’d be passing the ball in the redzone and we couldn’t stop anyone from scoring - particularly in the 4th quarter.

It also doesn’t bother me if we are backing into the playoffs again because as I’ve said for two years straight, our team is young and developing - except at QB and a handful of other positions out of 22.

Lets look at the ages of our projected starters when the season starts:

Alex Smith: 34

Darrius Guice: 21

Paul Richardson: 26

Josh Doctson: 25

Jamison Crowder: 25

Jordan Reed: 28

Trent Williams: 30

Ty Nsekhe: 32

Chase Roullier: 25

Brandon Scherff: 26

Morgan Moses: 27

Preston Smith: 25

Jon Allen: 23

Da’Ron Payne: 21

Matt Ioannidis: 24

Ryan Kerrigan: 30

Mason Foster: 29

Zach Brown: 28

Josh Norman: 30

Quinton Dunbar: 26

Orlando Scandrick: 31

DJ Swearinger: 27

Montae Nicholson: 22

If you can run the football and stop the run you always put yourself in a position to win games. Just ask the Jaguars.

Dont know what our record is going to look like at the end but I'll guarantee you see a more physical football team this year and that's a step in the right direction.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

This team is completely different with Guice and Thompson in the backfield. Guice is a game changer. I actually think this team has a solid chance at 10 wins now and I’m about as negative as it gets. 

I agree with the last sentence ? Bout time you turn that frown upside down ?

Archived