2018 NFL DRAFT DISCUSSION

Thaiphoon

To be honest, pretty much every team has around a dozen questions (injury concerns, position changes, coaching changes, etc.).

I think when it comes to actual "holes" on the roster, we really only have two concerning ones: LG and nickel CB.  Every other spot has either established starters, or talented players waiting in the wings to fill those roles.  That's pretty much right in line with the rest of the league.  Go to the Vikings forum and read their OL thread, for example.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Why? He’ll be a free agent next March. Then, we can decide if we want to keep PSmith or sign Ray. They signed McPhee and want to see what they have in Anderson.

If the Redskins trade for him today or tomorrow, they can execute his 5th year option. At that point, he won't be a free agent in March. Granted, they would be on the hook for about $9M in 2019 for the privilege, but at least he'd be under contract.

Ray isn’t a good player. 

Take PFF with a grain of salt all you want, but they usually aren’t drastically off on how a player performed over the course of a full season. 

Ray graded out as the 97th best Edge player. 

For reference Preston and McPhee graded out as #51 and #41, respectively. 

30 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Ray isn’t a good player. 

Take PFF with a grain of salt all you want, but they usually aren’t drastically off on how a player performed over the course of a full season. 

Where was Kerrigan?  Just curious.

Yes, we have question marks but I think it’s a bit overblown when people act like we don’t have possible solutions at those spots.  For me if we don’t have a proven answer yet it’s a question mark but that’s  different to me in saying it’s a question  and asking like the sky is falling because we don’t have a guy who’s been a starter at a position for years. 

1. Starting RB - yes we drafted Guice but he hasn’t played a lick so that’s a question until it’s answered.

2. LG - obviously as I’ve said for months, we have guys who may be able to do the job but no one who has proven they can even be as serviceable as Lauvao was for the whole course of a season - and for the record I’d feel the same way if we had drafted Nelson or Hernández. Until rookies prove they belong it’s a question mark.

3. NT - again, see above.

4. CB - I think we are going to find out real quick that we aren’t going to miss Bree and but it remains to be seen. I think Dunny is equal to Bree in coverage and he has better hands and I think Moreau has the potential to be a #1. He has more natural size/talent than any corner we’ve had on our roster since Hall in his prime in the early part of this decade.

5. Obviously we also have a question at slot corner because of Fuller being traded for Alex Smith. I think Scandrick is still a good player but it remains to be seen. Gruden also said Moreau has worked some at slot but obviously he needs more work there and would have to prove himself. Then Holsey and Stroman both have experience from college at both inside and outside corner but they haven’t proven themselves either.

So I count 5 questions. I’m not worried at all about RB personally but it’s still a question mark.

Now, the question becomes how worried about these other issues on a scale of 1 to 10?

I’d say I’m at about a 3. I think the LG position with work itself out between Nsekhe, Franklin, Clemmings Welsh or Kouandjio. The corner positions will work themselves out I believe because we have 3 talented guys for 2 spots. Same with NT, we have 3 talented guys there.

I know I’m in the minority but I’m not worried one lick about Alex Smith and the passing game. Obviously there’s many questions with the passing game but I think they’ll all get worked out. Clearly there’s a question if they can gel, if Crowder can find his handles again, if Doctson can take the next step, if Reed can stay on the field and if Richardson can have a repeat season from last year or improve. I think he can improve personally, I love Russell Wilson but he doesn’t perform well usually in the timing of the offense and he’s a scrambler, this hurts his WRs. Richardson could see an uptick in targets and performance w/ a more traditional pocket passing qb like Smith than what he had with Wilson. 

1 hour ago, Woz said:

If the Redskins trade for him today or tomorrow, they can execute his 5th year option. At that point, he won't be a free agent in March. Granted, they would be on the hook for about $9M in 2019 for the privilege, but at least he'd be under contract.

Ohhhh thanks Masta Woz. The best contract guy in the business hands down.

49 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Ray isn’t a good player. 

But he doesn’t currently play for the Redskins so obviously if we get him he has to be better than what we have right?

... in case you couldn’t tell the sarcasm is strong.

Just now, turtle28 said:

Ohhhh thanks Masta Woz. The best contract guy in the business hands down.

Now, given that the Broncos just declined his option, I don't know if a team that trades for him could change that or not.

48 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

But he doesn’t currently play for the Redskins so obviously if we get him he has to be better than what we have right?

... in case you couldn’t tell the sarcasm is strong.

I don't think anyone was saying acquire Shane Ray to replace our starters.  It was more like pick up him to replace Galette's role.  

7 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I don't think anyone was saying acquire Shane Ray to replace our starters.  It was more like pick up him to replace Galette's role.  

I assumed you wanted anyone but Preston Smith starting.

We also signed this guy named McPhee who was more productive than Galette in less games last year and is a more versatile OLB/DE because he can play the run better. He is bigger/stronger than Galette and he can even slide inside at 270 pounds (not Galette’s 250). We’ve filled the need.

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Thank you. This was my point. 

Given Mknight’s history of being anti-Preston Smith how was anyone supposed to know that he didn’t want to trade for Ray to replace Smith?

I understand you didn’t, but those are two separate things.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Given Mknight’s history of being anti-Preston Smith how was anyone supposed to know that he didn’t want to trade for Ray to replace Smith?

I understand you didn’t, but those are two separate things.

I think some times talented players simply need a change of scenery. If he could be had for a late round pick then why not? He’d add depth to our pass rush. He’s not here to replace starters. 

Archived