2018 NFL DRAFT DISCUSSION

Thaiphoon

Vegas list their post draft expected win totals.

https://www.chatsports.com/nfl/a/vegas-releases-new-post-draft-2018-nfl-win-totals-every-team-38431

I gotta agree with them.

People see all this improvement happening after the draft. Well every team we faced improved too. Giants and Eagles have spent their entire offseason doing better than we have. Thankfully Dallas hasnt. But teams we will be playing like the Jets, Cards and Bucs are a whole lot more dangerous now than they were a week ago.

3 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

https://www.chatsports.com/nfl/a/vegas-releases-new-post-draft-2018-nfl-win-totals-every-team-38431

I gotta agree with them.

People see all this improvement happening after the draft. Well every team we faced improved too. Giants and Eagles have spent their entire offseason doing better than we have. Thankfully Dallas hasnt. But teams we will be playing like the Jets, Cards and Bucs are a whole lot more dangerous now than they were a week ago.

Eagles have a starting qb who currently can’t run full speed and the Giants still have dumbo face Eli. Wentz isn’t going to be the same - especially to start the season. 

9 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I gotta agree with them.

6.5 may seem low to a lot of you, but notice they favor the over too.

19 hours ago, turtle28 said:

It also doesn’t bother me if we are backing into the playoffs again because as I’ve said for two years straight, our team is young and developing - except at QB and a handful of other positions out of 22.

The most important position in football.

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Eagles have a starting qb who currently can’t run full speed and the Giants still have dumbo face Eli. Wentz isn’t going to be the same - especially to start the season. 

Which makes it suck we play the Eagles twice in December, at end of the season. I wish we could have jumped them early, even if first game. Dont know why theyre stuck on the back end both times.

Giants now have Barkley, Im not so much worried about Eli. Plus added Will Hernandez. As much as we improved from the draft. Im just saying the Giants improved just as much. Were not the only ones that got better.

This team won 7 games with a plethra of injuries (#1 in NFL), no ability to stop the run, no running game & a QB who didn't want to be here.

We now are healthy again!

We turned an average D-line into a strength.

We have 2 dangerous running backs now.

Arguably still the best TE combo in the league.

A QB who knows how to win & a soft schedule early in the season.

If healthy, I expect nothing short of a 12-4 record.

Unfortunately, the health of this team has been a detriment during the season for sometime now.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

The most important position in football.

Yeah, but we don’t have a bad qb, we have a good one. Arguably the best qb in the division bc Wentz won’t be the same right away returning from his torn ACL.

26 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, but we don’t have a bad qb, we have a good one. Arguably the best qb in the division bc Wentz won’t be the same right away returning from his torn ACL.

How are we going to praise Alex Smith for being a winner while skirting around Nick Foles' being a bigger winner?

On 4/30/2018 at 1:14 PM, Jeezy Fanatic said:

How are we going to praise Alex Smith for being a winner while skirting around Nick Foles' being a bigger winner?

Sample size. I’ll also say that I don’t think Foles beats the Redskins twice last year - if at all. The reason we lost to the Eagles had a lot to do with Wentz making amazing plays and avoiding sacks in the pocket, at least 2 in each game. If those plays don’t happen and we get those sacks, I think we win both games vs the Eagles. 

The thing that gets me about that win projection is that last year we won 7 games. With the most injuries in the league and one of the three toughest schedules. 

Between additions and expected reasonable health, I think we clearly got a lot better at RB and DL and will also likely be improved at WR. For health reasons (Williams/Moses, Reed, and Nicholson in particular), we should hope to get better production out of the OL, TE, and S spots as well. We’ll likely be worse at CB and probably about the same at LB and on ST.

That leaves the QB spot, which obviously has been discussed to death, but I think at the end of the day it’s most reasonable to expect us to break even there (for 2018 at least).

We went 1-5 last season against the NFCE. The Giants certainly did improve, but does anyone expect us to do worse than 1-5 in the division? I certainly don’t. I think we’ll probably do at least a win better in division. Which means for us to have a worse record than last season, we’d have to be multiple games worse against the NFCS and AFCS plus GB and ARI than we were last year against the NFCW and AFCW plus MIN and NO.

I have a hard time envisioning that, to be honest. I think the reasonable range for this team is probably 7-9 wins, with an outside chance for 5-6 wins or 10-11 wins depending on luck (in-game and schedule strength) and health. Personally, I would have set the over/under at 7.5 wins for this team. I think 6.5 wins is too low. And quite frankly, I think it’s low enough that I might put some money on proving them wrong.

3 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

We had a good draft. I could see myself being willing to bump my preseason prediction to 2 wins, but want to make sure I don't get caught in the moment.

Jeezy I’m glad I’m a U fan and every U fan I know brighten my day like your posts lol

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

The thing that gets me about that win projection is that last year we won 7 games. With the most injuries in the league and one of the three toughest schedules. 

Between additions and expected reasonable health, I think we clearly got a lot better at RB and DL and will also likely be improved at WR. For health reasons (Williams/Moses, Reed, and Nicholson in particular), we should hope to get better production out of the OL, TE, and S spots as well. We’ll likely be worse at CB and probably about the same at LB and on ST.

That leaves the QB spot, which obviously has been discussed to death, but I think at the end of the day it’s most reasonable to expect us to break even there (for 2018 at least).

We went 1-5 last season against the NFCE. The Giants certainly did improve, but does anyone expect us to do worse than 1-5 in the division? I certainly don’t. I think we’ll probably do at least a win better in division. Which means for us to have a worse record than last season, we’d have to be multiple games worse against the NFCS and AFCS plus GB and ARI than we were last year against the NFCW and AFCW plus MIN and NO.

I have a hard time envisioning that, to be honest. I think the reasonable range for this team is probably 7-9 wins, with an outside chance for 5-6 wins or 10-11 wins depending on luck (in-game and schedule strength) and health. Personally, I would have set the over/under at 7.5 wins for this team. I think 6.5 wins is too low. And quite frankly, I think it’s low enough that I might put some money on proving them wrong.

Well we still have a lot of question marks: 

- Although Alex Smith is a vet, we haven't seen him in Gruden's system and he's coming off a career year.  Will that continue or will he regress back to the mean?  

- We don't have a WR on the roster that has ever had 1,000 yards in a season.  Who's our #1 WR?  Paul Richardson has speed but he's had 1 good season in 4 years in the league.  

- Our starting TE barely played last year.  Our backup is 34 years old.  

- We don't appear to have a starting LG on the roster at this time.  Someone will have to convert to the position or one of the spare parts we picked up will have to start here.  

- Chase Roullier was solid as a Rookie, but he'll have to take another step to be a good starter.  

- Will Trent Williams and/or Morgan Moses be ready to play Week 1?  

- We added beef to the front 3, but can they press the pocket?  

- Can Preston Smith play more consistently and stop disappearing for games?  

- Who starts at MLB next to Zach Brown?  Mason Foster if he's healthy probably has the lead, but will someone else step up?

- What are we doing at slot CB?  Are we really going to pull all our chips on mega injury prone Orlando Scandrick?  Can one of the rookies step up here?  

- Who's our starting #2 CB?  Moreau?  Dunbar?

- Can Montae Nicholson stay healthy?  Were the positives we saw in his rookie year the play we can always expect from him?  

11 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Well we still have a lot of question marks: 

- Although Alex Smith is a vet, we haven't seen him in Gruden's system and he's coming off a career year.  Will that continue or will he regress back to the mean?  

- We don't have a WR on the roster that has ever had 1,000 yards in a season.  Who's our #1 WR?  Paul Richardson has speed but he's had 1 good season in 4 years in the league.  

- Our starting TE barely played last year.  Our backup is 34 years old.  

- We don't appear to have a starting LG on the roster at this time.  Someone will have to convert to the position or one of the spare parts we picked up will have to start here.  

- Chase Roullier was solid as a Rookie, but he'll have to take another step to be a good starter.  

- Will Trent Williams and/or Morgan Moses be ready to play Week 1?  

- We added beef to the front 3, but can they press the pocket?  

- Can Preston Smith play more consistently and stop disappearing for games?  

- Who starts at MLB next to Zach Brown?  Mason Foster if he's healthy probably has the lead, but will someone else step up?

- What are we doing at slot CB?  Are we really going to pull all our chips on mega injury prone Orlando Scandrick?  Can one of the rookies step up here?  

- Who's our starting #2 CB?  Moreau?  Dunbar?

- Can Montae Nicholson stay healthy?  Were the positives we saw in his rookie year the play we can always expect from him?  

All questions most nfl teams have ... just saying.

I read the other day that Gruden said Moreau worked some as a slot corner last year - I assume in camp and at practice during the year.

Gruden said Moreau will be competing for the starting #2 job, but don’t be surprised if he loses out on the starting job to Dunny or Scandalous that Moreau doesn’t become our next slot corner.

Archived