2018 NFL DRAFT DISCUSSION

Thaiphoon

Once they went with Christian in the 3rd, the ship had sailed on filling the 2018 LG spot in the draft. If you’re going into Day 3 looking for someone you take to be an immediate starter at a position of need, you’re courting disaster. 

In my view, they clearly will be looking to explore trades (like with SF, as I mentioned before) or bringing in a stopgap veteran option that’s still on the FA market. I like Austin Howard a lot, if they choose to go that route. 

4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

We traded for the Mr. Irrelevant pick? Awesome. 

Yep. I went checking. This is the first Mr. Irrelevant for the Redskins in the free agency era, and only the second in Redskins history (other one was Matt Elliott, 28th pick of the 12th round (336th overall) in 1992).

As for Shaun Dion, I think it’s a good gamble. Before the injuries, he was a pretty big-time player. Smart, can cover, minds the gap, hits the LOS hard.

The explosiveness may well be gone forever after those knee injuries — but if it’s not, he could be a legitimate possibility to emerge as a starter as a sorta classic 3-4 Mike LB. 

8 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Once they went with Christian in the 3rd, the ship had sailed on filling the 2018 LG spot in the draft. If you’re going into Day 3 looking for someone you take to be an immediate starter at a position of need, you’re courting disaster.

Wasn't expecting a day three guy as an immediate starter (especially after they went for Apke at 109), but the Redskins are hurting for viable depth on the offensive line. The guys they are either only signed through this year or former UDFAs/futures picks who are iffy to make the roster at all even this year. Maybe they get some value out of the collection of Orlando Franklin, Tony Bergstrom, Demetrius Rhaney, Kyle Kalis, Tyler Catalina, and Arie Kouandjio, but that feels like walking on thin ice.

Archived