Draft Thread

BigD1123

6 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

I know you will probably disagree with me but if you read between the lines he said the debate was Derwin James and Miller we know there is two draft boards. It came out Gruden has final say 

Tough situation. Gruden is right about positional need and drafting for the offense after years of defense picks. Even though it is a project at 15 and not a plug in player. McKenzie is right in that James is the far better prospect. If he was a corner or a defensive end I think we would have bit. I had said for weeks the most unfortunate thing is that Fitzpatrick and James were the guys we were lined up to have fall to us, but that they're both safeties. Which isn't a valuable position, and which we have spent alot of draft capital on recently. 

Guys saying Bryant will be paid too much to retain, then saying he wont be paid enough to get a comp. Pick lol well which is it?

If the dude balls out, which I think he is. Reggie's best attribute is contract structure, im sure well bring him back on a contract we can get out of it he acts up. Bryant was the best WR available, he is a legit baller. 

8 minutes ago, holyghost said:

Tough situation. Gruden is right about positional need and drafting for the offense after years of defense picks. Even though it is a project at 15 and not a plug in player. McKenzie is right in that James is the far better prospect. If he was a corner or a defensive end I think we would have bit. I had said for weeks the most unfortunate thing is that Fitzpatrick and James were the guys we were lined up to have fall to us, but that they're both safeties. Which isn't a valuable position, and which we have spent alot of draft capital on recently. 

Surprisingly sober post.

16 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I don't know much about Miller but I will say I didn't see him making it past the Pats at 23.  He was their main target as he would have been the prefect fit to replace Soldier.  Pure assumption on my part but if I am right and the Pats wanted him he must not be terrible as many on here are projecting.  There must have been a major drop off in talent after Miller according to the Raiders board.  I will say I would rather have Miller and Bryant than Mcglinchy.  

10 out of 11 'experts'' on nfl.com did not see him picked later then 23, and 1 had him at 31 in their mock drafts. And Mike Mayock has him at 31 in his top 100 players and at 23 in his mock draft. So i would think that its a fair assumption to make that he wouldnt be available past 23. And certainly shouldn't be considered 2nd or later round talent. 

I do think it was a reach at 15, but we don't know if there were interesting trade offers available to move back to ~20 and they'd also risk that Miller would be picked by someone else.

1 minute ago, Rich7sena said:

If they draft another tackle he's not making it out of the weekend.

Not sure on that one, unless we pick OT in round 2 and even then what's there to lose by keeping him around untill after TC?

Miller was graded out as a 1st round pick by almost all experts, but most also said he needed time to develop. Well let's give him that and keep Penn around for that to happen.

5 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Surprisingly sober post.

In reflection, OT was overlooked as by far our biggest need entering the draft. By FAR. A 35 year old LT coming off a significant foot injury and a revolving door of nothing at RT. 

2 minutes ago, holyghost said:

In reflection, OT was overlooked as by far our biggest need entering the draft. By FAR. A 35 year old LT coming off a significant foot injury and a revolving door of nothing at RT. 

I agree. A lot of us on here were hoping to at least sign starting right tackle this offseason to alleviate the need to take one early in this draft. Alas.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

This experience has taught me that draft social media is too emotional (my self included). Fact is, we don't evaluate talent for a living. We soak up what the media says, "research" draft twitter and youtube and mostly form our assumption based somewhere in there.

Easy to hate the Miller pick because he wasn't highly touted in social media circles. But he fills one of the biggest needs for 2018 and beyond. Maybe he flops or maybe he's like the C Dallas "reached" on in 2013 who is now a 4 time pro bowl player and all-pro.

One things for sure. Gruden zero'd in on fixing the right side of the Oline and traded for a deep threat. He's going to open this offense up and throw the ball around the yard.

Trust the process is all we can do.

Might be the best post regarding the draft on here. Watch the player, form your own conclusion on the player, THEN see what everyone else says. If they disagree who cares.. Believe what you believe, not what someone else tells you believe. 

Remember, the Raiders spend an insane amount of money to employ people who watch and research football for a living. The media tries to get us to pay attention to what they’re saying for a living.. Which would you trust to make football decisions?

If would be something to keep an eye on and Oakland does need to free up money to make room for Bryant. One OT that I would like to trade for is Trent Brown. He’s a scheme fit and could start right away at RT and allow Miller to focus at LT.

22 minutes ago, holyghost said:

Agreed I actually do feel better after getting a few hours of sleep we got an extra 5th plus Martavis Bryant. If ever we need Cable to come thru now would be really nice get him ready 

Even if there was a risk of Miller being taken by another team had we passed on him, so what! You don't pass on top 10 talent for a project guy. 

Is there that much separation between Miller and the other Tackles in this class that we could've grabbed in the 2nd?  

Reggie still has not learned how to take advantage of value with the pick over taking the highest rated guy available at a position of need.

Do we need to improve our Tackle position, yes, but you don't eleveate a guy's value based on need when better talent is on the board regardless of position.

I think this pick has more to do with the fact that we took Obi last year and Reggie probably didn't want to double dip into the well 2 years in a row in hopes that Obi can be what Derwin is projected to be...and acknowledging that the safties we've taken the past 2 years isn't on this guys level.

Then add the fact that Derwin went to a division rival....if nothing else stack up at a position, even if it's not a major need but still an improvement, and keep that guy from going to a divisional foe who we now have to go up against twice a year.  What's the worst that could happen?  We have potentially 3 stud safeties we need to find a way to get all 3 on the field?  I mean really how can Reggie say he was picked based on the tape when comparing Kolton's film against Derwin.

3 hours ago, holyghost said:

I count 79 right now which includes K. Miller and M. Bryant.

Which puts us at 91 after the draft. Gotta cut someone just to sign the draft class. And cut a whole crop of guys to sign a UDFA class. Good news is that there are plenty of cuttable names. 

Yeah. I was wrong. My morning brain messed up with the math. I had 79 players too from spotrac + the 13 draft picks would be 92. That is where that # came from. Then I got side tracked and didn't finish my thought correctly.

But yes we have the same point. A lot of competition just like Gruden said there would be.

Archived