1(3). Sam Darnold, QB, Southern California

NewAge

37 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

The most important person in our building other than Darnold is Jeremy Bates. We must keep him around for the next 3 years. 

That’s three years with Bowles? I think jets need to make the decision after this year what to do at HC. If Darnold gets a new regime that comes here knowing the young QB is already a good fit, then at least it’s early on and he’s still super young. We have to get it right with the HC too. Maybe bates gets a promotion, but I just don’t know if Bolwes can be a HC. Is Harbaugh a Sam Darnold fan lol? 

I'm so glad they went Darnold instead of Rosen or Allen. I had Darnold as my top rated guy followed by Barkley then Mayfield. I even had my 4 year old son stay up and watch the Jets pick. I told him that Darnold will lead the Jets for the next 15 plus years and you watched him get drafted. He smiled and sad GO JETS. Ya I probably should be in jail for child abuse letting my 4 year old son become a jet fan lol. The trade up was well worth the price. The Bills paid 2 second round picks to move from 12 to 7 so ya we did not get ripped off like  a lot of these so called draft guys think. 17 of the 32 GM's had Darnold as their number 1 QB. That right there is a good sign that more than half thought he was the best. Darnold checks all the boxes and has no really negative things besides the fumble problem. I'm not worried about the ints. He tried to make some very tight throws into traffic. The fumbles are not that hard to correct. If you notice that almost half his fumbles would not have happened if he just simple tucked the ball away and ran high with it like Tiki Barber use too. These are some very simple changes. His footwork could use some work but nothing that the jets can't fix. If he starts week 1 he will be the youngest starting QB in NFL history. That is pretty crazy. I'm think 10 years down the road he will only be 30 lol. Most QB would be in there early mid 30's like 32-34. I think his floor is Matt Ryan and his ceiling is about Aaron Rodgers. I think it is crazy to say he will not be good because he went to USC. Come on who cares what school he went too. AS JETS FANS WE SHOUD BE VERY LUCK TO GET THE NUMBER 1 GUY ON MOST BOARDS AT 3. We got luck 3 times in a row by having the best guy fall in our laps. 

I think Sam Darnold is the best QB with least red flags coming out this year.   How can someone people were expecting the Browns and Giants to take be a mistake for the Jets. Was Leonard Williams a mistake when he fell to the Jets? Was Jamal Adams? There is no guarantee about any of these QBs. With the right support and development I expect Sam Darnold to be the best QB since Joe Namath. Mark Sanchez was a one year wonder I never agreed with anyway. Sam Darnold came into college as one of the most talented QBs in football and he did not disappoint. Lets suppress our bias towards other QBs and give this kid a chance to grow. FINALLY OUR FRANCHISE QB HAS ARRIVED.

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13 minutes ago, famousj said:

I think Sam Darnold is the best QB with least red flags coming out this year.   How can someone people were expecting the Browns and Giants to take be a mistake for the Jets. Was Leonard Williams a mistake when he fell to the Jets? Was Jamal Adams? There is no guarantee about any of these QBs. With the right support and development I expect Sam Darnold to be the best QB since Joe Namath. Mark Sanchez was a one year wonder I never agreed with anyway. Sam Darnold came into college as one of the most talented QBs in football and he did not disappoint. Lets suppress our bias towards other QBs and give this kid a chance to grow. FINALLY OUR FRANCHISE QB HAS ARRIVED.

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell them this is not a good workout.

30 minutes ago, Malik said:

You say that like it's a long time and like it was a good 2 years.

In terms of college football yes it’s fine, Rosen only started 1 more year as a true freshman where as Darnold started as a RS Freshman and RS Sophomore. It’s not like we took a guy who only had 1 year of starting experience ala Sanchez.

44 minutes ago, Malik said:

Another inexperienced USC QB that beat up on unranked team but was otherwise middling against strong opponents. Fantastic. Fantastic.

What are you talking about. The Guy started 2 years which is about average for a college QB. He played against very good teams and did very well. He has been the Golden QB since he stepped on campus and did very well. You have to dig a lot to find any red flags on him. Ya he started last year out with some bad games but turned it on late. He also had a ton of injuries to the O-Line and his weapons. He was also rated the number 1 QB from 17 GM that is 17 out of 32 which i think is great compared to the competition he was going against to be the number 1 guy. I think we got very lucky that he fell to us at three. I think 9 times out of 10 he would have been the number 1 pick. The Browns and Giants did us a huge favor to pass on him. I wanted Mayfield because i thought Sam would go 1 or 2 no problem. 

7 hours ago, ekill08x said:

That’s three years with Bowles? I think jets need to make the decision after this year what to do at HC. If Darnold gets a new regime that comes here knowing the young QB is already a good fit, then at least it’s early on and he’s still super young. We have to get it right with the HC too. Maybe bates gets a promotion, but I just don’t know if Bolwes can be a HC. Is Harbaugh a Sam Darnold fan lol? 

Either that or promote Bates to HC if Bowles continues to make coaching errors. It's imperative Darnold sticks with him for as long as he can. 

Sure, we can always try to nab a super-star coach, but I think Jeremy Bates is vastly underrated for his ability to coach QBs. He had Jay Cutler poised to become a perennial pro-bowler prior to his departure, and I think a lot of Jay Cutler's missteps as an NFL player have a lot to do with not being able to stay in the same system with with he and the Shanahan's in those first 3-4 years of his career. 

Darnold has the raw talent, but he has learning to do. The good thing Bates does is define throwing lanes for the QB, asks them only to make half field reads, and will call a lot of boot-action for QBs who like to throw on the run. It will allow Darnold to learn on the fly if they choose to play him early. But what's critical is that Darnold has the right teacher behind the scenes so he can soak up all that info that will come in handy in years 5, 6, 7, 8... it's not all about immediate production, it's about having the right mentor. I think Bates and McCown are fit to be those people. 

Archived