1(3). Sam Darnold, QB, Southern California

NewAge

9 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

Still kinda stunned Mayfield was able to beat out three bigger guys. He better be Russel Wilson, but that alone is impressive. And the Jets probably had him at three too. Maybe it's not as simple as drafting the best specimen anymore, and how you interview matters.

I mean how you interview has always mattered. There have been so many middling QBs drafted in the NFL precisely BECAUSE they interviewed so well that loads of game tape was ignored. What's done is done though. I hope Darnold will play well and play this season.

6 minutes ago, DowNY said:

Joel Klatt said the Broncos tried to trade up to 2 for Sam but the Giants were focused on Saquon Barkley by then.

Broncos wanted to trade up for Sam, passed on Rosen. Very telling.

Wow the Giants are fools

21 minutes ago, Sandwhich2 said:

Rewatching the 2016 game against Washington and I remember why I had him right there with Rosen at the top. Game's impressive. Good command of the pocket, good seam throws, quick reads.

That was basically an NFL secondary too.  

I saw that the Broncos trade to move up to two and get Sam along with a few others. The Giants did us a HUGE favor by not trading and taking Barkley. I think Mac was banking on the Giants falling in love with Barkley which means we would have an outside shoot at Darnold. Like I said before his was an awesome pick. He will be a stud and it is amazing that he fell to us. I think he is the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck. I also love that he is still 20 years old. He could be our QB for the next 17-19 years if he works out. That is crazy.

So the more I think about this the more I feel Macc did a brilliant job all around in getting Darnold.

• He made a trade early that affected the way the top of the draft unfolded
  • By reports he tried to trade to 1 and 2 before make the trade with Indy.  He must have a gotten a good sense that both Clev and NYG where not interested in moving down. 
  • This may be conjecture by me but can't help thinking this..... Leaks start that NYJ love Mayfield and Mayfiled does not get past them.  Perhaps Macc does this on purpose to discourage Clev from selecting Barkley and then thinking Mayfield will be there at 1.  Knowing NYG are all in on Barkley thus discouraging them from trading down (Gettlemen did not even answer the phone Thursday night per reports).  Then boom we get our #1 QB on our board. 

I really think Macc played this beautifully.  It cost us 3 2nd rounders but that is not much of a price to pay to get a franchise QB.  Now Sam has to develop into that but I am very confident he will.

idk how you can hate on Darnold. People need to stop with the nonsense that USC Qbs don't succeed. That means absolutely nothing and this is not the same USC structure that those past QBs were in.

Darnold had a terrible OL and support last season, watch his highlights. The dude is escaping pressure routinely, he had no time and was still making plays. Fumbling is an issue that can be corrected, things that are tough to correct are accuracy and the instincts. 

I've been watching Darnold, this dude routinely fits balls into tight spaces as Wrs don't get big separation for him. He throws guys open, hes constantly scanning the field and going through progressions. I do not see him staring down WRs. I just can't believe this guyfell to 3, he is a legit #1 pick type prospect. 

Hes the new age QB too, one that isn't a statue in the pocket. He can move and is great at extending plays and the instincts he has with feeling pressure just can't be taught. I see qualities in him that every top QB has, hes a legit blue chip prospect.

I thought we were going to get Mayfield and I never liked him, I am happy we got the QB I wanted to tank last season for. Sam Darnold is perfect for this environment, he isn't going to give the media quotes and won't give them stuff to write about. I really believe we finally found our franchise QB, we might have finally caught a break and all it took was the Browns being the Browns. 

4 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

idk how you can hate on Darnold. People need to stop with the nonsense that USC Qbs don't succeed. That means absolutely nothing and this is not the same USC structure that those past QBs were in.

Darnold had a terrible OL and support last season, watch his highlights. The dude is escaping pressure routinely, he had no time and was still making plays. Fumbling is an issue that can be corrected, things that are tough to correct are accuracy and the instincts. 

I've been watching Darnold, this dude routinely fits balls into tight spaces as Wrs don't get big separation for him. He throws guys open, hes constantly scanning the field and going through progressions. I do not see him staring down WRs. I just can't believe this guyfell to 3, he is a legit #1 pick type prospect. 

Hes the new age QB too, one that isn't a statue in the pocket. He can move and is great at extending plays and the instincts he has with feeling pressure just can't be taught. I see qualities in him that every top QB has, hes a legit blue chip prospect.

I thought we were going to get Mayfield and I never liked him, I am happy we got the QB I wanted to tank last season for. Sam Darnold is perfect for this environment, he isn't going to give the media quotes and won't give them stuff to write about. I really believe we finally found our franchise QB, we might have finally caught a break and all it took was the Browns being the Browns. 

Exactly.  So if Darnold went to say Stanford then he would be 100% successful because Plunkett, Elway and Luck went there???  LOL  It's they player not the school .. he is better than all the USC QBs that failed. 

Darnold is on another league as far as college tape than Mark Sanchez. They aren't even comparable. 

Matt Leinart was on a stacked USC team and wasn't that talented. And unlike those two, Darnold is not going to make headlines for going out partying. 

Archived