Baker Mayfield No. 1

Kiwibrown

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Comparing the avg ypa on the back of a preseason game against vanilla non-gameplanning defenses as some kind of evidence for I don’t know what. That Mayfield is a downfield machine and Darnold is a checkdown master? And finding it funny that in your opinion, the opposite of what ‘Darnold fans’ thought is what happened.

All I’m saying is it was 20 snaps for both of them against bums in the first preseason game. Kizer was throwing bombs last year at this point. It’s pretty meaningless. I don’t even mind the crowning of Mayfield as I just see that as fanatic support which I suppose is what the game is all about. But every post seems to have some kind of dig at Darnold and those that liked him. I made a positive post about Baker and mistake tells me he’s surprised by my change of opinion. My opinion of his talent and potential hasn’t really changed. But him being a Brown has. Yet it’s almost as if I can’t support the dude now! I’ll be honest - this is what I think. I think he will be ok at best but I lean towards him being unable to overcome the high level pass rush and elite defenders of the nfl. Particularly interior pressure. I worry about his reliance on certain template moves often which I think work against basic athletes but won’t against top tier defenders. I thought before the draft that a 23 year old four year college starter #1 pick should be ready to play and excel straight away. I also think I don’t care about all of that stuff now because he is a Brown.

If you're not seeing a world of difference between Kizer and Mayfield, I think you need to get your eyes checked. Even on his incompletions, Mayfield had superb ball placement with the exception of two passes, one was his very first pass, in which pressure was in his grill and he hardly had time to act, the other looked like miscommunication between him and Callaway. You gonna follow up by telling me Kizer was anywhere near as consistent?

Yes, defense was not gameplanned, nor was it top tier talent.

BUT, Mayfield dominated, Darnold looked solid. Darnold was my #1, too. Maybe it was playcalling, or situational, Baker looked better.

I'm not going to base careers on week one of their first preseason, but it was clear which one outperformed the other last week. I'm still expecting both to flourish.

Nothing really matters until Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen, etc... go against 1st team defenses... with their 1st team offense...

If we really are going to talk about who looked this or that... we'd have to analyze the players around them (if they ran the right routes... did they drop the ball... did the OLine miss an assignment)... the quality of players and defensive calls the opposing team had out there... etc... etc... you know... real traditional football scouting analysis...

Given that it's preseason game 1... there is no evaluation to be made about the worthiness of a Baker VS Darnold pick...

Even if one was terrible and the other didn't miss a throw... that would tell us nothing in terms of their career prospects...

This whole... look at the preseason game... we made he right pick... stuff is hilarious...

Time will tell... both look promising based on the circumstance... but who cares... it's the preseason...

19 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Nothing matters until Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen, etc... go against 1st team defenses... with their 1st team offense...

Then nothing matters until it is the regular season. Then nothing matters until you have 3 years in the league. Then nothing matters until you do it in the playoffs. Nothing is determined until years down the road but everything that happens between now and then is part of that story.

There r some things u can see regardless of the defense or offensive teammates. 

Looked uber comfortable in the pocket.

Moves well in the pocket while keeping eyes downfield.

Goes through progressions and doesn't panic

Doesn't look to run unless necessary

Has a strong arm

Has good accuracy 

Those are very good signed for the future. How will he hold up against a gap pressure? How does anyone hold up against it? Pressure up the middle is the toughest thing to beat, I doubt its something he will be ready for right away. 

I just like how good he's looked in things that are tough to learn. He looks naturally good and comfortable. 

Darnold is also going to be a beast which is why I was good with either.

44 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

If you're not seeing a world of difference between Kizer and Mayfield, I think you need to get your eyes checked. Even on his incompletions, Mayfield had superb ball placement with the exception of two passes, one was his very first pass, in which pressure was in his grill and he hardly had time to act, the other looked like miscommunication between him and Callaway. You gonna follow up by telling me Kizer was anywhere near as consistent?

Yes, defense was not gameplanned, nor was it top tier talent.

BUT, Mayfield dominated, Darnold looked solid. Darnold was my #1, too. Maybe it was playcalling, or situational, Baker looked better.

I'm not going to base careers on week one of their first preseason, but it was clear which one outperformed the other last week. I'm still expecting both to flourish.

You’re missing my entire point. Preseason means almost nothing to me. It’s not like the real thing. Making judgments on Mayfield, Darnold and Kizer (the reason I brought him up) is pretty redundant when it comes to Week 1 of preseason.

12 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

You’re missing my entire point. Preseason means almost nothing to me. It’s not like the real thing. Making judgments on Mayfield, Darnold and Kizer (the reason I brought him up) is pretty redundant when it comes to Week 1 of preseason.

There will be hype from a good game but no one is making long term judgements on his career. He isn't even our starter. We certainly can judge what we see, whether good or bad. The staff will be making judgements from preseason games (and camp/practice) which will determine starters.

Our inactive QB last year looked good in his first preseason game as the backup for a team that made it to the AFCCG. They are all being judged each throw and each week. Kessler is now entrenched as the Jaguars backup, at least until next week. The stat lines don't matter but the performance does.

Yeah preseason doesn’t count but the placement on that Njoku throw, sideline throw to callaway, anticipation on callaway slant, the evasion of pressure while keepin eyes down field and when nothing is there still runnin for the first down without taking hits makes me feel great about the future.  I never saw kizer (or any of our qbs since probably like. . . Couch?) do that.. ever.

45 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Yeah preseason doesn’t count but the placement on that Njoku throw, sideline throw to callaway, anticipation on callaway slant, the evasion of pressure while keepin eyes down field and when nothing is there still runnin for the first down without taking hits makes me feel great about the future.  I never saw kizer (or any of our qbs since probably like. . . Couch?) do that.. ever.

Never seemed to fully invest in a QB other than those two either, always settling for a guy who fell to them or trying to “develop” a QB (and by develop I mean draft a marginal prospect, put little talent around him and play him immediately with the expectation of success).

1 hour ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Baker also made the right call to throw the ball away when he should have

I’m not gonna lie. It was just a weird feeling. I know before the draft some ppl on here and some nfl guys had some comp of a Brett Farve for Baker. Some of the plays and throws he was making were Farve like throws. Baker wouldn’t settle for the check downs on the 3rd and longs and was aggressive. Like the pass to Njoku was Farve like

1 hour ago, mistakey said:

The pass to Njoku gets better the more you look at it. Pre snap Baker knew the match up he wants, Chubb on a wheel route matched up with a LB. when he got the ball he set up for the pass but saw l it was well covered. He didn’t panic one bit or get happy feet. Just kept a good stance and worked his eyes back into the middle. Believe he saw 2nd option running across the middle but that lead him to Njoku coming back the other way and he throws a ball that only Njoku could catch. 

20 hours ago, nugpimpen said:

There r some things u can see regardless of the defense or offensive teammates. 

Looked uber comfortable in the pocket.

Moves well in the pocket while keeping eyes downfield.

Goes through progressions and doesn't panic

Doesn't look to run unless necessary

Has a strong arm

Has good accuracy 

Honestly, this is one of the things I liked the most about Thursday night.

And its not even that he ran when necessary, but he ran when he could get the necessary yards for the first down.

Not saying Tyrod is bad, its just the pre-season and doesn't mean this is what will happen, but it was a nice change to see the only 3 runs (counting the sneak) baker made was when he ran for 1st downs, as opposed to what we are used to seeing like when Tyrod on 3rd and 7 ran for 4....

Maybe I am crazy... But I think the likelihood of both Darnold and Mayfield being top-15 starting QBs is noticeably higher than both busting, or one busting and the other becoming the next Tom Brady. They both project to be very good. We just will need to wait and see for both of them to start.

Archived